Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any roll bar compatible with stock GT3 seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:18 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Any roll bar compatible with stock GT3 seat?

Here is what I want...a roll bar that does NOT restrict rearward seat travel on a GT3 with stock seats. I have been assured that Tequipment bar allows full rearward seat travel with Euro GT3 (aka GT2) seats, but with my 250 Lb body and "Thunder Thighs", my manliness feels compromised as the seats squeeze my legs together.

As you can see by the pic below, the Tequipment bar does restrict the rearward movement of the GT3 stock seats. The BBI bar allowed more, but NOT full extension.

The ideal situation, a roll bar that accommodates factory seats allowing for full seat travel for street driving. And when it is time for a DE, the factory seats can come out to be replaced with a racing seat, maybe even a Euro GT3 seat?

DASport, GMG and Agency-Power claim that can meet my needs, anybody have experience with this? Note, I am on a diet, and hoping to get to 210 or 220...maybe then I can more readily fit into a Euro GT3 seat.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you had the opportunity to sit in euro seats...they're pretty darn accommodating for a hard shell seat.

I'm short and fat (5'9 / 235) and a weight lifter (one that doesn't skip leg day) so my legs are also pretty thick and at my current weight I still wouldn't hesitate to jump in the car with euro seats and drive up to 2-3 hours on the street.

Everyone is built different they might still not be comfortable for you but I'd try to find someone local to you with a set and sit in them before dismissing them as a full time seat. When I bought my car I swore I was going to swap out the OEM seats between track days or after my track season is over...they've never gone back in the car.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

I will soon have access to some Euro GT3 seats to put my butt in...good suggestion.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:10 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

The tequipment roll bar WILL limit your rearward travel. I am very sorry I put that roll bar in my car. But it is not coming out because it would take ALL day and put a few dents in the car.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

stock GT3 seat?
martin DO NOT USE STOCK GT3 SEAT WITH ANY ROLL BAR.
it's bad news.
tell gordon to show u what a real race seat is ;-)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Real Race Seat

Originally Posted by mooty
stock GT3 seat?
martin DO NOT USE STOCK GT3 SEAT WITH ANY ROLL BAR.
it's bad news.tell gordon to show u what a real race seat is ;-)
Mooty, thanks for the tip...the Tequipment roll bar is being extracted tomorrow. It, or something else, GMG? DASsport maybe even the Tequipment roll bar...will only be re-installed AFTER I have a race seat. Does a Euro GT3 seat count?

Gordon's birthday today!
Old 10-11-2017, 01:27 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

euro GT3 seat is good but recaro is bett4re seeing how much you track
Old 10-11-2017, 02:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default RECARO

Recaro Mo Betah (Fresh from a Hawaiian Music Concert with Makana...so awesome. Thanks Mooty!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:36 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

Which Recaro model?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Blessed Relief!!!

Drove the car to get the Tequipment bar extracted today, cramped drive down....had it removed, blessed relief with the with the Tequipment bar out the car. All the room I need now.

My next bar will be a GMG or a DASsport, or maybe no bar at all. Don't really need one for DE.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
Which Recaro model?
The 10lb Recaro Carbon Kevlar Profi Spa is a wonderful seat if you have a 34" waist or skinnier. It's basically a race seat without the halo, very comfortable once you're in it. The OEM Euro GT3 seat is a great compromise and works for big guys while being superbly comfortable for a fixed bucket.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:07 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yelcab
Which Recaro model?
many are good
spg variant
pro racer hans variant
the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ p1300 variant. once u try this... there is NO GOING BACK. it's $10k however.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Drove the car to get the Tequipment bar extracted today, cramped drive down....had it removed, blessed relief with the with the Tequipment bar out the car. All the room I need now.

My next bar will be a GMG or a DASsport, or maybe no bar at all. Don't really need one for DE.
i would put a bar in there to be safe
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

The issue with most of the roll bars and tall drivers isn't so much the back bar hitting the seat as much as it is the lower portions of the seat and runnings hitting the bar much lower. If you look at where most bars mount using the factory seat belt hole there is a angled bulkhead that goes back towards the rear of the car, add in the thickness of the bar itself as it sweeps up and you're left with limited room for seat travel, for most it's not a problem but the tallest of tall drivers will have trouble with nearly any bar extending into this area.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Why would you want a bar behind stock gt3 seats(sofas) if you can't even put harnesses on other than cosmetic. If euro fixed back seats for sure if you're gonna use harnesses esp for track/de events. Also mandatory if you're using harnesses with the proper seat - mandatory to have some sort of head/neck restraint system for both driver/passenger. Don't mind giving joy rides to passengers on the track but if their helmet doesn't have a head/neck restraint system bolted to helmet- he/she ain't riding with me. Mike
Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onelove
The issue with most of the roll bars and tall drivers isn't so much the back bar hitting the seat as much as it is the lower portions of the seat and runnings hitting the bar much lower.
I only wanted a bar behind the "Sofa Seats" because my initial plan was to take out the driver's seat, and bolt in an yet to be specified, race seat, prior to a DE. I use a HANS so I need to have my Schroth 5/6 point belts in place.

Still looking for a pair of Euro GT3 seats, not exactly race seats, but they'll be more than adequate for my purposes (DE). I may have located a pair, need to inspect them 1st. I do like the fact that an anchor bar is available from Recaro to attach the crotch belts to.

Plan B: I also recently planted me **** in a Pole Position seat the other day, roomier than I anticipated, that could be an option as well, and much cheaper than Euro GT3 seats. Could I do a 500 mile drive in PP seats, or Euro GT3 seats for that matter? Only time will tell.

The other alternative is to continue to press on with my diet, and drop 35 Lbs. This is a win/win plan, works for all seats.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
GT3 Roll Bars Sheet1.pdf (109.4 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Martin S.; 10-12-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Any roll bar compatible with stock GT3 seat?