Perspective needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 01:27 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perspective needed!

My wife got creamed in the Cayenne tonight going through an intersection, she is OK and so is other guy. The cops are unable to determine who's at fault. For what it's worth, she says the Cayenne is really solid.

Now, I have to deal with the Insurance Company, the damage is along the passenger side, front wheel, driver and passenger door (looks nassty). At first glance I guess about $20-$30K. The TT is 5 months old with 3K miles, so should I have them fix it or trade it in to the dealer and have them pay for the reduction in value after normal depreciation and get a new vehicle.

This is my first ever US Insurance claim in 30 years of driving.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad She was not hurt.
Sucks about the car - but that is secondary....

Your insurance Co. will probably total the car - if it's 20-30K in damage. Which might leave you holding some of the diff. Since there are not many on the road and the price has not been established this might work in your favor.
i would look at getting rid of it either way since you will take it in the shorts when you sell it (carfax etc, will show the wreck) and i think the depeciation will be pretty steep on them
Old 12-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Colm,

Sorry to hear about the accident, though I am pleased to hear that your wife is alright. As far as the Cayenne... my preference would be to see it totaled. Otherwise I would trade it to the dealer and try for the reduced value. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Colm,

Our best to your wife, Thank God she's OK. Don't repair it, get rid of it.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:20 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Colm - Glad to hear that nobody was injured.
Best of all worlds would be that they total the vehicle.
If it can be repaired it will never be the same.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Colm:

Happy to hear that your wife is OK.

On the car front, I don't think $20-30K will get the CT totaled, but there may be other ways to get the result you want. I agree with the others, you don't want to keep this car post-repair. I've sent you a PM.

Jack
Old 12-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

My race car is at the body shop for a repaint before next season. They have a Cayenne there that has a lot more than $30K worth of damage, so I doubt the insurance co. will want to total it. The right shop can do pretty amazing things with a repair, including straightening the frame or tub if it has been tweaked. They put the car up on a bench and then use exact dimensions from Porsche to insurance all the key suspension and frame points are exactly where they are susposed to be. If they do it right, you'll never know the car was hit. The trick is finding a good shop with the right tools and people that care about what they are doing.

Karl
Old 12-22-2003, 09:42 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colm:

That sucks, glad your wife is OK. I'd try to get rid of it , but I agree with Jack, I don't think it will be totalled by the Ins co. Good luck.

Robin

Quick Reply: Perspective needed!