Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

+80lb weight loss for the track hounds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Default +80lb weight loss for the track hounds...

I recently acquired a couple of sets of Manthey Racing Carbon fibre / Kevlar lightweight street doors for my car. These doors are offered by both Manthey Racing and RUF in their high end builds. The doors are fully TUV approved for street legal use in Germany. While there is no DOT approval, TUV is good enough for me. This version of the "street" doors contains a crash brace yet still weighs in at a slim 14 lbs each. Compare that to the OEM weight of the bare steel door shell at 55 lb and you will realize just over an 80lb weight savings for the pair. With these doors I will get my car just a few lbs below the magic 3000 mark with a complete GT2 interior ready to run without driver.

I don't get impressed very easily but the quality of these doors simply blows me away. These doors are made in in an aero$pace grade autoclave and are simply flawless. They are a direct replace of the OEM doors in every way. All the bolts-ins are there for the door handles, latches, airbags, power windows, door panels, etc, etc. A quick bolt on fitment check shows that the fitment and gaps are spot on. Due to the nature of the CF/Kevlar sandwich construction, the doors are unbelievably stiff, on par if not greater than the OEM doors. While lightweight, there is a feeling of heft to these doors unlike say a OEM Cup door which is as flimsy as a noodle due to any lack of interior bracing. The exterior finish even on the bare doors is superb. There is just a faint hint of the CF weave showing thought the finish which can be left alone of hidden with the appropriate paint prep products. The is zero waviness as the door skins are mirror smooth. I have already talked to my Porsche body guy and he was highly impressed as well, in his words "this is as good as it gets". I should get these painted body color and installed in the next month or two. Enjoy the pics...

The following 4 users liked this post by powdrhound:
frederickcook87 (08-20-2022), No Nannies (09-16-2019), Steve Theodore (12-24-2020), TET GT3 (06-02-2023)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:37 PM
blotto649
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Works of art, right there! Leave it to zee Germans.

Did you order direct from Manthey? Mind my asking how much?

Hopefully one day...
Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Those are sweet! Congrats!

I’m cheap, so I’d buy a used set and take a sawzall to them race car style . I cut all kinda stuff outa my boxster doors. Lol.

-td
Old 10-26-2018, 04:08 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Wow........beautiful pieces right there.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Wow, very nice! Please how much? I bet this is one of those things that since I have to ask it will be much more than I am willing to pay..
Old 10-26-2018, 08:03 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, those are fantastic!
Old 10-27-2018, 01:33 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Wow, very nice! Please how much? I bet this is one of those things that since I have to ask it will be much more than I am willing to pay..
Just shy of $6K US delivery when all taxes duties customs stuff is added in. I bought two sets and the box the came in was gigantic, 68"x60"x18".
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Doors look great John! Are you going with lexan and cup mirrors or putting stock parts and glass back on?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:32 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scawt
Doors look great John! Are you going with lexan and cup mirrors or putting stock parts and glass back on?
All the stock stuff including glass goes back in. Yes, 996cup mirrors.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I've drooled over these for years but have never been able to justify the cost. Another forum member, ironically named John (911SLOW) had these way back in the day on his 996 GT3 which was down around or just under 2700 lbs if memory serves yet still had "full interior". He had the cargraphic lightweight carpet kit in his car which is a little ugly but still justifies having an interior.

...wish the build thread for his car was still around, it disappeared
Old 10-30-2018, 04:24 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome. Great pics of pretty pieces.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:03 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound

I don't get impressed very easily but the quality of these doors simply blows me away.

Understandably.
layup and finish work looks most-excellent.
Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff! Finally! I have been on the edge with these ones many times...And your car is on a totally different level that this mod has really been the next important thing to do!

A major question is the weight savings mentioned. Sound too good to be true. You tell stock door is 55 lbs (25 kg), while two other independent sources refer to considerable smaller figures: Techart sells these same 996 carbon doors and they tell the stock doors weight 37lbs (16.8 kg) each, and a friend of mine changed to these doors and weighted his stock doors at 33lbs (15.4kg) each.

Due to these references, changing the stock doors to carbon doors and leaving all door related interior components in place would save just roughly 20kg (44lbs) (assuming the CF doors are 14lbs/6kg a piece) based on those two references, and while impressive savings that's why I have not been sure whether to do it. But now you speak about 80lbs savings (36kg) which is a lot greater amount, it's an amount that according to my understanding and the above reference weights would require cup doors without interior components, and even Manthey themselves refer in their 996 brochure to ~40kg (88 lbs) weight savings only with their competition 996 doors requiring full cage and all interior components out..

As an extra reference, friends have changed their 997 ALU doors to similar 6kg a piece CF doors and have saved in total 10kg of weight (22lbs). So once again compared to heavier 996 STEEL doors you save approx 20kg (44lbs) but surely not 80lbs when keeping other door interior components.

So, please double check your actual weight saving. Thanks and keep up the great work with the greatest 996!
Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kaizu
Great stuff! Finally! I have been on the edge with these ones many times...And your car is on a totally different level that this mod has really been the next important thing to do!

A major question is the weight savings mentioned. Sound too good to be true. You tell stock door is 55 lbs (25 kg), while two other independent sources refer to considerable smaller figures: Techart sells these same 996 carbon doors and they tell the stock doors weight 37lbs (16.8 kg) each, and a friend of mine changed to these doors and weighted his stock doors at 33lbs (15.4kg) each.

Due to these references, changing the stock doors to carbon doors and leaving all door related interior components in place would save just roughly 20kg (44lbs) (assuming the CF doors are 14lbs/6kg a piece) based on those two references, and while impressive savings that's why I have not been sure whether to do it. But now you speak about 80lbs savings (36kg) which is a lot greater amount, it's an amount that according to my understanding and the above reference weights would require cup doors without interior components, and even Manthey themselves refer in their 996 brochure to ~40kg (88 lbs) weight savings only with their competition 996 doors requiring full cage and all interior components out..

As an extra reference, friends have changed their 997 ALU doors to similar 6kg a piece CF doors and have saved in total 10kg of weight (22lbs). So once again compared to heavier 996 STEEL doors you save approx 20kg (44lbs) but surely not 80lbs when keeping other door interior components.

So, please double check your actual weight saving. Thanks and keep up the great work with the greatest 996!
Hey Kai,
The numbers come from a friend of mine that is currently doing the conversion on his car. He weighed the naked oem doors back to back with the Mantheys. I will be doing the swap over the winter and can verify then.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info. Very impressive! Putting them on my wish list.

Quick Reply: +80lb weight loss for the track hounds...