Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Upgrading Items......

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 04:49 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

WRT exhaust: few will give any performance improvement, most will reduce performance - plenty of threads to support this. The Fister mod will improve the sound quality, and will make the car seem faster.

WRT modding he interior, balance off the loss in value with personal satisfaction. You can and should keep the original parts, so that you can return the car to original when you want to move on. Avoid doing anything permanent unless you really plan plan on keeping the car. The suspension is a good place to make changes that will help, once again keep the old parts. The value of these cars is just crazy now. Suspension can be a good shock kit like Ohlins that will improve the road / street feel without messing things up. A really good alignment, with height adjustment will also improve things

Ray
Old 12-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
WRT exhaust: few will give any performance improvement, most will reduce performance - plenty of threads to support this. The Fister mod will improve the sound quality, and will make the car seem faster.

WRT modding he interior, balance off the loss in value with personal satisfaction. You can and should keep the original parts, so that you can return the car to original when you want to move on. Avoid doing anything permanent unless you really plan plan on keeping the car. The suspension is a good place to make changes that will help, once again keep the old parts. The value of these cars is just crazy now. Suspension can be a good shock kit like Ohlins that will improve the road / street feel without messing things up. A really good alignment, with height adjustment will also improve things

Ray
Recommendations for exhausts that do boost performance, but not necessarily overall loudness?
Old 12-07-2021, 05:43 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
Recommendations for exhausts that do boost performance, but not necessarily overall loudness?
Hi Marv,

M&M out of Germany will help with performance - FVD carries them (I think) - both street and race. I *think* that Dundon claims to have a good increase with their system. Anything that works will be expensive - $5K or more

Ray
Old 12-07-2021, 05:58 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,729 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9962026...0-mm-tips.html

this is what i have found so far as a performance upgrade with sound control but dont know for sure. It does come with a price.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:47 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

I like how this thread is sounding..........
Old 12-07-2021, 09:53 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm at a crossroads, thinking I joined the 996 GT3 party 5-10 years too late. It does not seem like that many people upgrade them any more. Parts and cool stuff are more $$ these days.
With higher values, I'm sometimes a little more hesitant to drive it or take it to the track, and similarly hesitant to modify it more..
But, mine is not a low miles pristine example and already has some mods, so I probably shouldn't worry about it too much.

On interior upgrades, I kind of like the look of the console delete, and carbon door sills.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:28 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
... It does not seem like that many people upgrade them any more. Parts and cool stuff are more $$ these days..
There is very little of my car that is original GT3 - although it is all Porsche and quite a bit is Porsche Motorsport. There are times that I regret this - esp when I see these things going for north of $150k, but, assuming that it stays glued together, it is one serious track weapon...

Bottom line, it is a car, figure out how it will make you happy - either by letting it appreciate in value in some environmentally controlled parking space or driving it 'like you stole it'.

Ray
Old 12-08-2021, 12:01 PM
ChaoticSquare
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want an investment put the money in the market. Prices are high right now for low mile examples, but then what do you do with it? Say you have it and don’t drive it for fear of lowering its value? Not modify it to your liking because of what some stranger perhaps years down the road will think? Really comes down to what you see the car as: a car to enjoy or an investment.

Exhaust wise NA engines don’t gain a lot if any additional power. What you will gain is a massive weight reduction getting rid of the heavy stock mufflers. Gaining 5hp isn’t measurable except on a machine; dropping significant weight you will feel. Sound is all relative to a person’s ears, and if you go to a track make sure it will be below any thresholds they have. I’d go the 997 route for the sound and look, but I don’t have a low mile example.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChaoticSquare:
Marv (12-08-2021), racingfan (12-09-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 01:15 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The point I wanted to make are that unless you have a very good system, you are more likely to LOSE hp!

Last edited by rbahr; 12-08-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:10 PM
ChaoticSquare
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
The point I wanted to make are that unless you have a very good system, you are more likely to LOSE hp!
Very true…
Old 12-08-2021, 05:29 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Any thoughts on adding an M&M X Pipe 200 Cell Sport Cat?

Any DME changes necessary?

Last edited by dukmon; 12-08-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Check with your state inspection Poobahs. Some states are requiring a visual inspection and OEM parts.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:24 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Doesn't happen here in South Carolina.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If its in your budget, I highly recommend an X pipe style exhaust. The sound is generally more high pitched than a stock-style exhaust without a crossover pipe. FVD (M&M)/Dundon/Kreisseig/SpeedTech exhausts all have X pipes and sound nice. It looks like fabspeed makes an x-pipe exhaust now as well, but I cant find a video of what it sounds like.

Videos:

Car with non X pipe aftermarket exhaust
X Pipe Aftermarket Exhaust
X Pipe Aftermarket Exhaust Driveby
Old 12-18-2021, 04:48 PM
rocket930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gt 3 upgrades

I would do any add ons
that make the car the way you want
keep in mind to save all factory parts you
take off and put in baggies and label and take pixs
try not to do anything that can’t be changed back to stock
and drive the car

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Upgrading Items......