3M Clear Bra Installer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 10:48 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3M Clear Bra Installer

Stone Guard has a clear bra pattern that fits the GT3, I'm thinking of buying. Anyone know any good installers in the Los Angeles area? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:22 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal - from what I've heard the guys that do it with a sheet and custom cut tend to do better work. You need to find a good installer but I've been told by several people that's the way to do it. They take a sheet of the stuff and stretch it tight across the front and then trim it into place - very clean. Not cheap but worth it.

Just thought I'd pass it along - you might want to do some checking on different methods. I'm sure there are places in LA but I don't know that territory.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:42 PM
yongster
Racer

Mine was custom done on the front part of the trunk lid, around the lights, and the edge of the front fender behind the wheel (subcontracted by the dealer) with good results. I was told that the 3M on the bumper and mirrors do not fit well, and tend to peel off.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:07 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you didn't do your bumper? I've heard that about the precut ones but the custom work on my bumper looks great and I've seen several cars that have had it on for a while. The mirrors are not so great - one of mine needs to be redone - that curve is pretty hard to get right. They gave me a lifetime warranty though so I'm not too worried. Also the place that did my car did several of the Gumball cars so it got a pretty good test there.

Interesting history behind this stuff. Apparently it was designed for the military to cover their rotor blades. They were getting torn up from sand and rocks that were churned up. I figure if it'll stay on a rotor blade it ought to do pretty good on my car.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:22 PM
yongster
Racer

No, I left the bumper alone. My C4S also had the same areas covered, and after 6 years the bumper is still OK. I figure the film is to protect the painted metal, and the bumper should have more flex agent in the paint anyway.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

So you think the bumpers get different paint than the metal bits of the car?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Paint on the bumpers has a flex agent added since the bumpers these days are basically flexible plastic skins hiding the impact bars.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:03 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Metalsolid,

invincashield (3m film) now has a pattern for GT3. One of their top installers, alan seligman, custom designed it on my car over the past couple months, and just installed it yesterday. It fits beautifully. He has been known to fly out to do installations if there is a group of people that want it done.

let me know and i can give you his contact info
Old 12-11-2003, 05:52 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks,

I couldn't find a GT3 pattern on the invincashield website, I've sent them an email.

Quick Reply: 3M Clear Bra Installer