Cannot find weird fault in 986 S

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 PM
hs0zfe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot find weird fault in 986 S

Hi All

the first 400 miles were okay. Then the car would not react to commands with the gas pedal. The rev counter stayed at idle and the engine could get started at all times. It just would not rev. As if starved for petrol.

Had no cell network in Belgium. Tried to drive on after half an hour parked on the motorway. Could drive on another 70 miles. Then loss of power... And again, and again.

A friend thought it was the throttle valve poti, but this 986 doesn't have one!

Fuel pump relais overheating?
After a cooling down period, the car would drive normally. Alas, when I started it parked on the tow truck with an angle, it revved exactly 3,000 and then went to 3,500 and stayed there, without me touching the gas pedal.

I shut off the engine and upon re-starting, it idled normally.

Am at the end of my wits and would like to ask for suggestions.

Will replace the complete fuel pump with relais next. And the Air Mass sensor.

Suggestions, please?!
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

have you tried to pull any codes?

also try posting in the BOXSTER forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/
Old 07-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

E-gas or cabled throttle? Stick or automatic?
Old 07-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

what year? E-Gas? without more info ,diagnosis is difficult.Try the Initialization Procedure?
Old 08-20-2017, 04:27 AM
Kf6vci
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 2000 "S" (3,2 liter) 6-gears stick shift with about 110,000 miles.

I had bought it and the issues occured on the way back from Birmingham UK to Germany.

* the diagnostics says "unknown error"
* in the mean time, it got all new brake disks and pads, some suspension parts and a loose drive train fixed. The disks were too thin to get them refurbished. (Man, I am adding stuff to my check list. the next Porsche I buy, I will be thorough
Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

What scanner you used and what codes it displayed?
You may need a Porsche specific scanner such as Durametric.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by hs0zfe
Hi All

the first 400 miles were okay. Then the car would not react to commands with the gas pedal. The rev counter stayed at idle and the engine could get started at all times. It just would not rev. As if starved for petrol.

Had no cell network in Belgium. Tried to drive on after half an hour parked on the motorway. Could drive on another 70 miles. Then loss of power... And again, and again.

A friend thought it was the throttle valve poti, but this 986 doesn't have one!

Fuel pump relais overheating?
After a cooling down period, the car would drive normally. Alas, when I started it parked on the tow truck with an angle, it revved exactly 3,000 and then went to 3,500 and stayed there, without me touching the gas pedal.

I shut off the engine and upon re-starting, it idled normally.

Am at the end of my wits and would like to ask for suggestions.

Will replace the complete fuel pump with relais next. And the Air Mass sensor.

Suggestions, please?!
Reads like an E-Gas/throttle body problem.

From memory the factory reference guideline is to do an error code clear then do an E-Gas calibration then check for any error codes. If any (and if they apply to the E-Gas/throttle body) then that's the problem.

You'll need access to something that can pull codes and report them even codes that are not standard OBD2 codes. For instance codes like P1XXX. The '1' means the code is manufacturer specific.

However, and I don't have my error code reference handy, some E-Gas/throttle body error codes may be of the P0XXX variety which are standard specific not manufacturer specific.

My experience is even an older Actron unit can pull these codes (P1XXX and also the P0XXX codes, too) but of course can't offer any "hint" as to what the P1XXX code means. Durametric can pull these code and may even be able to offer a "hint" as to what the code means.

Otherwise you'll have to take the car to a shop equipped with the Porsche diagnostic computer and someone with the knowhow to use it properly and to make sense of what it reports.

Quick Reply: Cannot find weird fault in 986 S