Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, GT3 daily driver diehards, tell me this...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003 | 03:29 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I am looking at the traffic pro for a couple reasons.

1) It's an almost direct swap-out for the existing CDR-23, so I can do the install myself (I think, I'm part-way there at least). It's available through Porsche dealers for cars up through 2002 models.

2) No additional components that add weight

3) I have an Alpine flip-out screen on my SUV and it often takes several tries to get the screen to pop out into the proper position. So you're right, they aren't too reliable.

Karl
Old 12-11-2003 | 12:09 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sh*T. i drove my 92 American cup car with full race suspension for 1.5 years everyday as my only car. it is at least 10mm lower than the GT-3. And yes i replaced the front undertray and rib b/c they wore out.
My wife and i Drove it cross country right after we bought in 99 (with only 750 miles on it) No A/C, no Radio, Recaro RSR seats, manual steering, Nada.
My 356 is going to work today (as usual when it's not raining buckets)
Love it or sell it.
Old 12-12-2003 | 10:17 AM
Cay
Instructor

Be happy over every guy who hate cars like the GT3 - they guarantee that
we all are able to catch a nearly non used, low mileage DAILY DRIVER for a
good price :-) same will happen to the GT3-RS = so comes time a GT-RS will
come too hehe

GT is also a great winter car with right tires and gives you the fun you miss when tracks are closed:
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2003 | 10:18 AM
Cay
Instructor

at weekends you can do things like this
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2003 | 10:21 AM
Cay
Instructor

and if you had a ba day and you feel lil aggressive you can do things like this below - can you do this with a S-Class??
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2003 | 10:37 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

great shots Cay!!!!

and i agree, it was great finding Gt3's well under window, no demand due to their poor suitability for cell phone conversations...
the only reason the prices are staying as high as they are is becasue they have a cupholder!
Old 12-12-2003 | 11:54 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Also note that the first shot shows no center radiator and the wheels are not stock for GT3. Is this a 996 aerokit with some GT3 parts and badges?

Karl
Old 12-12-2003 | 12:23 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Cay-

You are dee MAN!! That's using the 'ol GT3. You get my vote as one cool owner!!! I don't imagine you are complaining about the ride.

Old 12-12-2003 | 01:00 PM
Cay
Instructor

>Also note that the first shot shows no center radiator and the wheels are not stock for GT3. Is this a 996 aerokit with some GT3 parts and badges?

Aerokit? Never! Why modifying a C2 to a GT3 LOOK? A C2 is a fine car and
a GT3 a fine car too. I never would "convert" a pursch in something he isn`t. The story is that the previous owner get rid of this car cuz its too uncomfortable for him. So I get a untouched and fresh GT3 for a cool price.
First pic shows him shortly after overtaking with stock rims, grandpa seats and no xenons.

>Cay, that first shot shows the car with no GT3 seats, the later ones with. Did you order it that way? I can't imagine that the GT3 seats are not available in Germany???

First I changed this grandpa so called "Sportseats" to GT3 bucketseats,
than I modified the lights to xenons cuz the normal light is too slow for this car. I had different rims. This are so called Carrera 5 spokes - they are easy to clean, I saved 12 kgs weight and you got more air on your brakes cuz unmodified "old" GT3 brakes sucks on track and overheat very fast. I installed also a rollbar and 6 point belts. Gt3 is great but nearly too comfy with a real beast like a 964 RS. So I will go for a 964 RS again, its slower and not so perfect and a lot rougher - but thats what I like :-) With a GT3 you fight with the track - with a RS you have to fight with the car also :-)
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2003 | 01:05 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Karl S
Also note that the first shot shows no center radiator and the wheels are not stock for GT3. Is this a 996 aerokit with some GT3 parts and badges?

Karl
I think there's a radiator in there - just hard to tell with shadow.
Old 12-12-2003 | 01:07 PM
Cay
Instructor

reg seats - the old GT3 been delevered normally without AC and
nomex bucket seats but you could order optional AC, Fullleather
and the sportseats from the 996 TT (worsest seats Pursch ever made in my opinion)

another one after modifications:
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2004 | 09:37 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karl S
I am looking at the traffic pro for a couple reasons.

1) It's an almost direct swap-out for the existing CDR-23, so I can do the install myself (I think, I'm part-way there at least). It's available through Porsche dealers for cars up through 2002 models.

2) No additional components that add weight

3) I have an Alpine flip-out screen on my SUV and it often takes several tries to get the screen to pop out into the proper position. So you're right, they aren't too reliable.

Karl
Karl, did this installation work for you?
Old 10-31-2004 | 03:31 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I have been driving my car to work (10kms each way) since I bought it in August. Before this I had an '03 C4s. Not really that much difference driving the GT3 to work vs. the 4s cuz I can't get above 70km/h anyway. The front lip is a big pain in the a$$ though. I have a downward sloping driveway and it scrapes every time in and out, no matter if you take it on an angle or not. I've had it ripped off twice at the track and once on the street last week. Driving to work at 0630 and drove right over it. Stopped and got it in time before it was run over by a street car! I just keep it off now. It doesn't make any differerence for daily driving (under 100km/h = 60 mph) anyway, and it's fairly easy to put back on for the track.
Old 11-01-2004 | 11:17 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

fryd,

i will admit there were driveway exits i never attempted more than once in my 3 gt2's and 2 gt3's due to the lip scraping. for example at my office, i can only use one of the 2 exits from parking.

but in 24,000 total miles, i never replaced any one of those five lips. i had to push them back on on the gt2's [teeth mounted, unlike the 3] sometimes, but never broke or had one come off.

are you leaving the paved surface at the track when it comes off? i tracked mine without any issues.

Quick Reply: OK, GT3 daily driver diehards, tell me this...