Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

153 Mph indicated at Pocono Long Course with 2 infields !

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile 153 Mph indicated at Pocono Long Course with 2 infields !

PDA ran the Pocono racetrack with two infields (North course infield + South course infield).

I saw 153mph in 5th gear at my braking point before getting into the South course infield.

2 Z06s in my run group. My car was stronger on the straights than anything else on the group (including a modified Viper, modified Supra, M3s, vettes...).

I got a ride on an stripped prepared E36M3 (2630 lbs with RollCage). Very fast car in the curves, but a top speed of around 125mph indicated.

I ran 32f/34f psi on my MPSC with not good feeling. I went up to 34f/38r and the car felt better. Brakes worked great with my new GT3 Cup brake ducts.

I never drove a car so capable to transfer power on turn exists.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:49 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NJ - 153 on a track is flying - sounds fun. Do you have a side by side pic of the stock and cup brake ducts - it didn't look much different from the pictures I saw.

TIA /Bob
Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

They are not much different than the stock ones. Just a little bit bigger. I lost my stock ones at an automatic car wash. Replacement cost was cheaper for the Cup ones.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: 153 Mph indicated at Pocono Long Course with 2 infields !

Originally posted by NJ-GT
I saw 153mph in 5th gear at my braking point before getting into the South course infield.
That's crazy fast. I wonder what top speed would be if you ran the bowl.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:19 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 153 Mph indicated at Pocono Long Course with 2 infields !

"I never drove a car so capable to transfer power on turn exists."[/B]
so true.

if you follow 'vettes and vipers at a track, you'll see all that torque is wasted exiting corners. they're simply too light in the rear and can't hook-up the tires properly. 'sides improved braking performance with rear-engined cars, i think this is one of the 996s greatest advantages on the track.

sounds like you're quick. why a viper couldn't stay with you is cos the gt3 gives you the 'cojones factor'.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a Z06 on the short course at Pocono and had no problems putting down all that power. I found that the brakes were definately the weakest link in that car. And now that my friend has done the Wilwood upgrade, I'll let you know!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:40 AM
AC coupe
Instructor

Hey I like your new sig-picture! When are you going to talk me into a track day so I can draft your seal gray monster?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:14 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

July 25th. Time Trial at Pocono with PDA/MClub.

About 16 track days the next 3 months (WG, LRP, Poc) with EMRA/PDA/PCA.

I could show up to one of those BMWCCA events as long as you don't show up
Old 07-10-2004, 04:20 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally posted by NJ-GT
July 25th. Time Trial at Pocono with PDA/MClub.

About 16 track days the next 3 months (WG, LRP, Poc) with EMRA/PDA/PCA.

I could show up to one of those BMWCCA events as long as you don't show up
the 25th I'll be at the divisionals in Philly, but shoot me an email with the other dates...

Old 07-11-2004, 04:04 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

NY-GT
As to your tire pressures, a couple of points.
(1) I thought I may be underinflated with my MPSCs at 34/32 not long ago, and so I checked them with a probe pyrometer. To my surprise, I found I was slightly overinflated. If your pressure gauge is accurate, I can guarantee you that 38/34 is not giving you the grip the MPSCs are capable of producing in the turns. I've verified this with several other GT3 owners who track their cars with MPSCs.
(2) A couple of months ago, I decided to check my tire pressure gauge against 5-6 others at the track. There was a 5 lb. difference between the lowest and the highest. Two identical high-end gauges differed by 2-3 lbs.!
It's possible that your 38/34 may not be 38/34. It's conceivable it could be lower, maybe much lower. You might check this out.
In any event, I would recommend using a probe pyrometer to eliminate the guesswork and objectively get the right pressure for your set-up.
As to the 8 deg. shim, I've tried no shims, the 4 deg. and 8 deg. shim and I find my times are best with no shims, on high speed tracks with long front and back straights. If you're doing 153 mph with 8 deg., I would bet you could do 5 mph+ faster in the straights without the shims. Have you tried without? FWIW, we have 2 tracks out west where I am able to do a hair under 160 mph in the front straight without the shims. And, the car handles perfectly at that speed without shims.
Have fun.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:15 PM
E36S50
Advanced

Wow, 153mph is flying for any track. Must have been a blast!

A bit OT, but are you guys talking about 32-36psi HOT pressures for the PSC? What pyro. temps are you seeing? I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if you were over 200deg at 34psi hot, which is the upper end of the optimum range IIRC. I find the feel/feedback from the PSC is better if I am closer to 38psi hot, but maybe this is giving up some grip? Do you run more press. in the rear for added grip or because the extra weight is rolling the tire over too much?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Originally posted by E36S50
Wow, 153mph is flying for any track. Must have been a blast!

A bit OT, but are you guys talking about 32-36psi HOT pressures for the PSC? What pyro. temps are you seeing? I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if you were over 200deg at 34psi hot, which is the upper end of the optimum range IIRC. I find the feel/feedback from the PSC is better if I am closer to 38psi hot, but maybe this is giving up some grip? Do you run more press. in the rear for added grip or because the extra weight is rolling the tire over too much?
I agree with you about better feel with higher pressures, but I run the lower pressures (34/32) because that 's what's indicated by pyroing them (actually a little less than 34/32, but I don't know how accurate my gauge is). Overinflation will make you a bit faster in the straight, but slower in the turns. If one is not driving to the limit in the turns anyway, then some overinflation will appear to give better times, but if one takes the tires to the limit in the turns, the greater the contact patch, the greater the grip, the faster the speed, the better the lap times regardless of "feel". The best contact patch comes from proper inflation which can only be determined by pyroing your tires. Anything else is guessing. And, since all tire gauges are different, taking my recommendation of 34/32 may not be the right numbers for anyone else.
The highest temps I've seen were 199 degs. But generally, I run in the 170-180s on the outside tires depending on the track and conditions.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
DCLee
Pro

Default GT3 on track--

Larry et als--

I took one out to Summit this weekend for a NASA DE. Saw 147 mph at the end of the front straight--and this was waay before the first marker. Needless to say, I was massively impressed with the car. However, at speeds approaching 150 I got into the ABS on braking and produced some initial lockup--I was on the MPS street tires. For all that swept area, I thought the brakes would be a little better--is this just me?

Overall, I loved the car (alas, a loaner)--the torque is unbelievable. My only suggestions would be: better brakes (or more likely, pads); a little more Cup in the suspension to dial out that last bit of body roll; better seats (!!); the shifter still feels a little rubbery to me after using a Cup box and Fabcar billet shifter on my 3.8 RS.

Lee in D.C.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: GT3 on track--

Originally posted by DCLee
Overall, I loved the car (alas, a loaner)
Ok, what do you have to buy to get the GT3 as a loaner? Is there a Carerra GT in your garage?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:27 PM
DCLee
Pro

Actually, I am shaking down the car as part of a magazine story I'm working on. Normally, my gig is covering national politics, but the editors know I'm a Porsche nut--so I occasionally get to do some motorsports-related stuff. Life is good...

(If anyone wants to buy my just-finished RS Clubsport, all offers being considered. It's hard to go back to Kansas... )

Lee in D.C.

Quick Reply: 153 Mph indicated at Pocono Long Course with 2 infields !