Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Walter Röhrl's footwork

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:30 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems that most of these great films are only on video, here's a link to one site that I found (searched using google):

http://www.motorsportcollector.com/TSV.html

While we're on the topic of race videos: another series which I think is awesome are the BTCC In Car Experience Videos. Oh my, oh my it's unbelievable to watch these guys drive.

http://www.motorsportcollector.com/VIDTouringCars.html

As an aside, those BTCC tapes were a big part of getting me hooked into racing. I was soon off to an ITS-class BMW 325, car hauler and truck to carry it all. I'm better now and only think about racing a few hours every day.

- curt
Old 03-31-2004, 09:41 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by macfly
alain boisnard's "lap of the gods."
Rob, where can this be seen?
Is it on a dvd?
look here:

http://www.motorsportcollector.com/TSV.html
Old 04-01-2004, 12:09 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ewa1.com/cgi-bin/sshp/sho...d%3E&storeid=1
Old 04-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

If I understand correctly, the 959 Porsche was designed to do the kind of Group B Rallye shown in the video clip. Because of the speeds the cars were atttaining this kind of rallye became to dangerous and the rules were changed to slow the Group B racing cars and hence eliminated the 959 before it ever raced in rallye competition.

Seeing the crowds, I now understand what they meant by dangerous.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:19 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Silver996- The problem seems to be greater the other way. Rally drivers used to big slip angles have done well in road racing (from Vic Elford to the present) Even guys whe grew up sliding on dirt like Robbie Gordon and Jeff Gordon make the transition to road racing quite well. Guys who grow up on super-speedways and in formula cars can't make the transition the other way- it's very difficult to make themselves hold big slip angles (often over 45%) since any slip angle in their other world triggers an immediate corrective reflex. Mika Hakkinen reached the pinnacle of formula 1 after a Swedish road education (sideways) and is now transitioning back to rally where he's having some difficulty. One of the magazines has had an annual sideways contest, and the road racing and IRL guys have some trouble with it. Jeff Gordon ( who the Barber people have said may be the most talented guy to ever take their school and wins a disproportionate number of Nascar road races)) recently won an international rally shoot-out on a small island near Spain driving a variety of rally cars on a winding side-by-side cross-over track against the worlds most talented drivers from all spheres. Robbie Gordon ( who started in California off-road) nearly did it the year before. He too is no slouch on a road course or an oval but may have some problems with set-up. I got a chance to ride with Vic Elford at Blackhawk Farms race track, and I can assure you that his extraordinary rally skills translate very well to road racing where he drifts easily but not invariably. AS
Old 04-01-2004, 12:44 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by Alexander Stemer
"...Gordon ( who the Barber people have said may be the most talented guy to ever take their school and wins a disproportionate number of Nascar road races)) recently won an international rally shoot-out on a small island near Spain driving a variety of rally cars on a winding side-by-side cross-over track against the worlds most talented drivers from all spheres..."
he impressed the hell out of frank williams when he tested the williams/bmw f1 last yr. after only a 15-minute session, he was within 6 or so seconds of montoya's qualifing laps at indy--impressive, considering he'd never driven an f1 car!...when interviewed, gordon's dad said jeff may have been the best american driver who never raced f1. it was his dad's wish that his son test the williams.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:54 PM
fahren affair
Pro

...one last recommendation. ruf's video "faszination." hot laps at the 'ring in yellowbird, driven by ruf's test driver. there are incredible shots of power-on oversteer and tire smoke pouring from the wheel wells, while accelerating hard through turns!

http://www.weissach.com/parts.html
Old 04-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by fahren affair
...one last recommendation. ruf's video "faszination." hot laps at the 'ring in yellowbird, driven by ruf's test driver. there are incredible shots of power-on oversteer and tire smoke pouring from the wheel wells, while accelerating hard through turns!

http://www.weissach.com/parts.html
That's Sideways Stephan, as he's affectionately known. Certainly not the fastest way around the Ring, but impressive to watch, especially when you realize that he's not wearing a helmet.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:04 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Todd Serota [TracQuest]
That's Sideways Stephan, as he's affectionately known. Certainly not the fastest way around the Ring, but impressive to watch, especially when you realize that he's not wearing a helmet.
...or shoes.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:15 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it looks like he's not wearing shoes but if you look closely he is wearing boat shoes - like topsiders. Pretty amazing stuff. Stefan Roser is his full name btw - incredible drive/slider...
Old 04-02-2004, 11:52 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Has everyone seen "Rondevous"? That's a 9 minute continuous scene of a drive thru the streets of Paris at what seems to be about 5AM? The unsubstantiated rumor is that is was Jaques Lafite. Definitely worth the time it takes to watch it. One rarely sees a pedestrian mark the apex of a corner. AS
Old 04-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Todd Serota [TracQuest]
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Alexander Stemer
Has everyone seen "Rondevous"? That's a 9 minute continuous scene of a drive thru the streets of Paris at what seems to be about 5AM? The unsubstantiated rumor is that is was Jaques Lafite. Definitely worth the time it takes to watch it. One rarely sees a pedestrian mark the apex of a corner. AS
I have the film. There's been a lot of speculation over the years that the sound is dubbed. I never heard of any rumor about it being anyone other than famous French director Claude Lalouche (sp?). In fact, I believe he was arrested by the French authorities once the movie was released.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

AS: I saw "Rendezvous" a few years ago on VHS tape. It's definitely an amazing bit of film, and driving. Thanks for reminding me as I'd heard it was now out on DVD and I've been meaning to buy a copy.

Quick Reply: OT: Walter Röhrl's footwork