It finally happened...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:29 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Parts for Coolant hose pinning/welding and "while I'm in there"

Originally Posted by Gadsby
I've had multiple Pm's for the parts list for while you are in there so I'll post it, see attached.

Gearbox was rebuilt by Copans a year earlier so some of the items were replaced like clutch etc.
GOOD INFO!!!!!
But $2700 just for parts? Looking at the list, I understand now
  1. apparently it not only includes the coolant hoses
  2. but any and every little part that can age or get damaged when removed or reinstalled.
  3. Water pump and associated part
  4. Exhaust related parts
  5. Other cooling system (and heater) parts
That's awesome.
in order to make your list a complete "while I'm in there...list" one would add the Rear Main Seal and clutch parts
OR Conversely just order the parts for the cooling hose pinning
Great. Thanks again!

Last edited by black04; 07-20-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: completeness and accuracy
Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM
black04
Racer

I've had multiple Pm's for the parts list for while you are in there so I'll post it, see attached.

Gearbox was rebuilt by Copans a year earlier so some of the items were replaced like clutch etc.
One more question about your excellent parts list

Cell A2 of the spreadsheet says "Position" But I believe there should be a reference to a part fiche page description, like "Cooling System Page" or some such. Do you know what I mean?
Thanks for any assistance
Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Thank you!!!

The good news is that I was happy to see the second Excel 'Sheet' was empty!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

When my coolant lines were done recently the shop also replaced the coolant reservoir, something they said could fail with age.
Then I saw one fail on a track event recently.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:08 AM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is what I did (some mods/fixes done before the coolant pipes were welded):

Expansion tank
Water pump
Check valves (I thought there was only one, but there are two)
Oil pressure sending unit
Metal turbo oil feed lines checked
Waste gate vacuum lines
5 bar fuel pressure regulator
Clutch kit
Slave cylinder (found it was leaking a bit with the engine removal. Bad news/good news)
Pressure accumulator
Spark plugs
Water hoses
Fuel filter
Air filter
Crankshaft seal
Boost pressure test
Wastegate adjust
Throttle body seal
Transponder
Coil packs
Solenoid brackets
Engine mounts (RSS)
Trans mount (997 version)
Multi-rib belt
2nd gear detent
Old 07-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
So in the category of “while we’re in there”.. what does everyone suggest be replaced?
were doing:
-water pump
-clutch kit
-belt
-flywheel bolts
-rms
-engine mounts (putting in RSS)

anything else?
I haven't read all the other responses...but at first blush.....

Well while you're in there, lets do:
1. 993 RS Clutch and flywheel package, consider the Aasco flywheel,. Rumor has it that the Aasco flywheel is designed in a way to reduce the gear rattling in neutral,
Budget about $2,500 for parts,
2. Rear main seal (You'll need to split the tranny and engine from their symbiotic union,
3. Up date crankshaft pulley , BBI sells these, best to do it no when you have access to the engine. If you do it after the engine has been reinstalled, you'll have to remove the rear
4. Detail the engine and tranny, remove all cosmoline, road grime and coolant residue.

That should do it😁
super cover
4. Beef up the LSD to Guard Clutches.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:27 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

After all these years I still find it hard to believe Porsche AG used adhesives on the coolant plumbing in a Cup engine. I think we all agree it was done to save money on manufacturing. I also assume they fixed only a few of these failures under the original warranty.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
Yeah, I have been putting this off too..

I need to find a shop that I trust to do the job. (Not the "Hey while we have the car let's swap out EVERYTHING so I can send my kid to proctologist school"" guy or the "I'll get to is real sooooon" guy )
Viper Bob, is a great FL resource.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:26 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
I honestly can't believe there are still cars running around out there without the coolant pipes fixed. By now, these cars are 15 years old and all will fail soon enough. I had one blow in front of me at that track at over 130mph which could have been bad. The 991 Gt3 behind me wasn't so lucky.
In Europe there are SO MANY owners that stuck their heads in sand and if dare to mention it they will just out you as a scarecrow that is exagerating a small rare problem and these are people that track them...
Old 07-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
After all these years I still find it hard to believe Porsche AG used adhesives on the coolant plumbing in a Cup engine.
It's true that all 996 and 997 Cup engines, just as with the street engines, had coolant pipes glued in. The R/RS/RSR race engines had threaded-in coolant pipes that weren't subject to this problem. It's interesting that when PMNA rebuilds Cup engines, they don't weld or pin; they remove the factory-original pipes, clean them up, and re-glue them using 3M Scotch Weld 1838 Green two-part epoxy. According to PMNA, they're confident in this repair and reportedly have never had one fail afterward. I'm not sure if this re-glue repair is done just once, or if it's redone for subsequent rebuilds, but it's my impression that it's a one-and-done fix. If it could be proven that this re-gluing is completely secure on all engines, it might avoid some of the attendant drawbacks of pinning or welding. Granted, race engines operate under somewhat different conditions than your average street car, but a track-oriented car is likely to be fairly similar in use. One important difference is that a Cup engine is a 50 to 100 hour engine, so it's not likely to log as many hours before a refresh. But then again the consequences of a failure are likely to be severe. Given this approach by PMNA and their reported success, it may be a path worth considering for repairs on a street or track car engine.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:13 AM
black04
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob S
It's true that all 996 and 997 Cup engines, just as with the street engines, had coolant pipes glued in. The R/RS/RSR race engines had threaded-in coolant pipes that weren't subject to this problem. It's interesting that when PMNA rebuilds Cup engines, they don't weld or pin; they remove the factory-original pipes, clean them up, and re-glue them using 3M Scotch Weld 1838 Green two-part epoxy. According to PMNA, they're confident in this repair and reportedly have never had one fail afterward. I'm not sure if this re-glue repair is done just once, or if it's redone for subsequent rebuilds, but it's my impression that it's a one-and-done fix. If it could be proven that this re-gluing is completely secure on all engines, it might avoid some of the attendant drawbacks of pinning or welding. Granted, race engines operate under somewhat different conditions than your average street car, but a track-oriented car is likely to be fairly similar in use. One important difference is that a Cup engine is a 50 to 100 hour engine, so it's not likely to log as many hours before a refresh. But then again the consequences of a failure are likely to be severe. Given this approach by PMNA and their reported success, it may be a path worth considering for repairs on a street or track car engine.
Just because Cup Cars are re-glued doesn't mean that would be suitable for street cars. We have no way of knowing if the adhesive is the problem or the parts were not engineered or manufactured properly. Thus we re-glue and pin or knurl the pipe or weld the pipe.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 529 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
In Europe there are SO MANY owners that stuck their heads in sand and if dare to mention it they will just out you as a scarecrow that is exagerating a small rare problem and these are people that track them...
in the US, many tracks/organizations won’t let you drive on track unless you show proof you’ve had the pipes secured.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-27-2018, 08:44 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I will go out on a limb here and claim that it is the application / use of the original adhesive as the root cause. I would like to think that in the last 20 years a lot of improvements have been made with current day adhesives. That said, I have pinned mine
Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 529 Likes on 284 Posts

what I don't understand is...why not re-glue it then JB Weld the seams together (or some industrial JB Weld type sealant)? Wouldn't that work? I've seen JB Weld hold up to way more than this.

Issue I had here in Charlotte: we don't have any Porsche mechanics around that have done this anymore. The only guy that has pinned them and knows what to do is Cody Forbes at Black Forest Racing - who closed shop a month ago. He's doing this for me on the side as a friend. The dealer will just put the same adhesive on that came off - Porsche still will not admit there's a real problem.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob S
I think part of the issue could be the age of the adhesive vs the hours on the motor. 50-100 hours on a cup motor is 1 season (6-10 months), where as the 996 GT3 platform is ~14 years old. That being said, if you are going to go to the trouble of re-gluing, why not just pin, just to be safe?

Quick Reply: It finally happened...