Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you got/getting GT3 for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 12:54 PM
JGregg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you got/getting GT3 for track use?

I'm new here but it seems like maybe half of the people here are into their GT3's for track use and DE courses. I wonder if that holds true in general for GT3 owners? My GT3 is to replace a 2000 Boxter S that was just fine for Florida. But now that I'm in Colorado I think the 911 will be much better suited.

I've raced a little; Formula Fords and a little Barber Saab back in the 80's and I've done some private Rally instruction at Ivor Wigham's school so I have driven fast and sideways, both in two wheel and four wheel drive. I guess I've always assumed driving the **** out of your prime ride would be not as fun a doing it in a rented, someone elses, race car designed for that purpose.

I'm getting the GT3 for public road use so it's ordered with a radio and A/C. Probably mostly for weekends and special trips. Driving a Chevy Silverado SS for daily use.

Jason
Old 02-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Orca
Track Day

Jason,

I ordered my GT3 for both. I am guessing 50% track 50% weekends. My big concern is the stock Michelins. I have read in numerous magazines that they get slippery after about 3 hot laps. That's the last thing I need. I requested Michelin Cups for the tires through my dealer but, as I thought, its a no go.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:54 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

The MPS don't get that slippery, and they are progressive, just not extraordinary.
Correct alignment and hot pressures are key at the track.
Tirerack have the MPSC in stock, my set just arrived via FedEx, 235/40 18s are in stock!!

Last edited by macfly; 02-25-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I didn't have any problems with the MPS's getting slippery at Road Atlanta in January but the temps were pretty cool, so I had to work really hard to get temp into the tires. Once the pressures were right, the tires ran fine for 25 minute sessions.

That is probably the only time I will have the GT3 on the track, as I have a dedicated track car. I use my GT3 as a daily driver and only drive my Yukon when there is snow expected, too much salt on the roads, or I have to haul something. Jason, I think once you actually try the car, you'll want to drive it more than just on weekends.

Karl
Old 02-25-2004, 04:40 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

JGregg:

I'm replacing my 01 Boxster S with the GT3. I do take the Boxster to the racetracks and auto-x.

If you just want a GT3 for public road , then you are choosing the wrong car. You're better of with a 911 Turbo or a 40th Ann 911. These two cars are a very good upgrade from a Boxster S, and they are better suited to public roads.

GT3 has a poor radio, it's noisy (a lot), it's stiff, it doesn't have any traction control or PSM, no rear windshield wiper, very low height. It's not as good in public roads compared with a Turbo/40th Ann.

I choosed this car because of the high rev Porsche engine, my track/auto-x events and all the previous positive comments.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:43 PM
goplay
Instructor

I have a dedicated track car as well and bought the GT-3 as a daily driver. This is my favorite Porsche by far.

I did track the car for the first time last week. Specific comments relating to suspension setup aside, I did find that the MPS tires do have a soft sidewall as a number of people have also commented on. After an initial compression on turn-in, the grip was fine. The initial compression was a "different" sensation.

If I track the car some more, which I may do for "fun" track days, I would consider different tires... perhaps a harness... add a rollbar...

Old 02-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with the GT3 for use only on public roads... there have to be some good ones out in Colorado. You do have to be more aware of driveways and curbs though. It is also usable on a daily basis if you choose, but that depends on you.

I did not get mine as a track vehicle. I feel much more comfortable in my track built car than I do a street car. This is due to the safety systems not available in a street car like a full cage, fire system, harnesses, fuel cell, etc. That being said, I do plan on taking it out to a DE at least once so I can experience it in full force.

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2004, 04:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,834 Posts

JGregg - One thing to consider is the crappy condition of our roads here in Colo (where are you located?). The GT3 may be a bit firm for some (although others are perfectly happy with the ride quality even on poor pavement). I'd drive one on some of our poorer roads to see what your backside thinks. Personally, I'd go for the GT3 if I was going to buy a new Porsche, but not everyone is willing to forego the smoother ride
Old 02-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Sloth: Sign up for the April or May Suncoast DEs at Sebring. I'll make sure the registrar thinks you need an instructor so I can take your GT3 out and show you the proper line.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by NJ-GT
JGregg:

If you just want a GT3 for public road , then you are choosing the wrong car. You're better of with a 911 Turbo or a 40th Ann 911. These two cars are a very good upgrade from a Boxster S, and they are better suited to public roads.

GT3 has a poor radio, it's noisy (a lot), it's stiff, it doesn't have any traction control or PSM, no rear windshield wiper, very low height. It's not as good in public roads compared with a Turbo/40th Ann.

I choosed this car because of the high rev Porsche engine, my track/auto-x events and all the previous positive comments.
I strongly Disagree!!! It's a great road car...Why do I want to drive a fun car around with ladies handling aids??? I have a Cayenne for that. When I drive my GT3, I want a raw viceral, driver dependent experience. Turbo's are fun for torque junkies, but are rather sterile on the handling side as compared to a GT3, imo...
Old 02-25-2004, 05:12 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you live in Florida and don't take it to the track where else can you really appreciate the GT3. Aren't all the roads straight and flat there?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steve in FL
Sloth: Sign up for the April or May Suncoast DEs at Sebring. I'll make sure the registrar thinks you need an instructor so I can take your GT3 out and show you the proper line.
I am contemplating the May 15 event with Goldcoast PCA. Ran with them once before at Moroso, seem like a pretty laid back group. Recken you should have your GT3 by then...

Originally posted by MetalSolid
If you live in Florida and don't take it to the track where else can you really appreciate the GT3. Aren't all the roads straight and flat there?
For all the twisty roads here in S. Florida, I may as well be driving a Camero. This post got me thinking and I did a search for some twisty roads here in FL. Found a few in the area, surely nothing special compared to the twisties of Western NC. Otherwise there is always the interstate exit ramps.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:06 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

90% road (yes, that's the way I like it) and 10% track/autox
Old 02-25-2004, 06:21 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default I got it got go to every track day possible....

but it now looks like it will be getting some serious relief from the Radical I'm working on getting soon. I think buying and not tracking it is just plain silly, why buy a track car that is a harsh, rough and noisy road car if you aren't going to do with it what it was meant for?

That said LA is full of SUV's that will never see an off road adventure in their lives, so buy what you want because you want it, and enjoy it the way you want to!

Be happy, and happy motoring too!!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 PM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Jason, welcome to Colorado.....

Come out and play at the RMR/AMR events - the schedule is here:

http://vista.pca.org/rmr/

There's a couple of GT3's pending for our season.

Grant

Quick Reply: How many of you got/getting GT3 for track use?