Door locking mechanism rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:23 AM
lexvortex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locking mechanism rebuild

Hi,

I'm looking to rebuild the door locking mechanism in my 2001 996 c4 6mt because I am having problems with the switches. I want to disassemble the lock assembly and replace the microswitches inside and replace the outer door handle microswitches as well.

I've found some MPN's from the OEM switch Cherry from a VW website:

DK-1-G-UL-A0
DK-1-G-TR-A0

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-problems!!!-(

supposedly VW uses a similar locking mechanism to porsche, can anyone confirm if these switches are relevant to the 996? I've included part of the VW OEM switch data sheet. If this is relevant to the 996, how many of each type would I need?

I can't find the cherry switches but I did find a c&k switch from Digikey which has matching dimensions and operating characteristics MPN: ZMS-H-03-130-P00-L-L-C which i could try unless someone has a better switch they have used.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...166-ND/2044452

Also, where can I get the water/vapor barrier for the door?

Cheers,
Dave
Attached Images       
Old 07-13-2017, 08:07 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

door seal/vapor barrier here: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=807-10
# 4 in parts breakdown
Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 AM
kbollaert
Rennlist Member

Good information, planning to do something similar, since my driver's dorr is acting up.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:06 PM
brwilson
Advanced

It would be great to get a source for these switches. I planned to rebuild mine as well, even bought a used latch on ebay as a backup just in case I needed parts. Upon removal and inspection it turns out that the switches in mine were fine except that the domed cover of the switch's hard plastic button had cut a deep groove in the cover of the actuating cam. The cam cover is a pliable plastic, apparently designed to be slippery, but not hard.

At any rate, it wasn't the switch but wear within the latch mechanism that was the problem. I decided to fill the groove with JB Weld, lubricate, and run to fail--seems to work fine now. I'll keep my used one as backup but there is no practical means to disassemble and replace the work parts.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Door lock fix JB Weld

Originally Posted by brwilson
It would be great to get a source for these switches. I planned to rebuild mine as well, even bought a used latch on ebay as a backup just in case I needed parts. Upon removal and inspection it turns out that the switches in mine were fine except that the domed cover of the switch's hard plastic button had cut a deep groove in the cover of the actuating cam. The cam cover is a pliable plastic, apparently designed to be slippery, but not hard.

At any rate, it wasn't the switch but wear within the latch mechanism that was the problem. I decided to fill the groove with JB Weld, lubricate, and run to fail--seems to work fine now. I'll keep my used one as backup but there is no practical means to disassemble and replace the work parts.
Brilliant - the cheapest Door Lock Fix ever.
Just abrade the worn surface well,clean thoroughly and consider a metal filled epoxy? That should last a little longer -assuming it adheres to the worn plastic tenaciously.
Thanks for sharing your repair technique with us.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 AM
lexvortex
Intermediate

Thanks for the link Dporto.

I've looked at a few other manufacturers of switches and it looks like they have all the same dimensions so it must be standard size, which is good because this means the switches shouldn't be hard to find and it means that it is more likely that the VW switch is the same as the porsche switch.

brwilson, is there any way you can open up your spare lock mechanism and see if there is a manufacturers part number and verify that it is indeed that Cherry switch? The same one as the switches in the link above. Maybe take some pictures and upload here?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 PM
lexvortex
Intermediate

So i was thinking about buying a cheap used door lock assembly to take apart to check what is inside. I went to pelican parts and got the MPN: 3B1-837-016-P-M100 and googled it, and VW parts were part of the results.

Amazon Amazon

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Door-Lock-Act...pYRCQ3&vxp=mtr

Some look almost identical with some minor user replaceable exceptions. Has anybody tried using these parts?

The ebay item does look identical (compared to the pics on Pelicans website) and it makes sense that porsche and VW would use the same parts.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 AM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good information, thank you.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered SW719-ND from digikey.

There is a webpage where someone used parts from this digikey part to replace the broker parts in the factory switch. Can't remember the site. Might have been a Boxster door.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM
rporzio
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This video is interesting and helpful regarding maintenance of the micro switch.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:59 PM
lexvortex
Intermediate

Nice find rporzio!

Tomcat, have you fixed your switches yet? The switch you bought looks like the ones I listed above but with wire leads instead of though hole solder pins. I would like to desolder the original switches from the PCB and replace the whole switch but either solution should work.

I'm going to get a few switches and hopefully they fit, if that doesn't work at least I'll have the lock unit out so I have a better idea for the correct parts or maybe just order the VW unit based on what I see.

I be sure to post my findings once finished.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:29 AM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

I am still reaching outside the door and pushing on the latch to lower window. Window tinter broke it and I've been too lazy to fix it.

The part I referenced is not plug and play (yours may be). The site, which could be the one above, used parts from the new switch to replace the broken pieces (not the entire switch). I think its the plunger under the rubber seal (it's been a while).
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

I searched, but it looks like someone took the repair videos offline.

IIRC, you need to unbolt the control unit from the door. The problem is one of the microswitches, I think, connected to the alarm. The part number I provided, was the part the video referenced, but the switch wasn't the exact switch. But you can use the plunger, under the rubber cover, from the new switch to replace the old, if this is what is indeed broken. The rubber cover can be replaced if you want to, but it's the plunger that was broken in the video.

You can also purchase the entire control unit with all microswitches, but then you have to route/dismount/mount the wires, etc which seemed like a bigger PITA. And probably 20Xs the cost of a microswitch. I can live with the cost, I just don't want to do any extra work.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM
brwilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexvortex
Thanks for the link Dporto.

I've looked at a few other manufacturers of switches and it looks like they have all the same dimensions so it must be standard size, which is good because this means the switches shouldn't be hard to find and it means that it is more likely that the VW switch is the same as the porsche switch.

brwilson, is there any way you can open up your spare lock mechanism and see if there is a manufacturers part number and verify that it is indeed that Cherry switch? The same one as the switches in the link above. Maybe take some pictures and upload here?

Cheers,
Dave
Lexvortex, sorry, have been offline for a while. I'll dig through my spare parts and see if I can crack it open, but that VW unit you posted on from ebay sure looks like the one in my 2000 C2, and the used one I ordered from a 98 Boxster.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:07 PM
lexvortex
Intermediate

Thanks brwilson, I would appreciate all the info I can get! Was your lock assembly for the passenger side or the driver side?

Tomcat, thanks for the information. I would like to find a direct replacement, I'm pretty sure I know the part specification needed I just need to find a source.

I found another great resource thread in which someone did buy a VW bug door switch to replace his porsche unit (it looks like the ones I linked to above) and it is different from the porsche part. So it looks like that part may not fit our needs except for taking the switches out of the VW units. But maybe other VW or Audi door latch units could fit?? (see link below)

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...witches-3.html

I do know which PCB mounted switches I will be buying but I am having difficulty locating a direct replacement for the switch with the lead wire, which seems to be the common failure part (the one in the video above). I have a part number for it but none of the common vendors seem to carry it. This is for the passenger side door lock assembly. Digikey carries the PCB mount switches.

2 pieces of C&K PN: ZMSH03130P00LLC (3amp version) or ZMSH00130P00LLC (100mA version same as OEM) these have left hand PCB solder lugs and chassis mounts and are made by C&K. There are other manufacturers that make suitable switches too.

1 piece of C&K ZMSH03130P00RRC or C&K ZMSH00130P00RRC these are the same as above but right hand versions

1 piece of C&K ZMSH03130P00KRC this is a right hand side wire lead with panel mounts on the right side.

The part numbers are based on what I could see the pics in the link above and this is for the passenger door, the driver side should have two more switches in the lock module assembly (not sure which ones).

As well, I called my local electronics store which carries some Cherry brand switches to see if they could order in some of the OEM door switches and they told me they could not order them as they were not for sale in retail?? I think either they had to buy a large quantity or be a manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Door locking mechanism rebuild