Sponsored by:

MPS Cups and RS-19 pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:50 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking MPS Cups and RS-19 pads

Just did my first track day with the new tires, front pads and fluid.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, Pagid Yellow RS-19 and Brembo high temp fluid.

The results are startling!

The handling is completely transformed by the tires. They have more grip, for sure, but the rigidity of the sidewalls makes the car feel like it's on rails in high speed turns (Willow 2, 8 & 9) I had no idea that a set of tires could make such a huge difference, or maybe I should say I had no idea the MPS2's were so 'wobbly'. If you are track minded this is an awesome upgrade, do it!!

The RS-19's in the front have made a dramatic difference to the braking, and I found myself unintentionally triggering ABS quite a bit as a result. The Brembo high temp fluid also stayed rigid and consistent all day.

The day, by the way, started out at 80º, by midday it was 100º and at 3.00pm I saw 104º. The GT3 is just incredible, I ran nearly 200 track miles, AC on, as fast as I've ever been, and didn't miss a beat or complain at all. I love my car!!

Old 05-04-2004, 05:28 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I noticed wright away that the MPSC were allot stiffer, have not had the pleasure of heating them yet.

Did you go with the complete setup as to Bobs specs, ride height 115 - 128 and camber and toe as said, sway bar setting were stock as well?

I was thinking of a little less camber 2 degrees front and rear with a little less toe. I do a bit more driving on the street.

As far as ride height my mechanic at DFC did a 1 degree angle slope where the front is higher than the rear, i always thought this was bad, any thoughts on that?............. i asked him to tell me the actual heights but he did not measure from the control arms he used the fenders.

Do you have the Alcon floating rotors?........and if so what did you use on the rear?
Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Andrew - turn off the AC on track. Good for at least a second a lap!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

Andrew:
You seem to spend as much time on tracks as professional race car drivers do! By the way, we booked Loews.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:30 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Z06

I was thinking of a little less camber 2 degrees front and rear with a little less toe. I do a bit more driving on the street.

I have 13' of rear toe and I'd recommend a little more than that. My car felt great most of the time but was a little unstable at times under heavy braking this weekend. Just for reference I have 3' total toe in front, 13' total in rear, -2.5 degrees camber in front and -2 degrees rear. Tire wear was pretty even across tread so I feel my camber settings are good.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Andrew - turn off the AC on track. Good for at least a second a lap!
Bob, it was 100º+ most of the day, too hot for me in the car without it! It is however the first time I have run the AC at the track, we're having a major heat wave here, it is hotter than a hot summer right now!

Z06 I also have the full suspension and ride height as sent by Bob_D, but I do very little driving in the car other than twisty canyons, mountain back roads, and track days. Yesterday my temps were very even across all 4 tires, the centre 3 readings were within 5º of each other, the very outside edge being the coolest by 15º or so on all 4 tires. Hotest temp seemed to be around 210º. Pressures were kept at 32/36 hot.

Phillip, I'm working on it, all I need now is to win the lotto, first thing I'd do is buy Willow Springs, and turn it into a west coast Barber Park!!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

AC on track, macfly you the man!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Andrew - I'll have my RS19 pads this weekend. How are they when cold? The Pagid Orange pads don't brake very well until they are warmed up a bit marginal backing out of the driveway. How are the Yellows? By the way in your earlier post about alignment, I think you are using the specs I sent you. If so you have 5/32nd rear toe. My experience with 3/32 total rear toe was similar to Bob_D's. If you can afford the additional tire wear more toe is better. Racing with no limit of tires, 8/32 rear toe was popular for qualifying!

Z06 - measuring my GT3 I got 25 7/8 inches and 25 1/4 inches front and rear measure from the floor to the fender lip. Usually a 911 has a one degree angle slope down towards the front. Sounds like yours is the revers.

Regards,
Old 05-05-2004, 12:45 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Bob, you are quite right, it was you, my mistake!
It is as per RK's set up, and is stunningly good, I am completely blown away by the car now.

The RS-19 seem to be good cold, but it has been in the high 90's -100's since having them fitted, so getting a real cold feel has been a little hard! They are significantly more aggressive at the track, and really pull up the car hard, going into ABS with not that much brake pressure. Very easy to use and modulate due to the gentler touch required to work them hard.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:08 AM
mds
Pro

The RS-19 seem OK on the street as well as the track. I put them on the car the day I took delivery last November. Cold, hot, wet, dry, what ever, they seem fine to me with little friction nor modulation difference. But I never drove the stock pads so I can't compare to those.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Bob,

I think the mechanic at DFC (part time with Fiorano) measures by the fenders and not the control arms, so by what you have posted it would appear that the front is higher but as far as i know you can not accurately measure from the fenders.
I will measure it tomorrow myself and compare it to yours, the car feels okay, have not tried it at real speed yet.

Thanks,
Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Z06 - The fenders are at different heights so the difference front to rear doesn't indicate the angle of the car. Let me know what yours look like. My measurements were approximate by the way could be off by a sixteenth - it was quick and dirty.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:34 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bob Rouleau
If so you have 5/32nd rear toe. My experience with 3/32 total rear toe was similar to Bob_D's. If you can afford the additional tire wear more toe is better.
Hey Bob - can you elaborate more on this? I'm chasing two possible causes for this problem of instability under heavy braking. My first thought was that I could use a little more rear toe and the second thought was that the black pads in the rear were a little too grabby and throwing off my bias. In the description of pagid oranges on the Pagid website it says "It (orange pad) is a very good rear compound for Touring Car applications in combination with RS 14 (black) front pads"

I also had a little instability at one point on the track where you come over the crest of a hill - that obviously is not pad related but the other could be or maybe a little more toe would help both.

It wasn't really bad so I'll probably leave it for now and do some more testing when I have time at my local track. Alignments are not cheap.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Bob,

I got 25 1/4 front and rear
Old 05-05-2004, 08:33 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Sounds like your front is a little high by the SWAG meter. I'll go measure mine.

Quick Reply: MPS Cups and RS-19 pads