Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best shifter/cable setup for 6-GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts
Default Best shifter/cable setup for 6-GT3?

So I am looking at upgrading my shifter and cables. If you see my previous thread there are photos of what is in my car currently...A standard 997 shifter and a modified stock shifter cable. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-my-6-gt3.html

Issue with the current setup is 2-3 upshift on the track, I have trouble getting into 3rd sometimes, espeically when everything is hot.

What is the best setup to install? I am thinking of going with a Numeric shifter and Numeric cables. Also have seen CAE which looks nice too but not sure I'm ready to delete the center console on the car, however the taller **** position might be attractive to me.

Car is trailered and mostly track use. Occasionally drive on the street but not often.

Also I am considering doing the 4.0 ring and pinion upgrade this winter, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by Nickshu; 06-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

IDK that the cables are your issue here, but you said you've addressed the transmission mount and maybe it is bushing wear on the cables causing your issue. Have you ever tried to adjust the red piece to see if it's somewhat out of adjustment? I had the red thing on my car when I bought it and never had an issue with it.

I have the numeric cables in my car now with the stock 996 shifter and I like the setup. I'm not particularly fond of short shift kits so I like the original shifter. I didn't really have a reason for switching, at least not that I can recall now....I think I was bored and looking for ways to modify the car. I'd rather pull the engine again over install another set of cables...the job SUCKS but I got through it. Once they are physically in the car they are pretty easy to adjust. The people that tell you that the numeric cables don't make noise can't hear...i can hear mine over my 100+ DB exhaust. It's not a make or break noise for me, but it's a noise if that matters to you.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:03 PM
grecomfs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I have the Numeric shifter on 991 Carrera T and it is utterly superb in all regards. I’ve had PAG oem, B&M, Ruf and others in others P cars and this is head and shoulders better. Do have the Numeric cables and do know what they might or might not add.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

this happens on track?
if so, and yo have new cables (any brands), then it's not cable shifter issues
slow down your shift.
I had the same issue
slower shift doesn't mean slower lap time.
I tried every shifter and cable and oil combo.... meh...
Old 06-08-2019, 02:47 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

It could also be transmission mounts or syncros. I've had your symptoms in the past, and found it was syncros in one instance and transmission mounts in another.

I have 997 GT3 shifter and cup car cables and like the combo very much.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 53 Posts

Ive had standard cables and 997.2GT3 shifter, numeric cables and numeric shifter and now CAE cables and CAE shifter. Love the CAE combo.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
this happens on track?
if so, and yo have new cables (any brands), then it's not cable shifter issues
slow down your shift.
I had the same issue
slower shift doesn't mean slower lap time.
I tried every shifter and cable and oil combo.... meh...
Originally Posted by KOAN
It could also be transmission mounts or syncros. I've had your symptoms in the past, and found it was syncros in one instance and transmission mounts in another.

Trans mount is 997 type and is new, plus as FF yellow inserts. Could be synchros I guess but it shifts OK otherwise. 27K original miles on the car but a lot of track miles. Above post is probably right on shifting too quickly.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Like Mooty said slow into 2-3 up shift . Good method to slow down shift 2-3 up is wo grabbing gear **** push with your palm.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:30 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
So I am looking at upgrading my shifter and cables. If you see my previous thread there are photos of what is in my car currently...A standard 997 shifter and a modified stock shifter cable. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-my-6-gt3.html

Issue with the current setup is 2-3 upshift on the track, I have trouble getting into 3rd sometimes, espeically when everything is hot.

What is the best setup to install? I am thinking of going with a Numeric shifter and Numeric cables. Also have seen CAE which looks nice too but not sure I'm ready to delete the center console on the car, however the taller **** position might be attractive to me.

Car is trailered and mostly track use. Occasionally drive on the street but not often.

Also I am considering doing the 4.0 ring and pinion upgrade this winter, if that matters.

Delete...
Old 06-09-2019, 03:31 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu

Cup cables and Cup shifter. I hate the numeric shifter so try one before you commit to it. Since the Cup shifter is NLA, I would simply take the stock 996 shifter and add the FF bushings. You will essentially have a Cup shifter.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:03 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 on the Cup shifter and cables.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:51 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on Cup Shifter and Cables. I have 30K on mine and love both in combo. A little notchy still but very sure shifts and positive feel.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:14 PM
sumbaco
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've found the 2-3 upshift to be poor on multiple Porsches. Essentially, when shifting fast-ish from 2-3 you can get stuck on the gate between 3 and5. I find it to be unacceptable. When you're driving fast, you shouldn't have to think about the 2-3 upshift. Knowing you could blow your engine because of the vague shift is worrying. It kills one's confidence in the machine when pushing. I switched to a numeric shifter (still stock cables) and, although it has a more solid feel, the 2-3 problem still exists. I think it's the weak centering spring in the transmission. Cayman GT4 was better, and I think that's because there's a centering spring right in the shifter housing. 911T was better too. 991.2 GT3, balked on the 2-3 upshift, very disappointing. Never had this problem in other sports cars. I know everyone has their own styles and preferences, but this is my experience, and only my opinion.

You can try new cables, but I think the only option is to slow the upshift on the 2-3 movement, as others have said. And don't put any sideways pressure on the shift lever, the force will easily overcome the spring tension and you'll miss third. You have to be patient, let the shifter self center at it's slowish, weak speed, and push forward into 3rd. It's doesn't take forever, but you lose some of the snap in your shifting rhythm.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sumbaco
I've found the 2-3 upshift to be poor on multiple Porsches. Essentially, when shifting fast-ish from 2-3 you can get stuck on the gate between 3 and5. I find it to be unacceptable. When you're driving fast, you shouldn't have to think about the 2-3 upshift. Knowing you could blow your engine because of the vague shift is worrying. It kills one's confidence in the machine when pushing. I switched to a numeric shifter (still stock cables) and, although it has a more solid feel, the 2-3 problem still exists. I think it's the weak centering spring in the transmission. Cayman GT4 was better, and I think that's because there's a centering spring right in the shifter housing. 911T was better too. 991.2 GT3, balked on the 2-3 upshift, very disappointing. Never had this problem in other sports cars. I know everyone has their own styles and preferences, but this is my experience, and only my opinion.

You can try new cables, but I think the only option is to slow the upshift on the 2-3 movement, as others have said. And don't put any sideways pressure on the shift lever, the force will easily overcome the spring tension and you'll miss third. You have to be patient, let the shifter self center at it's slowish, weak speed, and push forward into 3rd. It's doesn't take forever, but you lose some of the snap in your shifting rhythm.
I think this summarizes exactly what I experience...hangs up on the 3-5 gate when trying to hit 3rd.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by KOAN
This too and love the set-up.

Quick Reply: Best shifter/cable setup for 6-GT3?