Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gt2 Vs. F40

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004 | 07:25 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Default Gt2 Vs. F40

Just curious which would have the lower lap times all else being equal.

I have never been in a GT2/3, but am looking forward to a taxi ride hopefully soon.

I have ridden in an F40 (previously posted): My only personal journey in a Ferrari was in a F40 at about 9/10 around Summit Point. It was '94 and they were giving "ride arounds" in different race and sports cars for $5. However, there was a F40 and a race M5 there for $20 (all per lap). There was no passing allowed and the F40 was pent up the whole time.....until my turn. I was the next to last to go out and all the other cars just came in from their last lap. I got buckled in the 6 points (maybe 5) and was holding a camcorder. Well that did not last long, I had to put the camcorder down because I almost sh*t my pants. It was my first time riding around any track and he hit 165 from the pits to T1. I thought we would go off in every corner. I remember thinking, "if we wreck they will write an article about this in the car mags". That is the most brutal car I have ever been in and loved every second of it. I could hear the turbos popping. He got reprimanded when we got back for going so fast w/ me…..which I also loved. The last guy probably “only” got 5/10.

The F40 is the only Ferrari I still lust after, but it looks like a GT2 would be a great match for one.
Old 02-16-2004 | 08:55 PM
Advanced

Unless the F40 has been upgraded with MIchellotti parts ,they are not that great on the track ,in relative terms to a properly track set up Gt2(alignment.R compound tires). I have witnessed both cars ,at different times,at Willow springs and the Gt2 should have the upper hand. However,the F40 needs a real experienced driver ,all things being equal the Gt2 is much easier to control on the absolute limit. Most F40 s have been crashed at one time or another unless they were kept only as garagequeens or part of there poser portfolio and then repaired of course.The previous owner of the La times is a good example of this,regardless of his good racing background.
Old 02-17-2004 | 12:17 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

I've got Otis Chandler's former GT2 in my garage. I can't imagine an F40 beating it on a course with turns, but on an oval track maybe.These are my two favorite cars hands down. I think that the F50 is ugly, and the Enzo is too techtronic.
Old 02-17-2004 | 02:07 AM
Advanced

CodeRed,
I have driven your cobalt blue Gt2 on several occasions and I am glad it found a good home, but unless you have already done it, you should get the car properly aligned and cornerbalanced. The dealership you bought it from has a good service department but you better talk to Andial or Johnson alignment in Torrance for that because the Gt2 is incredible sensitiv to that. It will make a big difference.
Old 02-17-2004 | 03:21 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

I have a friend who owned an F40 that was one of his track cars. It was easily the fastest car that we'd see at the track in the Pacific Northwest. It was awesome to see it running and hear those turbos popping.

I agree that a stock F40 is not well developed for track use and it was a very difficult car to keep running well and it seemed to need constant tweaking to keep it happy at the track. It was often leaking some fluid or other after a hard run.

Oh yeah, it crashed at Seattle and caught fire. I got to watch in horror as it turn into a lump of blackened carbon fiber at a Porsche club day.

I'd get the GT2 any day!

- curt
Old 02-17-2004 | 03:55 AM
Hamann7
User

Originally posted by 1988952
CodeRed,
I have driven your cobalt blue Gt2 on several occasions and I am glad it found a good home, but unless you have already done it, you should get the car properly aligned and cornerbalanced. The dealership you bought it from has a good service department but you better talk to Andial or Johnson alignment in Torrance for that because the Gt2 is incredible sensitiv to that. It will make a big difference.
Johnson is not bad... Alarcon set up my ex-996 Turbo and it handled well.

I would NOT go to Andial to set up a GT2, those guys are stuck way back in the air-cooled age and they overcharge. They set up a friend's GT2 and let's just say the results were less than impressive.

IMHO, the best suspension guys in the LA area are Loren Beggs of 911 Design and Cary Eisenlohr, whose shop is called ERP. They both have extensive track and racing experience, including wins at the Tribute to Le Mans.
Old 02-17-2004 | 04:32 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

I've already made an appointment at West End Alignment. Darren used to work at Johnson, but opened his own shop nearby. He does all the work himself, whereas at Johnson you get a low paid worker that Steve supervises. Westend works on a lot of race Porsches.
Old 02-17-2004 | 05:55 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Originally posted by CodeRed
I've already made an appointment at West End Alignment. Darren used to work at Johnson, but opened his own shop nearby. He does all the work himself, whereas at Johnson you get a low paid worker that Steve supervises. Westend works on a lot of race Porsches.
Good choice. Only one I'd let align my car.
Old 02-17-2004 | 07:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

The F40 LM (Le Mans version) would be tough to beat!
Old 02-17-2004 | 08:52 PM
LA964
Rennlist Member

Can you guys put some of the address & phone #'s down. I get my stuff done at Johnsons and agree about the help. I've had to have Steve re-do some stuff and he's great about it, but if I could find some place closer that'd be cool. Also, where do you guys get your tires mounted & balanced?
Old 02-17-2004 | 09:00 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Darin Nishimura,West End Alignment, (310) 808-9233.

I don't have a particular favorite for mounting and balancing. Since I plan on getting track tires it is something to think about. Any favorites on the Westside of LA?
Old 02-17-2004 | 09:58 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Originally posted by CodeRed

I don't have a particular favorite for mounting and balancing. Since I plan on getting track tires it is something to think about. Any favorites on the Westside of LA?
Check your PM box.

Quick Reply: Gt2 Vs. F40