Sponsored by:

First (Mini) Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:08 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default First (Mini) Road Trip

Did a 400 mile round trip today to North Hollywood, to Dan Aspeci's Speed Gallery for an alignment check and subsequent alignment...not too radical, -1.8 from 0 toe and -1.6 rear, .24 toe in. He strongly suggest the Tarrett rear toe links, hmmmm, may have to do that.

I drove down with the Tech Art 320mm steering wheel, and gad Dan swap it out for the stock steering wheel. Having a long torso, with my head higher than many, I was missing a view of the top section of the instrument pod, obscured by the top of the TechArt wheel....now it's all well again, back to stock.

Parts of Interstate 5 north and south are pretty decent. The car was purring like a kitten. No cruise control so I have to watch the speed...I suppose I could program the speed alarm. This trip showed me that I can drive this car anywhere, from the boonies to the heart of LA's San Fernando Valley, in heavy traffic, if need be.

I was sitting in a Recaro Profi XL seat. Very comfortable at first, but after an hour of so, I wished for the stock seat...that will be the criterion for the next road trip, stock seat for the driver.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Cool story, I have stock sport seats (not the hard as rocks Recaros) and enjoy them greatly when we do road trips of 2-5 hours each way.

I love taking the beast out on the road and letting her off the leash a bit. I get at least 67 smiles per gallon.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Stock interior and we have done some long road trips upwards of 9 - 10 hours or so to Asheville a few times.

Apart from a few bad roads or heavy stop and go traffic, there are no issue whatsoever.

With no roll bar we have easily stuffed enough clothes and supplies for 10-day excursions. We took it on the AutoTrain for a trip to New England. It just made it with the clearance regulations.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Now that's a Road Trip

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Did a 400 mile round trip today to North Hollywood, to Dan Aspeci's Speed Gallery for an alignment check and subsequent alignment...not too radical, -1.8 from 0 toe and -1.6 rear, .24 toe in. He strongly suggest the Tarrett rear toe links, hmmmm, may have to do that.

I drove down with the Tech Art 320mm steering wheel, and gad Dan swap it out for the stock steering wheel. Having a long torso, with my head higher than many, I was missing a view of the top section of the instrument pod, obscured by the top of the TechArt wheel....now it's all well again, back to stock.

Parts of Interstate 5 north and south are pretty decent. The car was purring like a kitten. No cruise control so I have to watch the speed...I suppose I could program the speed alarm. This trip showed me that I can drive this car anywhere, from the boonies to the heart of LA's San Fernando Valley, in heavy traffic, if need be.

I was sitting in a Recaro Profi XL seat. Very comfortable at first, but after an hour of so, I wished for the stock seat...that will be the criterion for the next road trip, stock seat for the driver.
San Migel to North Hollyweird on I-5? After your suspension work you could have taken 101 to Santa Monica Mountains to Mulholland Hwy to CA 23 to 101 to CA 33 to CA 58. Now that's road trip. The only problem is it takes all day But you get hundreds of challenging turns on Hwy 33 alone.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

The traffic was too intense at 4:45 PM to do anything but back track across the San Fernando Valley, pick up the so called Old Road to Valencia...from there all was good.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine is a little loud, particularly at lower RPM's 2000-2500 or so. I'm wearing earplugs, seems to help quite a bit.
Also possible that my hearing isn't robust as it used to be for noise.

Quick Reply: First (Mini) Road Trip