996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best exhaust for 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020 | 11:43 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Race-no cats. Drive her to the grocery store, on streets when raining, and the track which is the most fun.
Old 05-04-2020 | 11:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4porsh
Race-no cats. Drive her to the grocery store, on streets when raining, and the track which is the most fun.
What about emissions inspection?
Old 05-05-2020 | 11:13 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
What about emissions inspection?
pm you

Last edited by 4porsh; 05-05-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2020 | 11:09 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

I had the bypass pipes for a couple years and loved the sound. They had a drone at about 70+ MPH but I ignored it. Then one day a guy had a Tubi exhaust for sale that had been gutted (so essentially the muffler cans are just expansion chambers). Bought and installed it - really like it. Much tamer in the low revs and no drone at any speed but when put your foot in it - whoa nelly. It really comes alive. It's almost like 2 different exhaust systems. That said - driving next to the bypass pipes on a friend's GT3 - I can only hear him. The Tubi was fairly expensive new but I picked this one up for a song as it was left over from a car down the road. sorry no audio clips.
The following users liked this post:
porschedog (05-12-2020)
Old 05-14-2020 | 07:51 AM
Derek King
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911S4
Congratulations and awesome set up! Dundon steered me in the center exit direction which I’m thankful for their life time center muffler. I’ve had numerous issues with my previous set up breaking brackets and track event ending muffler failures which is no fun. Would love to compare the sound and power output of our two cars.

https://youtu.be/fHmYESbSZtU
How does the weight of this setup with the large single muffler compare to the dual resonated on the yellow car. Typically I don't like large mufflers but the simplicity of that and losing all the bends is awesome.
Old 05-15-2020 | 12:26 AM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I didn’t weigh this set up prior to install. I can say the center muffler is stout which I very much like compared to the previous set up I ran for many years, and is definitely heavier than a 997.1 factory center muffler. I’d be curious as to the weight of the original 996.2 GT3 Dundon set up with dual resonators also.
Old 05-20-2020 | 02:11 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Did you get (and the videos show) the street (with cats) or the race (no cats) system?

Holy shiite. I think I'm looking at my next mod.

I briefly had a cat-bypass system, but a crazy scary "schnell motherfrumper take car to shoppe now!!" CEL brought me back to stock setup.
Old 05-20-2020 | 03:17 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

does anyone know if the GMG WC exhaust is still available? the site is kind of odd, but it looks like they may no longer support the 996 GT3.
Old 05-23-2020 | 06:49 PM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Second on the Dundon system. Its dual exit so you don't need to mess with the bumper. Also sounds pretty awesome. Not cheap, but you will know where that money went once you get it above 4000RPM for the first time.

But its not going to pass sound anywhere. My local track measured me at like 104 or 108 dB. But thats 100+ dB of awesomeness!

The following users liked this post:
4porsh (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020 | 06:59 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Lovero
Second on the Dundon system. Its dual exit so you don't need to mess with the bumper. Also sounds pretty awesome. Not cheap, but you will know where that money went once you get it above 4000RPM for the first time.

But its not going to pass sound anywhere. My local track measured me at like 104 or 108 dB. But thats 100+ dB of awesomeness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75YJCDxJsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Eww_xdskA
Sounds great, but I bet my muffler bypass pipes will sound pretty close to that if not even more aggressive. The party starts above 4k rpm there too. Assuming that was with no cats which are a must for a street car. Anyone got the Dundon version with cats -- video, impressions?
Old 05-23-2020 | 07:14 PM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Sounds great, but I bet my muffler bypass pipes will sound pretty close to that if not even more aggressive. The party starts above 4k rpm there too. Assuming that was with no cats which are a must for a street car. Anyone got the Dundon version with cats -- video, impressions?
No it does not have kittys. Here is a picture of the system. I think muffler bypass pipes WILL be as loud as this system, but I don't think it will sound the same. You have to do an X pipe to get the nice, high pitched sound from the mezgers. Plus I think the huge, stepped headers and tuned length of the exhaust really give it the sound. Good exhaust is unfortunately never cheap. So much nuance involved, there is a ton of detail and design to really make it sound great ( imo ).

The following 2 users liked this post by Anthony Lovero:
4porsh (05-23-2020), rsabeebe (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2020 | 07:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthony Lovero
No it does not have kittys. Here is a picture of the system. I think muffler bypass pipes WILL be as loud as this system, but I don't think it will sound the same. You have to do an X pipe to get the nice, high pitched sound from the mezgers. Plus I think the huge, stepped headers and tuned length of the exhaust really give it the sound. Good exhaust is unfortunately never cheap. So much nuance involved, there is a ton of detail and design to really make it sound great ( imo ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9FpukAs9as
Understood, and I agree. Sounds great on that video too. I just need to hear the catted version as no cats is no go for me.
Old 05-23-2020 | 08:04 PM
Anthony Lovero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Understood, and I agree. Sounds great on that video too. I just need to hear the catted version as no cats is no go for me.
Word. If you cant get a catted system from Dundon, I would check out FVD (M&M) or SpeedTech. Or Kreisseig if you are feeling spicy and don't plan to track the car. They are also x pipe systems and should sound similar to my car.

Cats shouldn't change the tone of the exhaust really. Just will make it overall quieter. And you will lose the snap, crackle, pop of some of the more aggressive systems .

Good luck in your quest. Exhaust REALLY changes these cars. The stock system, shared with the base 996, is total weak sauce.
Old 05-25-2020 | 03:35 PM
C.Connor
Rennlist Member

Here's my lower cost version inspired by that sweet Dundon setup. I already had the 997 GT3 catted headers and add Soul bypass pipes into a stock 997 GT3 center muffler. The cup-style system it replaced was not going to comply with 92 dB noise restriction at Harris Hill.

This strikes a perfect balance and sheds lots of mass. Totally agree with Anthony that exhaust is a big part of the sensory experience. The weight heat loss is noticeable too.

Old 05-29-2020 | 06:25 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

anyone here have prior experience with either the FVD Brombacher Export or Tubi Style Sport (loud version) mufflers? would love to hear them firsthand locally, but that's not going to be possible with either of these brands. i ran Tubis on my 997S and i'm confident of the quality from both companies. just wondering if anyone has heard either in person and what their impressions were. i'm looking for that flat 6 'wail' and not something that necessarily just gets loud and bassy.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for 996 GT3?