Sponsored by:

Dyno'ed GT-2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Indykid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno'ed GT-2?

Has any one here dyno'ed a gt-2 yet, if so what was the rwhp? I met a guy who has one and he told me that his dyno'ed at 460hp at the wheels in stock trim? Does that sound right? We talked about it in length as to make sure that this number was correct.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

I dont think that is correct... I am no dyno expert, but the guys who are on here will tell you than many of them are far from accurate.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dyno'ed GT-2?

Originally posted by Indykid
Has any one here dyno'ed a gt-2 yet, if so what was the rwhp? I met a guy who has one and he told me that his dyno'ed at 460hp at the wheels in stock trim? Does that sound right? We talked about it in length as to make sure that this number was correct.
I don't know if that's correct dyno-proven RWHP, but I do know that my stock GT2 performs better (acceleration) than modified 996 and 993 Turbos that supposedly put out greater than 500 crank HP. Just as is the case with the GT3, I feel certain that Porsche's claimed crank/flywheel HP for the GT2 is on the conservative side.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Like I said - Alot of these figures depend on the Dyno. Plus many of these tuners post numbers that are not "real world" figures. Porsche is one company that will downplay their figures in order to give us alot for our money. That marketing plan is better than say what happened to the Mazda RX-8 - Their claims of HP were exaggerated and they wound up either having to take the cars back or give all of their buyers a refund if they were willing to keep the car.

I see these guys post that their 996TT's are putting out 600+ HP from $15K in mods, a number I find hard to believe. As a former 993TT owner I saw all the outrageous claims of 500+ HP kits with chips and exhaust, etc. Turns out when I really looked into it I found that the stock turbos were not capable of producing more than 440HP no matter WHAT was done to the car. When I asked these tuners how that was possible, all they told me was they will DYNO the car right in front of me to prove it. The only way a DYNO can prove that when science says it is impossible is if they are either faulty, or a lesser quality one.

I believe Konstantin once mentioned that there are only 1 or 2 DYNOs that his race team uses and trusts, the rest are far from accurate. The final margin of error is the car owners who are just plain full of SH*T!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:03 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: Re: Dyno'ed GT-2?

Originally posted by Jack
I don't know if that's correct dyno-proven RWHP, but I do know that my stock GT2 performs better (acceleration) than modified 996 and 993 Turbos that supposedly put out greater than 500 crank HP. Just as is the case with the GT3, I feel certain that Porsche's claimed crank/flywheel HP for the GT2 is on the conservative side.
Porsches figures are from their engine dyno, there is no reason for them to under quote. As you point out your GT2 will out perform cars which "supposedly" have a better power to weight ratio. Sometimes
this will be to do with you having a bigger area under your torque curve compared to a modified car with a higher peak power number but a lesser curve, other times it will be down to chassis dyno error or the notorious % power loss add-ons.
Comparing a GT2 to my 522PS/754NM machine, the Gt2 feels quite a lot slower which would be down to its relatively low torque figure, but the"wideness" of its torque curve (and its weight) means it will put out some excellent acceleration figures0-200kph in 12.4secs is not too shabby
Of course bolt on an ECU and exhaust and the Gt2 becomes a 540PS/750NM weapon
Old 12-08-2003, 10:30 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

TB's 993 is a perfect example - I believe he has done quite a few mods to get his car to 522HP, while some tuners will claim a chip, exhaust, and turbo's are enough for 550+. I think many of the guys on the 996TT board are victims of this way of thinking as well. I know that it is easier to get more HP out of a 996 than 993 Turbo, but I highly doubt most of these guys are running the kind of HP they think they are.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Indykid
Advanced

Originally posted by ADOGNY
TB's 993 is a perfect example - I believe he has done quite a few mods to get his car to 522HP, while some tuners will claim a chip, exhaust, and turbo's are enough for 550+. I think many of the guys on the 996TT board are victims of this way of thinking as well. I know that it is easier to get more HP out of a 996 than 993 Turbo, but I highly doubt most of these guys are running the kind of HP they think they are.
I think that you have a valid point here. I spoke to Steve at renntech and a lot of this makes sense. After trying to mod my 996 carrera and moding my 993tt I have found the with this car you can't make 550hp without spending 30k plus for realiability reasons. Yeah sure you make 600 hp. for 1 run and toast your pistons and rods!!!! I drive with my right foot to the floor, the less issues I have the better.!!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Well you can definitely make more HP with the 996TT, but I would take my old 993TT over it anyday. The car is too soft, ugly in stock form, and handles like crap for $125K. And you are smart in doing it the right way - I know Autothority makes some pretty intense claims for one, but I have heard they are running on the edge of reliability in many cases and many of their cars are time bombs. I cannot speak from experience, but several people have told me that.

Point is big HP and reliability costs BIG money - Dont believe what you hear out there even with a "Dyno" run.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I ran my GT2 on a dyno. I do not vouch for the accuracy but other cars dyno'd that day including a monster Mustang Drag racer with a very hot motor seemed to show the right figures. My car is stock except for a Fabiani Sport exhaust with 100 cell race cats. The final figure was 517 wheel HP. There is a video clip of the test at:
http://www.arbourvw.com/fr/info/links/dymo_rmr.spy
Old 12-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

517 RWHP?

Holy Mother of understatement from the factory, Uncle Bob!!!!! how much is the fab good for 35? am i missing something????

wow, no wonder i felt so slow and posing, my car only had 460 at the rear wheels.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah, I have no idea about the accuracy but if you watched the video clip it showed 594 HP at the crank. I suspect the exhaust and free flow cats add HP, maybe 30 but 517 does sound a bit extreme. At Watkins Glen, a NASCAR Pickup truck made me feel slow and posing.

Quick Reply: Dyno'ed GT-2?