Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What sort of shifter and cable setup is this on my 6-GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts
Default What sort of shifter and cable setup is this on my 6-GT3?

The original owner of my car had the shifter and cables upgraded in around 2012 or 2013. The service records receipt that I have does not say what type/brand of cables were installed, just that a 997 shifter was installed along with "cables". I have been missing 3rd sometimes on the track so I pulled the center console today to adjust the cables and found these.

The left (side to side movement) cable is labeled GT2 (as you see in the photo) and has a standard coupling. The right shift (fore/aft) cable is not like any I have ever seen.

There appears to be no adjustment at the transmission end on either cable.

It appears it was setup on a standard 997 (non-GT3 shifter) (P/n on the shifter is 997 424 010 00), however with this cable it has a very short throw and feels like a GT3 short shifter, even though it's not.

Not sure how to adjust the right one. I installed my Porsche locking tool and adjusted the left cable per the normal procedure.

Anyone recognize what this setup is?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2019, 10:31 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

right side appears to be adjusted by loosening the locknut and turning the red piece
Old 06-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
right side appears to be adjusted by loosening the locknut and turning the red piece
I figured just pop off the red pivot, adjust it to a passive position, re-tighten the locknut and snap it back on? All with the shifter neutral hold tool in place.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:40 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 352 Posts

That looks to be the old style evo machined coupler. It is an improvement over the stock plastic piece which is prone to breaking overt ime. However the design leaves a little bit to be desired in my opinion. I found one of those on mine too. The way you adjust it is by backing out the set screws and then adjusting the cable inside the coupler to where you want it and then tighten the little screws back in again with an Allen key extremely tight. They literally must dig into the metal of the cable end.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shifting to third issue could be notorious Transmission mount.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Shifting to third issue could be notorious Transmission mount.
Thanks, but I replaced the mount w/ the 997 style and added the FF yellow insert last summer. The shift issue is actually new since then. I do appreciate the suggestion though.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
That looks to be the old style evo machined coupler. It is an improvement over the stock plastic piece which is prone to breaking overt ime. However the design leaves a little bit to be desired in my opinion. I found one of those on mine too. The way you adjust it is by backing out the set screws and then adjusting the cable inside the coupler to where you want it and then tighten the little screws back in again with an Allen key extremely tight. They literally must dig into the metal of the cable end.
Thanks that helps a lot! Maybe time for an upgrade to a Numeric shifter and cables!
Old 06-04-2019, 10:20 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Sorry for the silly question but what are you looking to achieve by adjusting the cables? Is there anyway the “slack” can be taken out of the cables? My cup cables have a little bit of play before they “take up the slack” (for want of a better description). Is there anyway to tighten this up or is this due to wear and tear? My father’s 996 GT2 does not have any play in the cables at all and it feels fantastic.

apologies for OT

Quick Reply: What sort of shifter and cable setup is this on my 6-GT3?