Sponsored by:

GT3 wheel mass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 05:22 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 wheel mass?

What much do the stock GT3 wheels weigh?

How heavy are the Techart formulas?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From a thread on page 2:

For those interested in weights:
stock GT3 wheels front: 25lbs 2oz. Kinesis K58 front: 21lbs. 3oz.
rear stock: 27lbs 11oz Kinesis rear: 22lbs 5oz.
That's an overall weight savings of: 19lbs.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Just FWIW, Kinesis, whose wheels I love and own, cannot duplicate the exact factory offset!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Johninrsf
Just FWIW, Kinesis, whose wheels I love and own, cannot duplicate the exact factory offset!
While not exact, Kinesis can come pretty close -- within 2 mm of the 40 and 63 mm stock offsets.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:34 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Jack
While not exact, Kinesis can come pretty close -- within 2 mm of the 40 and 63 mm stock offsets.
Nothing I need to worry about...I hope??? Mine should be here in 2 weeks. I mean 2mm...that's real small...
Old 02-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Surprising to hear that about Kinesis. I thought all their wheels were custom made to spec.

Chris,
FWIW... I had no issues with the Kinesis wheels on my C2, no rubbing at all with wider front wheels and larger rear tires.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:08 PM
goplay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBS RS-GT

Does anyone have experience with the BBS RS-GT or LM wheels? Do they make an exact offset?

Thanks,
Charles
Old 02-24-2004, 05:27 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have personal experience with BBS wheels and GT3, but I last week I let the race shop which has done work for me in the past borrow my car for a show and they stuck on a set of BBS LM's:

BBS has historically had fitments for all kinds of Porsches and the BBS website, http://www.bbs.com, does show that the LM wheel fits the 996 GT3.

- curt
Old 02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by curtsm
BBS has historically had fitments for all kinds of Porsches and the BBS website, http://www.bbs.com, does show that the LM wheel fits the 996 GT3.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by curtsm

- curt
Many manufacturers have wheels that will fit and look good, but the offset will not be exactly the same as the stock factory wheels. Those BBS wheels, in fact, do not have the same offset as factory specs, even after allowing for any differing widths.

Even though the Kinesis (Fikse, HRE and other) wheels are custom made for a particular application, they still must deal with certain constraints, not the least of which is the shape/style of the center section. The alum. rim halves are also manufactured in 1/4" increments.

Chris -- your wheels will be so close to factory specs, that any difference will be insignificant and unnoticeable. I believe your fronts will have an offset of 41mm and the rears will be approx. 65mm.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Jack
Chris -- your wheels will be so close to factory specs, that any difference will be insignificant and unnoticeable. I believe your fronts will have an offset of 41mm and the rears will be approx. 65mm.
Thanks Jack. By the way, it was a pleasure working with Wheel Enhancement. They really know what they are talking about and are more than happy to offer pros and cons to wheel style and color combo's with your particular car and color. I originally wanted black centers...would have cost more, but the guys said with a seal car, the standard finished looked the best. I really like that kind of business attitude. "Customer first" and not the other way around. Thanks again for the referral... I am counting down the days until their arrival.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Jack,
You are very close to being correct about Kinesis' offset. I have their K18s (highly polished) on my Turbo.
I asked them about K18s for the GT3 and they said the closest they could get would be 41mm and 66mm.
Both Kinesis and HRE are close to where I live so I have visited with both of them.
I loaned the car to HRE so they could be sure that their new forged Competition Series wheels would be manufactured to fit GT3s perfectly (with factory offset and caliper clearance), and I ordered the C20s with black centers. I'll be getting the first wheels produced, soon, I hope. They will be built to the 40mm and 63 mm factory offset.
These are going to be very light 3 pc. wheels.
Anyone interested could get more info. from John at Wheel Enhancement.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:38 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand their standard hardware wouldn't clear the calipers so some minor re-engineering was required. Have you heard what the weights are for any of the C series in GT3 sizes?

Quick Reply: GT3 wheel mass?