Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C is out

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So get this. The serveless manager calls me this evening and tells me they can't find a problem because the PST2 can't read anything for the A/C in my DME. Their tech thinks it is due to my "aftermarket" equipment. When I asked what "aftermarket" equipment he is referring to (since I don't have any), he mentions my V1 radar detector! Can you believe it? I almost fell out of my chair.

When I asked him how in the world they think a radar detector that has been in the car since the day after delivery could possibly be all of a sudden affecting my A/C, he had no explanation. Then he said that they've had other cars in that they couldn't get a reading with their PST2 and that they were "chipped". I told him to get someone who knows something about A/C systems to look at the car and stop trying to find some reason to blame the failure on me.

This is unbelievable. If they persist, I will simply collect the car and take it to another dealership. Less convenient but these guys are a joke. I can't wait to hear their story tomorrow.

Karl
Old 06-10-2004, 07:50 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Karl S
So get this. The serveless manager calls me this evening and tells me they can't find a problem because the PST2 can't read anything for the A/C in my DME. Their tech thinks it is due to my "aftermarket" equipment. When I asked what "aftermarket" equipment he is referring to (since I don't have any), he mentions my V1 radar detector! Can you believe it? I almost fell out of my chair.

When I asked him how in the world they think a radar detector that has been in the car since the day after delivery could possibly be all of a sudden affecting my A/C, he had no explanation. Then he said that they've had other cars in that they couldn't get a reading with their PST2 and that they were "chipped". I told him to get someone who knows something about A/C systems to look at the car and stop trying to find some reason to blame the failure on me.

This is unbelievable. If they persist, I will simply collect the car and take it to another dealership. Less convenient but these guys are a joke. I can't wait to hear their story tomorrow.

Karl
In a word...Frightening!!!! Where do they get people like this??? Porsche needs to start a Technical College to train their techs before allowing them to touch our cars...I pray I have no problems with mine...All maintenance items I can handle myself...
Old 06-10-2004, 08:06 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

With my BMW, I bought another stock ECU.

I got tired of technicians blaming my modified ECU for any problems. At the end, problems were Fan Clutch, Water Pump impellers broken, dirty fuel lines. As you can see the ECU was related to all of them (JA JA)
Old 06-10-2004, 08:52 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,216 Likes on 663 Posts
Angry This is one of the reasons I am leaving BMW

BMW's customer service is terrible. The service dept is the worst, no matter what dealer you go to the story is the same. Car returned dirty, work said to be performed and nothing done, many more miles on the vehicle then when it was brought in, difficult to get an appointment. Just overall lousy service.

I thought by moving over to Porsche and especially getting a GT3 that the service would improve. I hope this is an isolated incident and does not reflect all Porsche dealers.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: This is one of the reasons I am leaving BMW

Originally posted by cosmos
BMW's customer service is terrible. The service dept is the worst, no matter what dealer you go to the story is the same. Car returned dirty, work said to be performed and nothing done, many more miles on the vehicle then when it was brought in, difficult to get an appointment. Just overall lousy service. I thought by moving over to Porsche and especially getting a GT3 that the service would improve. I hope this is an isolated incident and does not reflect all Porsche dealers.
Dealers are dealers. Some of them are pourly managed and poorly trained. And, none of them are perfect. Sometimes, it is pure luck, other times it is the customer's higher expectations and/or attitude that dictates treatment. I have been having my BMW's serviced and repaired at Beverly Hills BMW since 1995. I am always treated right, my car gets repaired as it should, ready as promised and clean. Others have complained about that dealership. On the other hand, I have had bad experiences with most nearby Porsche dealers. That's why I drive 50 miles to get my P-cars serviced.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:03 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: Re: This is one of the reasons I am leaving BMW

Originally posted by Viken
That's why I drive 50 miles to get my P-cars serviced.
Bingo!!! That's what I have to do when and if my GT3 needs something done I can't handle, except I have to drive 85 miles...For my Cayenne, the local dealer will do...
Old 06-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Originally posted by 4 Kurves
I had a catastrophic failure last week which I posted about. Basically, after running at the track all day with no AC, when I turned it on the impeller seized and then imploded.

All fixed now, no worries.
Don't turn the A/C off at track days, it automatically disengages when full throttle is applied.

We did a test on the Dyno and the differnace between A/C on and A/C off was 1HP.

Hope you managed to get your dealer problems sorted out, have to say that the one I use always returns the car washed with all the work carried out to my satisfaction.

P.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Karl S

Karl
Yeah, you know what their story is? "We sold this guy a GT3, collected a large profit & got rid of him so we don't have to spend any of that money"!

I will only buy from dealers that spend the money for proper service...period. I will pay higher prices if need be and will put my money where my mouth is. If everyone would do this, those charlatan dealers would disappear.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-14-2004, 06:10 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Yeah, you know what their story is? "We sold this guy a GT3, collected a large profit & got rid of him so we don't have to spend any of that money"!
Actually I have it on good authority that dealers don't make that much money on the GT-3.

Instead of an "outrageously high profit" (TT) they instead only make a "high profit".

LOL.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Update. The dealer left me a message late on Friday night (I was in Montreal for the F1 race) and tells me they fixed the A/C but NOT under warranty. They are blaming the TrafficPro radio I installed. He says the DME is looking for a CDR-23 and when it doesn't find it, it shuts down the A/C!!!!

Huh?? What in the world could the radio (or lack thereof) have to do with the A/C? I'm going by tomorrow to pay their ransom and get my car back. I plan to ask them to put everything they did to diagnose and "correct" the problem in writing and will pursue this with PCNA. I probably won't get anywhere but I'll feel better.

Karl
Old 06-15-2004, 12:57 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Why in the world would Porsche program a DME only to recognize the CDR-23??? Many people who have TT's change out their radio's for Alpine's and do not have this problem...Sorry you have a dealer like that...I would like to see them provide you hard copy evidence of their diagnosis claim...
Old 06-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Karl: I thought I'd read that the MOST bus systems wouldn't even start the car if one of the bus components was missing but that sounds like a very bad idea to me. I'm very curious to hear what they say the "fix" was as the obvious solution would be to use the PST2 to tell the car it doesn't have a radio.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the GT3 radio was self contained with internal amplification and not even a part of the MOST system yet alone the ECU. Sounds like a load of BS to me.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sloth
I thought the GT3 radio was self contained with internal amplification and not even a part of the MOST system yet alone the ECU. Sounds like a load of BS to me.
The GT3 radio is part of the MOST system. I recently had a new radio replaced on warranty, and it would only work after the dealer hooked up the PST2 and programmed the car to recognize the replacement radio. On the other hand, Karl's A/C/traffic pro issue sounds like BS to me.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Wow. The electronics in these cars is really starting to feel like "Big Brother". 1984, 20 years later.

Quick Reply: A/C is out