Sponsored by:

GT2 Differences - Great Article

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 01:25 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT2 Differences - Great Article

Here is a great article which highlights the extra features and differences of the GT2.

http://www.porsche.nu/html_swedish/p...on_911_GT2.pdf

Guy
Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks Guy,

a stereotypical barren swedish summary... a GT2 should be enuf to snap Ibsen out of his funk!!!

it is the ultimate rig!
Old 12-10-2003, 09:38 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

That article was probably for the 02-03 GT2, which was compared to the MK1 GT3 I am sure. How will it compare to the MKII GT3 and how will the 04 GT2 and GT3 match up against one another on the track?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Watt, your refering to the great thespian Buddy Ebsen right?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by ADOGNY
That article was probably for the 02-03 GT2, which was compared to the MK1 GT3 I am sure. How will it compare to the MKII GT3 and how will the 04 GT2 and GT3 match up against one another on the track?
Indeed. Those are the pages from the Porsche press release when the 462 DIN HP car was introduced two years ago. The 2004 GT2 is rated at 483 DIN HP.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:59 AM
Steve N.
Racer

I'll read almost anything about these cars with enthusiasm, but this "article" read like a Porsche press release. It's clear the author never drove the car - he just repeated what Porsche provided in one form or another.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:04 AM
Steve N.
Racer

ADOGNY: How will the GT2 compare against the new GT3? Look at the HP/torque comparison and take a guess.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:32 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Really? It is just that simple? How does that tell me how the two cars will compare on different tracks? While the numbers favor the GT2, I know for a fact that on tight tracks w/o long straight the GT3 can be as fast or faster.. Maybe I am reading the numbers wrong then Steve - you tell me...
Old 12-11-2003, 01:33 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

I just noticed you have a GT2 - now your post makes sense..
Old 12-11-2003, 04:56 AM
GuyR
Racer

I know it's a press article, rather than a review, but I thought it would be informative for those that have asked in the past about how the GT2 is different from the Turbo or GT3, since many people seem to assume that a GT2 is merely a turbo without 4wd and rear seats.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:49 AM
GTGTGT
Instructor

I know that this an expensive solution, but...I recently purchased Porsche...Excellance was expected. One of the most interesting facts in the book is how the GT2 was built with many parts and ideas from the GT3. Highly reccomend the book(s).
2002 C4S
2004 GT3 (Jan Build)
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Steve N.
Racer

ADOGYN: I wasn't trying to be a wise guy. I support your notion that on tighter tracks the HP and torque of the GT2 would make less difference than on tracks with more extensive straight sections. I do believe the differences between the cars can be pretty well summed up by focusing on the performance characteristics of their motors. But I've never driven a GT3, so I stand willing to be corrected. Watt (and others) have experience with both cars.

GuyR: Are you happy living with the clubsport cage? Does it feel intrusive in any fashion? Does it effect access and egress? Was the article accurate in saying that it could be unbolted and removed "in a few minutes"?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes GUy,

do you leave the front of the cage in on the street? there was a long thread on the racing & drivers forum about the danger of the cage in a street accident without a helmet to protect your head from hitting the side bar.

Les,

you are truly A VOICE IN THE DARKNESS, the character from Peer Gynt.

as to comparing GT2/3, we've done that, please search. I find the Gt3 easier around town and the mountains because it feels much lighter [only125# in reality] and sails thru wicked bumps that caused my 02 gt2's to pitch or "porpoise" as the Toddler tells me it's called.

an 04 gt2 will presumably have similar handling to an 04 gt3. then the power differential makes it a faster car on the street and at the Ring. on shorter, twistier, non power tracks, GT3 pulls near even. both fabulous supercars, and you have to decide for yourself if the power is worth the $$$$ upcharge for a GT2.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 12-11-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:16 PM
GuyR
Racer

Watt,

I leave the front cage in all the time (only the front is easily removable, the rear is a big job to insert/remove), as does everyone I know who has one fitted. I consider the extra marginal risk of hitting my head against the padded rollbars as lower than the added benefit of extra crush protection for the front half of the car.

If I am going to hit anything in the car in a rollover, I might equally hit the roof, which is not padded.

That said, if I am going to do a hard drive on the street (i.e. late-night deserted roads or high speeds on open roads) then I wear the 6 point harness on the street.

I have never tried removing the front cage, although it would only be a few bolts, but the issues would be the storage/transport of it and also potential damage to trim from repeated insert/removal.

Steve,

The rear cage is no problem, although it restricts luggage use for the rear. The front cage is also no problem once you have adjusted to it being there (it is quite 'in-your-face'). The vertical bars do slightly impede your feet at entry/exit, which means you have to swing them in a bit, but not a real problem and not a factor when seated. The top windscreen bar means that the sun visors are always down as the bar is wedged up against them. The only other impact is that the rotary light switch is slightly blocked by the bar, so is slightly fiddly to access, but this only happens twice in any journey normally anyway ie to switch the lights on/off.

Guy
Old 12-11-2003, 09:43 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Steve you wisenheimer you!! That's all good - I just thought your comment to be WAY to general. Like Watt said, both great cars and both have their pro's and cons in select situations. I personally did not feel the GT2 was worth the additional $80K cost, especially at my driving skill level. I would probably be slower in the GT2 than I am in my GT3!

Quick Reply: GT2 Differences - Great Article