Sponsored by:

Racing Brake caliper rebuild reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Burger
Well, I guess if I read between the lines, the stock pistons with pucks are in high demand. I guess I'll just replace seals and not get the stainless pistons. lol
I think that ultimately the RB pistons are going to be a decent option moving forward as 996 factory parts get more difficult to find and more expensive as well, but I was personally put off by the marketing hype BS they tried to pass off in the introduction of the product and that was enough for me to not look any further. The claims of 1/10th the heat transfer into the caliper that were based on the thermal properties of steel vs. aluminum and that completely ignored that thermal insulation is the whole point of the ceramic pistons in the factory setup was smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure it's a fine product in the end though just don't try to make it something it's not.

One note...even if the inner seals look OK I'd suggest replacing them, mine weren't leaking or showing any issues but they had become quite hard from age and heat cycles and it was def. time for them to be replaced when I rebuilt mine a couple seasons ago.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed. If they had any thermal data showing the piston actually reduced heat at the fluid, then sure, market away. I feel the same way about titanium brake pad shields. I get that an insulator can increase the time it takes for the heat to transfer, but if the piston still gets to max temp, it's not changing much.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Facts are; Porsche’s ceramic puck will crack and disintegrate. RB are solid metal.
Also, you need too heat the piston and use mechanical vice and glue to secure the ceramic pucks.

If rebuild, I would recommend solid and not use ceramics. I rebuilt using solid metal.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:28 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Facts are; Porsche’s ceramic puck will crack and disintegrate. RB are solid metal.
Also, you need too heat the piston and use mechanical vice and glue to secure the ceramic pucks.

If rebuild, I would recommend solid and not use ceramics. I rebuilt using solid metal.

Lot of opinions out there. In 7 seasons and 200+ hard track days I've never broken a single ceramic puck. I believe the key to longevity is to keep the pucks firmly secured to the pistons via the Motorsport puck retainers. I have these on each piston. These retainers firmly connect the pucks to the pistons and do not allow the pucks to move around once the glue breaks down. Without the retainers, the puck can fall out during pad changes or stuff can get caught between the puck and the piston once it's dislodged and this will cause the puck to not square up perfectly with the piston thus leading to cracking. I would bet that the guys that are cracking pucks are not using the PMNA retainers or don't even know they exist. Personally I wouldn't use the Taiwanese RB stuff if it was given to me for free.

Last edited by powdrhound; 03-04-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:02 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

Amazed to hear some of the thoughts on RB in this thread. I was led to believe they were a popular and sound choice for upgrading the calipers when it came time to rebuilding...
Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 AM
_Joachim_
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

You can buy the ceramic parts from FVD.net or FVD.de, I think they are on your continent as well. An advantage of the ceramic is sure that the thermal conductivity is lower. The caliper or the brake system will be more stable.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by spiller
Amazed to hear some of the thoughts on RB in this thread. I was led to believe they were a popular and sound choice for upgrading the calipers when it came time to rebuilding...
search for the thread on the pads they make that will resurface and renew carbon ceramic brake rotors.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
They're fine. It's a cylindrical piece of metal that get's pushed by hydraulic fluid. It's not rocket science. This reminds me of the cheap rotor debate. Some people hate the cheap ATE (and similar) rotors. But, to me, a huge chunk of metal is a huge chunk of metal. Sure, Porsche parts may be incrementally better, or lighter, or whatever, but...

-td
Old 03-04-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by himself
They're fine. It's a cylindrical piece of metal that get's pushed by hydraulic fluid. It's not rocket science. This reminds me of the cheap rotor debate. Some people hate the cheap ATE (and similar) rotors. But, to me, a huge chunk of metal is a huge chunk of metal. Sure, Porsche parts may be incrementally better, or lighter, or whatever, but...

-td
I think if you worked for their marketing department a lot more of us would probably pay attention and buy their products.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:20 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

I think if you worked for their marketing department a lot more of us would probably pay attention and buy their products.

ha! Product puffery gets no where with this crowd! lol.

-td
Old 03-04-2018, 11:49 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

search for the thread on the pads they make that will resurface and renew carbon ceramic brake rotors.
Enough said!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:15 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Zeckhausen provides solid metal calipers pistons too.

I did did not have the ceramic retainers but after seeing how they disintegrate I won’t go back. Could have easily popped a piston which Could have resulted in a bad day......

If you go to the 991 GT thread, there is a company that provides steel/ titanium replacement for the ceramic pucks. In the 991 pistons there is a screw in the middle to retain the pucks, so easy replacement for the 991. However, not availble for 996
Old 03-05-2018, 02:16 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Zeckhausen provides solid metal calipers pistons too.

I did did not have the ceramic retainers but after seeing how they disintegrate I won’t go back. Could have easily popped a piston which Could have resulted in a bad day......

If you go to the 991 GT thread, there is a company that provides steel/ titanium replacement for the ceramic pucks. In the 991 pistons there is a screw in the middle to retain the pucks, so easy replacement for the 991. However, not availble for 996
I would be just as easy if not easier to make ceramic puck replacements out of Ti for the 996 and 997 calipers. I could run that by my machinist. This would be a super easy project if I had the zircon pucks on hand for accurate measurements.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 351 Posts

why not apply a ceramic/thermal barrier coating...
FWIW, stainless pistons were a common upgrade for early AL caliper 911 S's...
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Questions that come to mind-

1) Is there a pedal feel difference between a ceramic puck and a stainless piston?
2) If you did use a ceramic coating on the stainless piston ends, would it hold up to the compression and vibration, or simply wear off.
3) A disintegrated puck? I need a pic of that.

Quick Reply: Racing Brake caliper rebuild reviews?