Sponsored by:

Porsche Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:21 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Driving Experience

Anyone here been to Barber Motor Park in AL for one of these events yet?
If so any good insights?
I'm headed there on April 27-28, anyone else going?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:37 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

I'm really interested in hearing feedback about this too. Macfly, do you mind mentioning how much it costs? I haven't seen an ad for it that lists the price. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I paid 3,000 for the two day Master Class. It seemed a crazy expense, especially when we can get great track days with wonderful instructors out here in SoCal for $250-400 a day, and I had no intention of going at all. I was just nosing around their website out of curiosity, but when I came across the list of instructors I was sold!

http://www.porschedriving.com/the_instructors.asp
Old 03-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I would assume you would find a fair amount of discussion about the PDE in the archives. I have been three times - Road Atlanta, Sebring and Barber. You will love the track at Barber. You will get more out of the experience if you can do some advance prep re the Barber track. On my last trip I suggested to Jeff Purner that they should make available an in-car video - one lap at Barber - and he responded that they had a plan to do so. I don't know if this ever came into being, but it would be a great tool to help prepare students in advance of the school.

Yes, the cost is steep in comparison to a club DE, but you won't find the likes of David Murray (who, in addition to being a great driver, is a very nice guy) at a local DE. And you are driving their cars, not your own.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:32 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been to PDE 4 times. First time was at Sebring for the begining class. The second and third was the begining and Masters back to back (met Colm of this board there). Fourth visit was for another Masters and as well I am slated for another Masters 5/20-21.
The Barber Track is not really a fast track (3rd& 4th 115) but it is very technical> Here is a link to a video of a hot lap driven by an instructor: http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew...otlaps-web.mov
The instructors are some of the best drivers around whom make a living driving, and who better to teach, they are not just wanna be racers, pick there brains they have been there and done that.
It is structured in such a way that you will get alot of seat time in a lead and follow system so you are pretty much on your own picking up the pace lap after lap.
Don't be dissapointed that you can not disable PSM... if it comes on you are not driving right, as good as you may think you are.
My last hot lap was with Jack Baldwin (now driving the #7 DP in the Rolex) and unlike the lead follow hotlap in the video, we were doing some door to door racing with another car, which ment different lines mixing it up, PSM never came on because all of his inputs were right and the computer knows if you can drive...yes you can drift and rotate a car without invoking PSM.
Good performace driving is all about seat time
You will have a great time, as well as learn from the best!
Looking forward to your report
Old 03-15-2004, 04:46 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One more thing, make some time to go to the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, right at the park while you are there, a most impressive display of motorcycles (and some cars) as art
http://www.barbermuseum.org/
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

MJ, great links, thanks so much!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Steve N.
Racer

MJones: Good comments - right on point. Watching the video makes me want to go back again!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 AM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts

the track is beautiful. the program is worth the money as well.

here are some pics i took while i was there last Aug.

http://homepage.mac.com/arlingwang/PhotoAlbum3.html
Old 03-16-2004, 10:24 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had jack baldwin, cass whitehead and some other great guys as instructors when i attended the one-day at road atlanta. what a great time. their instruction and drills really confirmed some things for me - both good and bad - about my driving habits. yes - crazy expensive. will you think its worth it when you're done - almost certainly. i think about their instruction at least once a week - and thats on the road. have a great time.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Great pix, thanx!

Quick Reply: Porsche Driving Experience