Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, I hd my car Dyno'ed and now have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 02:27 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts
Default So, I hd my car Dyno'ed and now have questions...

Car is a 996 GT3, with a 3.6l motor made into a 3.8l with Porsche 3.8 con rods, P&C's, Cup car exhaust Dyno is a Dynapak with up-to-date SW

Recent rebuild with everything replaced that was bad, Fuel pump is new, injectors are new, plugs, etc.

The ECU is *supposed* to have a Softtronics image, BUT for some reason when the motor could run to 8400 (Softronics moved the redline up a bit), it now seems to be back to the 8200 redline. Thjere were no codes other than the missing O2 sensors as I installed sensors to measure the A/F numbers.

Fuel is 93 octane + Torco additive, temperature ~ 70degF

I have NOT replaced the MAF...

What is disturbing are the A/F numbers. 3 pulls, 3 very different numbers, and in the top case, the motor is just dumping fuel...

Any thoughts, insights? How can a tune or a redline change go away?

Thanks

Ray

Last edited by rbahr; 07-11-2021 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:21 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts

What engine mounts? Jake Raby posted dyno results in the 996 forum showing the effects of semi-solid mounts and knock sensors kicking in.
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (08-07-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 04:30 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but solid mounts, knock sensors are not being triggered - checked. It is not a timing thing, but a fuel thing and the curious fact that my redline has dropped...

Ray

Last edited by rbahr; 07-11-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:51 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 372 Posts

Do you have a smoke tester? I can’t speak to the lowered redline but every time I’ve had wonky Afr’s or poor running conditions it is almost always a vacuum leak. And they can be so obscure and difficult to find, a smoke machine is almost the only way to find them. Good luck. Sorry you’re having this issue. Also, a new MAF would not be a bad idea just to rule that out. When I had my 996 turbo I used a very respectable tuner who would not turn my car without a fresh MAF given their propensity to slowly go bad even before they throw a check engine light.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:21 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Good idea, I don't have a smoke tester, but I can check for vacuum leaks, issue here is that some of these lines are almost impossible to see with the motor in the car
Old 07-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

FPR replaced recently? In the days of tuning Mitsu’s/Subies, O2, FPR, Maf where the first culprits. After that, injector cycles, the various sensors (knock, cam, etc).

Separate runs could fluctuate the intake temps. Correction for that will be taken into account.

Best of luck
Old 07-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Good idea, I don't have a smoke tester, but I can check for vacuum leaks, issue here is that some of these lines are almost impossible to see with the motor in the car
Unmetered air usually causes lean conditions. As for the tune, you’d have to hook it up and see the checksums and various bits. I’m sure you’re in that process already.

Vacuum pump. You might only need to drop part way to gain clearance like you would in replacing mounts.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:24 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanH.
What engine mounts? Jake Raby posted dyno results in the 996 forum showing the effects of semi-solid mounts and knock sensors kicking in.
I don't really believe any of this, or that it applies to these motors.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:40 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

There is a difference between setting a knock sensor induced code and simply triggering the motor to pull timing as designed..
From what I can tell the car has to get seriously out of tune to code a knock problem but I don't have a GT..
I could picture a multi part problem where maybe a vacuum leak and the hard mounts play against each other..

Just thinking weird symptoms = weird problem..
Old 07-13-2021, 02:02 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep, my go-to for weird problems is electrical. I had a loose - very loose, motor to chassis ground. Tightened that up and my redline re-appeared. I will also check a few other things, but I spent time looking at all the various misfire, roughness, cam timing stuff today and it was all good.

I had not finished my nut & bolt since I re-installed the motor...

I will nut & bolt, check the tune, and then reschedule more dyno time.

Thanks all

Ray

Last edited by rbahr; 07-13-2021 at 02:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DHI (07-13-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:48 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 372 Posts

That's awesome. With the few italians I have owned, its crazy how many times a running issue can be traced back to a bad/failing/loose ground. Glad you are making progress!
Old 08-03-2021, 01:11 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
I don't really believe any of this, or that it applies to these motors.
From what I understand the M96 engine is much more sensitive to this than the mezger units, so don't believe that would be an issue. I'm sure Jake could shed some light. My guess is this is software related.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:34 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Yep, my go-to for weird problems is electrical. I had a loose - very loose, motor to chassis ground. Tightened that up and my redline re-appeared. I will also check a few other things, but I spent time looking at all the various misfire, roughness, cam timing stuff today and it was all good.
Ray
Although I just re-flashed the ECU, pretty sure the problem was a bad ground, which I guess is a software problem...

WRT Motor mounts, I have been running solid mounts forever, don't have a knock problem. I know that folks keep bringing this up, but does not seem to be the case for the Metzger motors.

Thanks

Ray

Quick Reply: So, I hd my car Dyno'ed and now have questions...