Sponsored by:

Calling All PCCB Victims

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 05:37 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only say. if you RACE then buy the ORIGINAL cup rotors. I mean the original cup not the gt2 steel. Both look the same and both fit but the cup one is stronger. this was always teh case. in the first 944 Turboi cup or the big reds in the 964 cup cars which was as big as the one on the street cars but better build etc etc.
the real race parts are more expensive but they are better and last longer. you can change the steel rotors five times for the price of one PCCB.
put the cup pads also on the track and you have a perfect set up which Porsche use in le Mans or in the Supercup. Why bother with other non testetd stuff.
steet is street and racing is racing.. They have nothing common!

Konstantin
Old 08-26-2004, 05:49 AM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Konstantin
put the cup pads also on the track and you have a perfect set up which Porsche us ein le Mans or in the Supercup. why bother with other non testetd stuff.
steer is street and racing is racing.. They have nothing common!

Konstantin
Very valid apart from the fact that Porsche Cup Cars are to run PCCB next year. Cant see a race team forking out £10K per race for pads and disks.....

Might be worth investigating what the motorsport verison of the PCCB disk is priced at and a part number. Anyone?

You could always use one of Mr Wedgewoods finest....
Old 08-26-2004, 05:57 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It is known that Porsche had three version of The PCCB. The first too were to "agressive" and too loud for the street driver so they choosed a mor ecomfort version.
It is not a problem to make strong rotor and a pad. The Problem is that it is not comfortable enough for the street.

Konstantin
Old 08-26-2004, 11:22 AM
AW
Pro

> steer is street and racing is racing.. They have nothing common!

I don't race my GT2... I have purpose built race cars for that. I just want to have fun with it at the track every once in a while and drive it in the street daily. PCCB cannot do that.

AW
Old 08-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well it depend how long you track the car and how hard you are on the brakes.
For normal track driving and some laps at Nurburgring is ok. If you want to get the best times then it is not ok

Konstantin
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Ferrari seems to have stepped up their marketing efforts in their version of PCCB. Granted, I dont feel the Ferrari owners will track their cars as hard or as often as the Porsche crowd, but this could be a worthwhile comparison to keep in touch with.. May be valid arguing point in fighting with Porsche on this matter..

When I read about Porsche customers having trouble with their product, and getting the 'well you tracked the car, so we cant help you' speach, or should I dare say excuse, it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I thought Porsche meant Racing in english?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Chris, Ferrari warrants their ceramic brakes on the track. Porsche doesn't. What's wrong with this picture? Clearly Porsche overestimated the durability of PCCB as delivered and have now come clean saying "no good for track".
Old 08-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Chris,
Come to Europe and see the Ferrari owners on the track. They race em just as hard and just as often as Porsche owners do. I would also say that they wreck them more often as well.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Old 08-27-2004, 10:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
Dear Chris,
Come to Europe and see the Ferrari owners on the track. They race em just as hard and just as often as Porsche owners do. I would also say that they wreck them more often as well.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2
Adrian, would love a trip to Europe to meet the Euro Rennlisters and check out some track events. Someday, someday..

Glad to hear the Euro Ferrari owners drive 'em like they were supposed to be driven
Old 08-28-2004, 06:44 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Yeah, here in the states, Ferraris are rolling bank statements.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

I thought the GT2 GT3 were supposed to be hard core? Who cares about brake noise if the thing will stop on a sixpence with fade free brakes that last for life!

I repeat my early statement and see what sort of response I get. Porsche Cup cars will be running PCCB next year. How long will a set of pads and disks be expected to last for the racers and how much will the replacement cost be?

P.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Thumbs down Add Me to the List

As far as PCCB issues - I have tons of documentation and I would love to support any action. I was probably one of the very first people to experience a problem - and I've been tracking this issue ever since.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:05 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

Thanks for joining this quest.
To my limited knowledge, YOU were the first
to experience ' reliability' issues with the now famous Porsche
PCCB's
Old 09-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be in as well.........selling the image of a car capable of doing DE days as well as some lapping.....check Porsche NA web site and they have a video of a guy doing laps...no problem with lapping there...charge large money for PCCB with this promise of a superior product......then charge something like 33% of the value of the car to replace it and they think it's okay.......now i have to pay more money to replace the brake system and have a total of
$18,000 Can$ in brakes.....wow what a waist of money.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:13 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to follow up on the Ferrari comparison. I have in front of me the first road test of the Ferrari 575M GTC and it is titled Brake Discs (Rotors) the size of Pizzas.
The front ceramic/carbon composite discs are 398 mm in diameter. The rears are 360 mm.
The normal operating temperature is 600C and the highest measured temperature is 850C.
The 575 is running 19 inch wheels specially designed to enhance cooling of the whole outer disc surface.
Now here is the major difference in the marketing. Ferrari only give these discs 10,000 km (6,200 miles) life on the track or as they say "Sporty driving".
They are expected to last much longer under normal road driving conditions but they do not give an amount larger than 10,000 km (6200 miles).
During the testing period of one week no problems were experienced with the brakes.
I know that some will argue that this is not a fair comparison but I think Ferrari may have learned a few things from the Porsche PCCB saga and maybe as owners we can learn a few things from Ferrari.
The thing that sticks out in my mind from this whole Ferrari report is "Not" to expect a long life out of these ceramic/carbon composite brake discs anytime soon.
I wonder if Brembo have an internal solution of their own?
19 inch wheels, bigger discs and bigger callipers might be the way PAG have to go for existing owners. FOC of course.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2

PS: The new Ferrari 612 Scaglietti comes standard with steel discs (rotors) with 18 inch wheels.

Quick Reply: Calling All PCCB Victims