Sponsored by:

Brake Pad review

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Hubert - The post says "it's an endurance racing pad". In fact it the same pad used on the GT3 RSR cars at le Mans. Those pads did the full race without a change and the same rotors went the distance too.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tdf360
How much do they run per axle, and where do you get them?

Gary
Gary: I paid $120 for the front set, and I get them directly from cobalt @ cobaltfriction.com
The customer service is top notch.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Originally posted by Bob Rouleau
Hubert - The post says "it's an endurance racing pad". In fact it the same pad used on the GT3 RSR cars at le Mans. Those pads did the full race without a change and the same rotors went the distance too.
Bob: I'm sorry (as I"m dense), but which post are you refering to? Yours? Or mine? Are you talking about cobalt pads, or the pagid pads?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:55 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

I was talking about the Pagid RS-19 Yellow. It's an endurance racing pad used by Porsche teams at Le Mans and it works on the street too.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:19 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Hubert
I've used the carbotech panther plus (1109 compound) and while they had great initial bite, they lacked some modulation.
We tried the Carbotechs on our EVO 8 & got alot of braking "shudder" until they warmed up. Still got some pulsing once they got hot & it remained after they cooled down, but haven't checked to see if the rotors are warped or not. I guess that I will have to break down & get a dial indicator to check the runout. With 3 cars being tracked, we seem to be building a race shop here.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:55 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Larry,

I have had shudder problems when changing pads in the past. Pad deposit material on the rotors. Some pads are incompatible with the deposits left by others.

I have had success when using new pads on used rotors by filing a 45 degree bevel on all the edges of the pad. This is suggested by pPagid and seems to help with shudder and noise. It takes about two swipes with a file to do the job.

Best,
Old 05-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

I used the pagid oranges on by 996 then 993 RSCS, before switching to the RS-14 blacks. The blacks had much more bit, stop the car quicker and I never got any fad with them. They do grove the rotors and I had to change the front rotors two times a year and backs once. The oranges on the other hand do not brake as well, over heated, put deposits on your rotors and spider crack them. You end up changing the rotors as much as you would with the blacks at least on a heavier car. I know people who use oranges on lighter cars 2,000 - 2,200 pounds and love them.

I will probably use the RS-19's on my GT3 since I will not be racing it, better wear and I can afford to give up a little in the breaking department vs the blacks.

What compound come with the GT3 with steal brakes? They are yellow in color, but I assume they are not the rs-19's.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am also curious in the comparison of the stock pad vs. the Rs-19 pad and the RS-14 pad? Is there that more braking torque?

How are the RS-14 pads on a dual street/track use? Do they dust allot?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Just found this link, it has info on temperture vs brake torque for pagid.

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/fra...pads-discs.htm
Old 05-31-2004, 03:45 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Z06, great link, looks the the Grey are the best thing out there if I'm reading it right?

Also have just heard some very interesting things about the new Pagis RS-29. This pad will be the replacement of the RS-19 and will be knider/gentler on the discs.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

macfly, I was thinking the same thing about the Grey pads, my only concern is the amount of brake dust, when i was using the PFC 01 they were very heavy on break dust, a 5 minute drive and the wheels were coated.

We should try to find out some temperature vs. torque for the new RS-29 pads.

Hopefully someone has tried the Grey pads.

What supporting shops should i buy the Pagid Pads and Alcon rotors from?

I feel nervous with my PCCB, ticking time bomb!
Old 05-31-2004, 04:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Z06 - the RS-19 Yellow is not the same compound as the OEM yellow pad which comes on the car.

I switched for the OEM pads to the RS-19 and posted my comments on this forum. Macfly had similar results. The RS-19 has good bite and much more torque than the OEM it feels like the brake booster has been turbocharged.

Unlike some race pads it has a very nice release and linear response. Many of the high torque pads annoy me since the brake force increases quite a bit with temperature which makes it hard to modulate the brake force. Situations where you want light braking only - to balance the car can be difficult with really aggressive pads since the retardation increases with heat making me brake more than I intended. Based on four days of hard track use they wear slowly and are not too dirty. I like them a lot.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Z06

What supporting shops should i buy the Pagid Pads and Alcon rotors from?

Steve at Rennsport Systems has been pretty helpful on this forum re: the Alcon rotors, etc.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:07 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Larry:

I've run Pagid Oranges on the street and track for the last 8 years on a '90 C2 Cab, '99 996 Cab and now my GT2 (ceramic rotors in the process of being replaced with Cup Car rotors - fronts done, backs waiting for GT3 calipers to be painted GT2 Yellow) and recommend them highly. They're not particularly hard on rotors (for a race pad), work well enough on the street, don't throw a ridiculous amount of brake dust, aren't too noisy (see below) and work extremely well on the track with no fade.

The major issue people have with running them on the street is noise, but it hasn't been a big issue for me, perhaps because they always get a dab of anti-seize cream on the back when being installed. Occasionally they squeal a bit but a bit of hard usage quiets them right down.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad review