Sponsored by:

Differential question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Differential question

Sorry for the simple question, but the behavior of my diff in my base model stripped out 2000 Carerra (2wd 6 speed) has me baffled.

I only mention stripped out since unlike many of your cars, this one only has like 5 option codes ( C02 - cat converter; 424 - CD Compartment; 438 - 3 spoke steering wheel; 450 or 650 - sunroof or light metal wheels; and 698 - Becker CD radio) on the wrinkly and somewhat difficult to read hood sticker. None of them look like a limited slip differential code (220-224?).

So here is what I observed: while in neutral, up on a lift, when I was removing my CV joint bolts, I had to rotate the rear wheels to get access to each of the bolts in turn. What was odd was that each wheel turned independently - when I rotated the passenger wheel the driver wheel didn't move at all and vice versa - when I rotated the driver side wheel, the passenger side remained stationary.

What I was expecting was the wheels to rotate in opposite directions or the same direction, suggesting either an open diff or a LSD. I thought if they turned in the same direction it is a LSD and if they turned in the opposite direction it was an Open diff. But, clearly something isn't adding up.

Full disclosure, I've never had this car running: I purchased it with a known bad engine (appears to be a D-chunk failure). So I've never had it running to verify whether the transmission is any good. For all I know the differential could be blown apart (although, there were no metal bits or glitter in the transmission oil I removed).

Any tips or advice? Do I need to pull the flange and cover to see what's up? Or is this a normal behavior for a 996?
Old 08-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Sorry for the simple question, but the behavior of my diff in my base model stripped out 2000 Carerra (2wd 6 speed) has me baffled.

I only mention stripped out since unlike many of your cars, this one only has like 5 option codes ( C02 - cat converter; 424 - CD Compartment; 438 - 3 spoke steering wheel; 450 or 650 - sunroof or light metal wheels; and 698 - Becker CD radio) on the wrinkly and somewhat difficult to read hood sticker. None of them look like a limited slip differential code (220-224?).

So here is what I observed: while in neutral, up on a lift, when I was removing my CV joint bolts, I had to rotate the rear wheels to get access to each of the bolts in turn. What was odd was that each wheel turned independently - when I rotated the passenger wheel the driver wheel didn't move at all and vice versa - when I rotated the driver side wheel, the passenger side remained stationary.

What I was expecting was the wheels to rotate in opposite directions or the same direction, suggesting either an open diff or a LSD. I thought if they turned in the same direction it is a LSD and if they turned in the opposite direction it was an Open diff. But, clearly something isn't adding up.

Full disclosure, I've never had this car running: I purchased it with a known bad engine (appears to be a D-chunk failure). So I've never had it running to verify whether the transmission is any good. For all I know the differential could be blown apart (although, there were no metal bits or glitter in the transmission oil I removed).

Any tips or advice? Do I need to pull the flange and cover to see what's up? Or is this a normal behavior for a 996?
Been too long ago that I had a chance to spin one of the rear wheels on one of my cars with the car in the air and observe the behavior of the other wheel to be able to say with any confidence what you observed is normal or not.

I suspect it is.

Fix the engine. Road test the car.

If the diff is blown -- and I seriously doubt it is -- you'll know it soon enough.

In the meantime I'd leave the diff alone unless you get high confidence info that indicates the behavior you observed is *not* normal and a sign of a bad diff.

Really the odds the car was parked with a simultaneous D-chunked engine and a blown diff are very low.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Put the trans in gear. Your test will work as expected.

When in neutral, the diff will spin the trans output shaft instead of the other wheel if the brakes on the other wheel do not allow it to spin freely due to the car not being driven.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Perfect, thank you both. I'll take this off my project list. Have a great weekend.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it seems you have a normal open differential
Old 08-18-2017, 05:04 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Excellent, that works for me. As long as I have a working differential, I'll be a happy man. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Billings
Put the trans in gear. Your test will work as expected.

When in neutral, the diff will spin the trans output shaft instead of the other wheel if the brakes on the other wheel do not allow it to spin freely due to the car not being driven.
True. Aside from the clutch, everything else is directly connected, so it's impossible to spin one wheel without something else turning. If it's not the opposite wheel, then it has to be the shaft that connects to the transmission.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:53 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Thank you all, much appreciated.

Without the drag from the brakes, the output shafts turn in opposite directions.

Quick Reply: Differential question