996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ryan's Basalt Black 6GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021 | 07:50 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Can you replace the button head screws with socket head cap screws?

The head diameter of the cap screws will be much less.
Old 08-04-2021 | 11:21 AM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

@Marv From my feeble understanding of the design, it's intended for the spring to stay perpendicular to the direction of travel which should theoretically let the monoball perform better. Researching this, TPC Racing confirms that idea:

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
We have tried the counterbored spacer method for a few years and it works fine as a way to convert OEM conical rear springs to linear-rate straight springs. Unfortunately with the spacer mated to the top plate it doesn't allow for articulation of the monoball as the suspension travels in an arch manner so it "bends" the spring and side loads the shocks a little more than we like, so ended up making the articulating rear mount kit.
Old 08-05-2021 | 12:17 AM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

RyanH,

I went with the Tarett mounts. They work directly with the Ohlins spacer which has an 85mm ID. The Tarett mount has an 83mm locating boss that fits inside of the Ohlin spacer. Mine (over 4 years old) had the following dimensions:
OD 94mm
ID 85mm
Height 33mm (not including spring locating shoulder);
Overall height 40mm

I don't remember if the factory cup mounts worked with the Ohlins or not but they don't work with the stock GT3 spacer which is 100mm OD.

Old 08-05-2021 | 12:46 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

I talked to Brian Day at Euro Parts West. He explained that Ohlins designed their pinion (shaft that goes through the top mount) extremely short, which lead to the recall on the turbos and is my issue right now. This means running cup mounts or Mode mounts are not possible with the Ohlins, which is unfortunate. Ohlins partnered with Elephant Racing for top mounts to address the turbo problem so Brian advised to go with that top mount since it has a lower stack.

The spring seat pictured above is not as good of a design since movement in suspension causes the spring to compress unevenly so Brian is selling me 65mm spring seats that are similar to the front and bushings so that articulation of the suspension can happen without impacting spring compression. That'll be $700 please.

While I'm sorting that out, I shifted my focus to the brakes. I'll be sending them off to get powder coated so I disassembled them and popped out all of the pistons. I am waiting for Sunset to ship my oem front pads still (if anyone has an extra set and would be willing to sell, PM me). They currently have TRW pads on the front and I managed to get those to produce a burning smell last weekend coming back down the mountain after a couple high speed scrubs, which is the first time I've ever had that happen in the canyons.

Old 08-05-2021 | 01:07 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

You will find the OEM pads dust so badly that cars following you will think they just hit a dust storm.

I am still trying to determine which pads I put on my GT3 ages ago, but they have virtually no dust and work well enough for street and autocross. I would not track them.

I can't be sure, but they might be PBR semi-metalics. I do know they were a brand that I had not heard of before, but whatever is on my car now makes me happy.

The box has a part number of 7892-D991 M.

Again, I can't be absolutely sure that these are actually what is on my car.
Old 08-05-2021 | 01:33 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Ryan,

If you wanted to take some measurements, I could machine those seats to clear the bolt heads, might save you a bit of that $700, like all of it :-)

Ray
The following 3 users liked this post by rbahr:
4porsh (08-05-2021), Marv (08-05-2021), zbomb (05-14-2022)
Old 08-06-2021 | 06:10 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi Ryan,

If you wanted to take some measurements, I could machine those seats to clear the bolt heads, might save you a bit of that $700, like all of it :-)

Ray
Hmmmm...I didn't think about that. Maybe I'll go that route and sell the Elephant Racing mounts on the market. I've already mounted one so I shouldn't return it at this point. That'll also deal with a new concern with the Elephant mounts in that since the bottom of the mount is almost 2cm higher than the Mode mounts, the wheel carrier is sitting much higher in the car in the air right now to the point where I'm concerned that I won't be able to get to my target ~130mm rear ride height.

I should be able to do this in the drill press I think.
Old 08-06-2021 | 06:34 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Ray you are a good man! Ryan, this car will be so satisfying once its all sorted...hang in there!
Old 08-06-2021 | 07:00 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Ryan,

A drill press *MIGHT* work, but unless you have a good way to hold things you are asking for trouble. I have mills, lathes, etc and am very good at reducing expensive bits of metal to small worthless chips

PM me and we can talk about it.

Ray
The following users liked this post:
2mAn (08-24-2024)
Old 08-06-2021 | 07:15 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Lots of good dudes on this forum, and Ray is one of them.... generous offer Ray! Hard to beat a guy with machining ability

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi Ryan,

A drill press *MIGHT* work, but unless you have a good way to hold things you are asking for trouble. I have mills, lathes, etc and am very good at reducing expensive bits of metal to small worthless chips

PM me and we can talk about it.

Ray
Old 08-06-2021 | 10:10 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Ray, and others with proper tools, look away, not safe content:

2mAn (08-24-2024)
Old 08-07-2021 | 01:12 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Congrats!

BTW, Mode Inc will but new bearings in those for ~$150, did mine last year.

Ray
RyanH. (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021 | 04:39 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

The Ohlins install has been an interesting series of twists and turns. A few things I've learned:
  • Ohlins were designed for the GT3 stock top mounts. If you use cup mounts or other aftermarket mounts, pay close attention to both the stack height of the mount and placement of the monoball.
  • Placement of the monoball vertically in the car affects the ride height. The GT3 Ohlins were designed for a low ride height so if you want to follow the Kassmaul settings, for example, you'll need to make sure the top mount does not place the monoball too high in the chassis. The difference between the Mode mounts and the Elephant was roughly 2cm and the impact on ride height would have been more than 2cm. At maximum height with the Mode mounts, I'm at 135mm rear. The Elephant mounts would have put me in the 11X range.
  • Fully floating shock mounts (which I stated above I thought was a better design) where the shock articulates with the monoball isn't advised for primarily road use as it's a trade off of the bearing taking all of the shock forces vs the mount sharing in that. Any play in the bearing will then negatively affect ride characteristics in a fully floating design.
  • The rear cups, which set ride height, are shorter on the GT3 version to clear some of the suspension components. I think Brian Fowler at Ohlins said in the order of 2cm shorter.
  • The pins on the Ohlins are short, which can be a problem with various top mounts, particularly if you're trying to set them up fully floated. Mode top mounts plus floating spring seats was a no go unless I started shaving things down.
I need to finish setting up the suspension this week so I can get it corner balanced before the weekend. Right now it's just setting ride height. I'm leaning towards 125mm front and 135 rear since this will be primarily road use. Any concerns with that? Right now, without touching anything, it's 130mm front and 135mm rear and camber is roughly -2* front (top mount full negative) and like -1.5 rear.

I'll pull off my tires and snap photos to see if anyone has suggestions based on current wear.

Last edited by RyanH.; 08-09-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2021 | 08:13 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Wow, quite the adventure!

This is also helpful to me. My new to me GT3 has Moton Clubsports and we were perplexed why it was slammed and we could not get it near even slightly lowered stock height (getting good rake was also very hard). Yep, it has elephant top mounts.

Debating trying to sort the Motons out (couple other things I’m not certain about) or starting fresh with MCS and stock rear mounts. I have MCS on my 964 and love them.
Old 08-09-2021 | 11:28 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Motons are good shocks, MCS are also good shocks - IIRC some folks from Moton started MCS. I have used Anze Suspensions in Florida to rebuild my Motons.

Ray

Quick Reply: Ryan's Basalt Black 6GT3