Sponsored by:

GT3s and driveways....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
MNJohn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3s and driveways....

I'm casually (more casually than a month ago-before the stock market "tanked") thinking of a GT3 in my future. I'm most concerned about driveways-as I have one and it has probably a 5-6% grade.

My Questions;
1. What's the chance I would bottom out on the 5-6% grade?
2. Does entry and exiting at an angle prevent the bottoming out?
3. If you botton out is it just the replaceable unpainted, black plastic portion of the front spoiler that gets chewed up or is there other damage.

Thanks for your guidance.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:23 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 573 Posts

Going at an angle will probably help but I scrapped my car leaving the dealership the first time I drove it! Learned my lesson... you could scrap the lip spoiler but you'd have to be going fast to really wreck it. You can also hit the brake air ducts as they are even lower but sit back a little further. A dead raccoon nearly destroyed one of those on my car when I couldn't swerve to avoid it...luckily they're plastic and replaceable.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:24 AM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a very steep driveway, fortunately, it's wide. I take an acute sideways angle and am able to get in and out withouit scraping. It's interesting if there are spectators, because the GT3 is so stiff, it lifts a wheel whenever I go in or out... The looks on their faces are hilarious. Cup car splitters are reasonably priced, if you happen to lose one. My biggest frustratin up here is the Ferries. Steep on and off ramps, and no room go take a sideways line.

Robin
Old 08-13-2004, 08:27 AM
special tool
Banned

MN - do you have a theodolite?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:10 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, my driveway is a mad shaped ramp with a deep storm gully, and I get one of my GT3 wheels a good 12 inches up in the air as I make the odd reversing sideways twist required to get the car out of the homestead everytime I take it out.
I thought that the spoiler would be history months ago, so I bought 2 of the Motorsport ones from TRG as my way helping their Le Mans effort, but haven't needed to put one on as yet. By being aware, very careful and slow on any knid of ramp all below remains just fine, and I'm up to 6K miles.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:52 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by macfly
Yeah, my driveway is a mad shaped ramp with a deep storm gully, and I get one of my GT3 wheels a good 12 inches up in the air as I make the odd reversing sideways twist required to get the car out of the homestead everytime I take it out.
I thought that the spoiler would be history months ago, so I bought 2 of the Motorsport ones from TRG as my way helping their Le Mans effort, but haven't needed to put one on as yet. By being aware, very careful and slow on any knid of ramp all below remains just fine, and I'm up to 6K miles.
Andrew - you should realize that the reason you haven't broken the spoiler lip yet is because you have 2 back ups in stock. It's karma you know - should you decide to sell those spoilers then the very next day you will break the one on your car.

I also am protected by having a backup but I only have one. You sir are a genius because you realized in advance how to double your coverage!

-Kevin
Old 08-13-2004, 01:37 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Move.

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2004, 02:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Like skl-scraped the front lip just leaving the dealership. I didn't know it was that low and I was going slow. You'll have to go real slow at an angle and make sure one wheel is on before driving. Once you get one wheel on you can go normal speed. And thank god with that lip-if it wasn't there I be scraping the spoiler since I'll be going faster. Regards. Mike
Old 08-13-2004, 02:32 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

My drive has a wicked storm gulley, its almost a 3" hump with a dip. I actually have to approach at a half angle, or back in slowly.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:18 PM
yongster
Racer

Everyone has the same story about getting into/out of their garage, and I also have a spare spoiler. It's also helpful if the gas tank isn't full.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:25 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I built a wooden ramp with wheels so I could go straight up/down my driveway. Some of my neighbors stare and scratch their heads as I wheel that thing out from my garage and position it at the end of my drive way. Unless I will be gone for a long time, I usually leave it out. Hopefully no one will bother to take it as its fairly heavy. I guess this is what it is like when your possessions take possession of you.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:07 PM
jim911
Racer

Talking coon hunting

skl, don't you know your to use the Cayenne for coon hunting!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I can usually get in & out without scraping. Not an easy feat when you get the wheel 4-5 inches off the gound:

Old 08-27-2004, 02:43 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I ripped the spoiler off the first time I pulled in my garage. Rented a U-Storage unit until I get a new garage built, nothing's too good for this baby.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Andrew:

What's the price for the lip spoiler from TRG? I need one.

Thanks

Quick Reply: GT3s and driveways....