Sponsored by:

Added a GT2 (still prefer the GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 05:09 AM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
@engerman thanks for the impressions. My wife now hates you! Any mods on your car? One thing I love about these turbo cars is that the price per horsepower increase so dang cheap. I just spent close to 30 grand for a horsepower bump that you can accomplish with a tune on a GT2!
Hey Scott, we chatted on instagram a bit. Other than buckets, (and pesky floormats ), it's a stock 996.2 GT2. I forget how I came up with my RL username but it's completely random.

Originally Posted by Typerbob
The gt3 has buckets and exhaust. Gt2 is bone stock. With 12k miles, it’s too close to the collector side for me to mod it.

Your analysis is interesting. No doubt the gt2 is fast, but I guess I enjoy the sharpness of the 6-3 more. Perhaps my opinion will change with more seat time. Don’t misunderstand me; the gt2 is amazing. However, I am comfortable after five years with the 6-3 in saying it’s the best car I have ever owned and is the one I would never sell.
I agree, and I wouldn't (and havent) modded/tuned mine either, it is too clean. Allow me to share with you my modding logic exceptions:
Seats:
  • preserves oem seats (no bolster wear LOL)
  • handles better = less likely to crash
Full Exhaust (i have yet to do this)
  • New cats, muffler and metal. No chance of old metal breaking off and grenading an engine due to a muffler deteriorating
  • sounds damn good and stops you from selling the car
Both mods are reversible and better for preserving the car, so it's a win win
Down the line I'll get a higher mileage GT2 and mod it a bit. I think the mods @997 tt/rs made threads about will make the GT2 as close to perfect as possible.

I think I see what you're saying. When you say sharpness, are you referring to the sharpness of the motor? If so, I agree. The way I work with the engine in the GT3 is so much more precise than how I use the GT2, but I think this is due to my lack of experience with the car. Staying in the powerband of the GT2 is really exciting as I feel like it maintains the feeling (steering & size) of the GT3, but it feels much more dangerous to do so, so I am not messing with that.
The GT3 works really well with me, the power is very predictable and forgiving as it revs forever and nowhere near as fast as the 2. Will upload some driving vids.

Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome
When it comes to early 2000s cars, the 6-2 is hard to beat - in my book it surpasses the 6-3RS and 360 CS. Can't think of any other contenders unless you open up the field to cars which are ~10x more expensive (e.g. CGT, Enzo, MC12).

On a site note: I think it's essential to compare similar spec'ed cars; e.g. clubsport vs. clubsport. I'd probably prefer a 6-3 with Euro buckets & 6-pt-harness over a 6-2 with the comfort seats.
I agree. I think seats and an exhaust are essential for any Porsche. I don't really get the hype around clubsport besides prod #'s. - I don't think there are any performance differences besides more weight?

It's very interesting that you say that; a couple of cars on the list you mentioned have been calling my name. Hopefully, soon I'll be calling their owners.

Quick Reply: Added a GT2 (still prefer the GT3)