Sponsored by:

Range 2 Over Revs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
189 range 2 = 63 revolutions. at 8000 RPM thats .008 seconds. at 9000 .007 seconds. etc.

I don't think you could get to 10,500 RPM and only net 63 revolutions. I'm sure someone could do the math and figure it out.

I'm sure the car is fine, but a proper PPI is still in order. NEVER pass on the PPI.

-td
@8200 RPM rev limit there are 410 ignitions per second... so this car spent approx a half second in range 2. If that was a single event it's certainly enough to have *possibly* hurt something.

That said..my car has a larger count of Range 2's and it's fine...but the last count was 400 hours ago.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
@8200 RPM rev limit there are 410 ignitions per second... so this car spent approx a half second in range 2. If that was a single event it's certainly enough to have *possibly* hurt something.

That said..my car has a larger count of Range 2's and it's fine...but the last count was 400 hours ago.
I don't know maths and I lost my calculator. ha!

-td

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Rage 2 is probably always a missed shift. There is no guarantee that there will be a problem, but there could be. My motor originally had Range 2 over-revs and these were due to 2 missed shifts both done by the 'fine PO'. In both cases the motor got torn down and valves were replaced, as well as clutch plate.

Since then, I rebuilt the motor and checked EVERY part, even the pistons that allegedly had valve contact had no problems. At this point having had the motor apart I have no issues with it.

As you can see from this conversation, there is a stigma associated with these over reves, and you will need to deal with that when you sell the car. I have ~$25K in receipts for motor bits so it is not a problem for me :-)

To sum up my opinion (worth exactly what you are paying):

If there are problems it will be with valve to piston contact - easy to measure with compression test. If the compresion is good, and the leakdown is good and the used oil analysis (UOA) is good, you probably do not have a problem, UNTIL you go and sell the car.

There are several 6-GT3's for sale and you still can negotiate, mid 50's will allow for a engine rebuild and keep the value in the ballpark...

What makes this one so special?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:11 AM
B-DUB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate all of the feedback thus far. I think I'll wait and see what else comes up on the market. I was interested in this car as it had some options I like and is lower mileage <25k but I won't be able to go see and drive the car in person due to my work schedule at this time. Had the range 2 occurred long ago in the car's history, I'd probably pursue it further and have a PPI done but I don't want to take a potential needless risk on this one at this time. I've purchased two other Porsches (996 turbo and 1985 Carrera) out of state and had PPI's done so I'm well aware of the importance of having one done, that said I also know that I PPI doesn't catch everything and some times nothing beats being able to see and drive a car in person.

ps. this is the car in question: https://www.smithvolvo.com/used/Pors...540ab47503.htm

Quick Reply: Range 2 Over Revs