Sponsored by:

Brake Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 03:32 PM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Brake Sound

Hi all, my new (to me) GT3 is making a (brake related) sound, figured I’d post here before taking it to the shop.

Vid 1: This sound is most visible when turning the whee a few degrees either right or left, the car must be moving to head the sound. Speed doesn’t seem to matter (sound is visible at 60mph).

Vid 2: just noticed it today, loud droning sort of sound. Noise made under braking.

The car is on original PCCB rotors/(yellow) pads - roughly 45k miles on them. I think it’s either a rock stuck somewhere, or one of my pads are low. Looking from the outside the rotors/pads are in good shape, there is a very light sign of uneven wear on some of the rotors, will upload pics in a bit. Would appreciate any insight!
Old 12-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

For video 1, I'm wondering if that is a suspension related noise and not a brake related noise.

For video 2, I'd want to take the wheel off and check the passenger side caliper, pads, rotors. You won't be able to see the inner pad with the wheel on, so that is why I mentioned to take the wheel off.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:10 AM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
For video 1, I'm wondering if that is a suspension related noise and not a brake related noise.

For video 2, I'd want to take the wheel off and check the passenger side caliper, pads, rotors. You won't be able to see the inner pad with the wheel on, so that is why I mentioned to take the wheel off.
Interesting, I assumed it's a brake related noise as the sound goes away as soon as I touch the brakes, but will check it out.
Yep, I would've taken it off, but I have absolutely no tools, LOL. Will be getting some shortly. Appreciate the help!

I'm fairly confident it must be some gravel/stone stuck in a crevice as the car makes a slightly sandy/grinding noise when I push it (car turned off/neutral/handbrake off). I think I'm going to use this as an excuse to buy some normal rotors, would hate to have a stone ruin a CC rotor.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:42 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a very similar squeak on my GT3 a couple of months ago, it turned out to be a calliper that was not properly torqued. Once I torqued up the calliper the sound disappeared.
The following users liked this post:
engerman (12-28-2020)
Old 01-02-2021, 08:57 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by engerman
Interesting, I assumed it's a brake related noise as the sound goes away as soon as I touch the brakes, but will check it out.
Yep, I would've taken it off, but I have absolutely no tools, LOL. Will be getting some shortly. Appreciate the help!

I'm fairly confident it must be some gravel/stone stuck in a crevice as the car makes a slightly sandy/grinding noise when I push it (car turned off/neutral/handbrake off). I think I'm going to use this as an excuse to buy some normal rotors, would hate to have a stone ruin a CC rotor.
Not sure what your car's issue is, but the behavior bolded above is exactly what happens if the brake pad wear indicators are activated (on normal cars).
you'll know as soon as you get the wheel off?
No tools and you bought a 6 GT3??
I predict that will change!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:59 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by engerman

Not sure what your car's issue is, but the behavior bolded above is exactly what happens if the brake pad wear indicators are activated (on normal cars).
Old 01-02-2021, 10:20 PM
engerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
and indeed it did change, LOL! Took it to my buddies shop and swapped the rotors out ( put cayenne/997tt sebros) for peace of mind.

Regarding the sounds, everything was solved after doing the swapping the rotors/bedding procedure. Did have one code brown on the way back home though, shortly after the bedding procedure a "(lamp image) Failure" popped up on the screen for a second and immediately went away. Pulled over and shut the car off, checked it out, started it and drove home without any problems. Definitely spiced up the evening!

Quick Reply: Brake Sound