Sponsored by:

Baby Coming Hope Today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Baby Coming Hope Today!!!

MOG aka Mother of God, the car looks great. I'll post up some pics after I get the car home. Thanks to the many members on the Board that chimed in to guide me along the proper path, getting my car ready for her first Time Trial, Mooty, craigfen, and others.

Here is what we have:
1. Ample covering of XPEL,

2. Second set of GT3 wheels, thanks to a lead from Craig. Damn these stock GT3 wheels are heavy. I have my eye on a set of BBS 3 piece wheels.
A buddy of mine may part with a set.

3. Radiator screens (Already on the car when I bought it)

4. Clear covering over the front windshield

5. Cooling pipes welded, but not without drama. The parts were sent to a Master Welder. He did a beautiful job on all but one joint, where he left a pin hole.I am sure he was
embarrassed by this incident. Probably cost the shop any profit that was built into the conversion project. The engine was put back into the car, with the shop assuming
job was done correctly. They pressure tested the cooling system...damn, a leak. Of course the leak had to be in a joint accessible only with the engine dropped.
So out comes the engine a second tome. The shop now says they will no longer weld up the cooling pipes, they'll pin them.

6. PCCB brakes replaced with GIRO 2 piece rotors from, and 997 Turbo slotted rotors for the rear. I probably should have gone this route on the front, but have been lusting over
some 2 piece. rotors for a long, long time. Added Pagid Yellow pads, and had the brake fluid flushed and replaced.

7. RSS roll bar installed, does NOT attach to the seat belt area on the "B" pillars, attaches to the chassis in the from and rear shock towers in the rear. This installation requires six
(6) holes to be drilled into the chassis. I am OK with that. Bought it from Stable Energies in NJ, great service and support. When I had a few questions,
Joe Guinta got right back to me with the answers. It seems that there were some fitment issues, probably caused by ample powder coating material. The shop ground off
the excess and all went well after that.

8. Based on advice from the Board, I did a "butt test" on various Recaro seats at my "local" Recaro dealer, Griffin Motorwerke, in Berkeley, CA, a mere 4 hour drive.
At 250 Lbs, 6'2" my options were limited....but I wanted Recaro. Terry, the owner, was my host for a seating test. Plunked my butt into a Recaro Profi XL, oh lawdy, heaven. That was the good news, the bad news, the seats were on BO. Terry found a seat for me in New York buried in the Recaro warehouse ...he had it sent to me post haste.

9. Tires: Have two (2) sets off Hoosier R7 245 and 295 left over from my former 993. Mounted them up.

10. Rennline tow hook for the front,

11. JEGS fires extinguisher mount to the roll bar and complimented by a 2 1/2 Lb. Halon bottle,

12. Attached the factory front lip...makes me wonder how I am going to get the car into the trailer without scraping it off,

13. Have the 4 degree wedges for the tail..need to get them installed.

The only chores left are to hard wire in my transponder, have the Schroth 5/6 point belts installed and apply my car numbers, and finally, load the car into the trailer. I can do that. In closing, thanks to all for your encouragement and support. I am certain I will be posting up comments on the track experience next week.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I takes a village!

Enjoy it in good health.

Cheers

Matt
Old 02-08-2018, 11:14 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Be careful of the plastic painted caps that cover the wing adjustments. They can be fragile. Not a big deal I know, I just hate breaking anything. I made a loop of dental floss around it and used a small plastic lever and still managed to crack one of the mount tabs.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:32 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I use very fine 1 inch white tape to cover those holes. You can't see it unless you specifically look. Those caps are indeed very fragile and very expensive. The next owner of mine will get them.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:40 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

BTW, the rear tires are a bit undersized, and these cars are pretty sensitive. Your car may oversteer. I'd drive it carefully and advise not monkeying with suspension adjustments until you get correct width. I was using 315/30/18 with R6s. R7s may be a little different, and someone who uses R7 Hoosiers may chime in.
I'm excited to hear your reactions to driving on the track, having previously made the jump from a 993 myself years ago.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Bravo
Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:58 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

+1 on keep an eye on caps that cover wing adjustment points. They are uber pricey to replace.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:05 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

No pics? Cmon Martin!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
No pics? Cmon Martin!
+1. We need to see this thing already, not just the track picture
Old 02-12-2018, 11:29 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Pictures at the track

Originally Posted by LuisGT3
No pics? Cmon Martin!
Here is a nice little pic....
Old 02-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschedog
+1 on keep an eye on caps that cover wing adjustment points. They are uber pricey to replace.
I already dropped one into the engine compartment...found it...will need a little touch up paint. Who knew they could be pricy? I think it went through the deck cooling fan.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:02 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I already dropped one into the engine compartment...found it...will need a little touch up paint. Who knew they could be pricy? I think it went through the deck cooling fan.
if you are going to play with the wing adjustment, my advice is to leave the little bolt covers off the car.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Good advice

Originally Posted by spiller

if you are going to play with the wing adjustment, my advice is to leave the little bolt covers off the car.
I have already dropped one into the deck lid air intake. Luckily I was able to find it. Now needs a little touch up oaint😩

Quick Reply: Baby Coming Hope Today!!!