Sponsored by:

Choosing a 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 04:53 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Second, Derek Bell signed the inside of our car's hood. Not likely to get another. Incidentally, Derek is a real special guy. We had a long talk with him and his career a number of years back. He has spirit.
Very cool. I've never owned a Porsche until picking up my GT3 a few years ago, but in the '80's I saw Al Holbert and Derek Bell in their Lowenbrau Special Porsche 962C at Watkins Glen running the Camel GT series.
At the Glen in those years you could walk all around the track, and hang out a different corners. My most vivid memories are of that 962 coming into corners, the wastegate chirping and flames shooting out the exhaust.
And then putting the power down coming out of the turn, it just stuck like glue and while it wasn't loud, there was a certain sound that made the whole experience amazing.
I was not really aware when I got my GT3 of the indirect connection between the 962 and the 996 GT3 engines.

BTW from that time period I also really liked the sound of the V12 Group 44 Jaguars..
Old 10-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
BTW from that time period I also really liked the sound of the V12 Group 44 Jaguars..
Ah, yesssss. Soon to be replaced with the high-pitched whine of brushless motors.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:18 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Very cool. I've never owned a Porsche until picking up my GT3 a few years ago, but in the '80's I saw Al Holbert and Derek Bell in their Lowenbrau Special Porsche 962C at Watkins Glen running the Camel GT series.
At the Glen in those years you could walk all around the track, and hang out a different corners. My most vivid memories are of that 962 coming into corners, the wastegate chirping and flames shooting out the exhaust.
And then putting the power down coming out of the turn, it just stuck like glue and while it wasn't loud, there was a certain sound that made the whole experience amazing.
I was not really aware when I got my GT3 of the indirect connection between the 962 and the 996 GT3 engines.

I was lucky enough to see a couple of 962s in action at a goodwood style motorsport festival that I was driving in here in Aus back in 2018. Definitely not the loudest race cars out there and although they weren’t being driven in anger (more of a demonstration), I totally get what you are saying.

Derek Bell is also indeed a special guy. Just got done listening to his interview on 9werks Radio podcast. Boy has he got some stories.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:05 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
I was lucky enough to see a couple of 962s in action at a goodwood style motorsport festival that I was driving in here in Aus back in 2018. Definitely not the loudest race cars out there and although they weren’t being driven in anger (more of a demonstration), I totally get what you are saying.

Derek Bell is also indeed a special guy. Just got done listening to his interview on 9werks Radio podcast. Boy has he got some stories.
Yes, Derek can spin some yarns! I love his stories about the movie Le Mans.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:15 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 541 Likes on 354 Posts

Are there any White MKI for sale in the states?

Quick Reply: Choosing a 996 GT3