996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is so Special About these Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't like attention on Porsche it self or just the GT2 wing? I also don't like attention in general. Once I get onto my 997.1 I get some stares immediately

How long did it take you to find your ideal Porsche?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:00 PM
bjsbuds
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by champignon
I'm the "proud owner" of a 2003 996 TT, and I like the car quite a bit, and I've test driven a lot of used Porsches, and I have to say, what is the buzz all about?

Buying a used Porsche is a real PITA, to use internet parlance. Porsche owners think the marque is really really special, but I am just somewhat lost here.

Full disclosure; I'm a long time BMW owner, ...

I have no interest in selling my one and only Porsche; it is a keeper, a good car, and I'm glad I bought it. Would I do it again? Not sure, probably not worth the effort.

Please enlighten me.
So, as I began to read this thread, I thought, oh, I am just like this guy, I began hunting for a 2003 Boxster S a few years back. Been a 20+ year BMW owner. Yep, I found a Boxster, but then had to spend a bunch of more money on replacing the IMS bearing. It's a fun car, but I still love my 2006 BMW 550i as a great all around car.

Again, I am like the OP, I am so sad about how BMW's current offering is just blah. I wanted to love this brand forever. What happened BMW?

As we get older, our needs change, and I am so excited to be the proud new owner of a Porsche Macan GTS. What an awesome vehicle. I am a lucky person, to be able to still own my BMW 550i and my Porsche Boxster S.

It really sounds to me like the OP had an awful experience finding the Porsche he wanted, and that has really tainted his love for Porsche.

I believe you can own both Porsche & BMW brands and be really happy.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bjsbuds
So, as I began to read this thread, I thought, oh, I am just like this guy, I began hunting for a 2003 Boxster S a few years back. Been a 20+ year BMW owner. Yep, I found a Boxster, but then had to spend a bunch of more money on replacing the IMS bearing. It's a fun car, but I still love my 2006 BMW 550i as a great all around car.

Again, I am like the OP, I am so sad about how BMW's current offering is just blah. I wanted to love this brand forever. What happened BMW?

As we get older, our needs change, and I am so excited to be the proud new owner of a Porsche Macan GTS. What an awesome vehicle. I am a lucky person, to be able to still own my BMW 550i and my Porsche Boxster S.

It really sounds to me like the OP had an awful experience finding the Porsche he wanted, and that has really tainted his love for Porsche.

I believe you can own both Porsche & BMW brands and be really happy.
I wasn't mortally wounded by the buying process, just aggravated. In a way I wish I had unlimited storage, then I would just keep buying older MT cars, I'd probably never get my fill :-)

There are still quite a lot of vintage BMW cars out there from the old days, but as time wears on their condition deteriorates, and given the steep depreciation curve, there isn't a whole lot of incentive for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th owners to keep them in pristine condition.

The recently deceased 1-Series should be where the action is, these are the last "real" BMWs, and they are relatively modern in terms of creature comfort.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I wasn't mortally wounded by the buying process, just aggravated. In a way I wish I had unlimited storage, then I would just keep buying older MT cars, I'd probably never get my fill :-)

There are still quite a lot of vintage BMW cars out there from the old days, but as time wears on their condition deteriorates, and given the steep depreciation curve, there isn't a whole lot of incentive for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th owners to keep them in pristine condition.

The recently deceased 1-Series should be where the action is, these are the last "real" BMWs, and they are relatively modern in terms of creature comfort.
The 1-series has just moved up to the 2-series, which is where it's at right now. The m235i and m2. These two cars are seriously good.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The 1-series has just moved up to the 2-series, which is where it's at right now. The m235i and m2. These two cars are seriously good.
I own 3 of the 1-Series, including a 1M, which I would not trade for a brand new M2 plus $50K.

The 2 series is in general "mushy," and has electric steering. I have read that the electric power steering in the M2 is pretty good, but having driven scads of current model BMW loaners, with electric steering, I wouldn't take any of them, for free.

On the M2, judgment is reserved, but I have no real interest in it.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:34 PM
nickdee62
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ferraris, Porsches and Lambos Perception is everything. Does any other brand fit between those two marks?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I own 3 of the 1-Series, including a 1M, which I would not trade for a brand new M2 plus $50K.

The 2 series is in general "mushy," and has electric steering. I have read that the electric power steering in the M2 is pretty good, but having driven scads of current model BMW loaners, with electric steering, I wouldn't take any of them, for free.

On the M2, judgment is reserved, but I have no real interest in it.
When Chris Harris drove the M2, he still preferred his 1M, even back to back. He didn't mention mushy while sliding around the track in this video: https://youtu.be/-xkv4PiD0To
Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdee62
Ferraris, Porsches and Lambos Perception is everything. Does any other brand fit between those two marks?
Aston Martin and Bugatti for starters. And trust me I often park in the same garage as a few lambos and ferraris, a 996 isn't really comparable.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Aston Martin and Bugatti for starters. And trust me I often park in the same garage as a few lambos and ferraris, a 996 isn't really comparable.
I would add McLaren to this list.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:48 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

On behalf of the Porsche motoring public, I sincerely apologize to the original poster for having to deal with the range of characters one might meet while buying a used Porsche. It is unforgivable that an esteemed buyer of the OP's caliber would have to navigate the mine field that is the secondary Porsche market. No warranty, light documentation, narratives that compete with reality - these things and many more amount to a near-insurmountable hurdle that no human should be subjected to when buying a 9th car for leisure purposes. I know of no clearer sign of humanity's descent into lawless tomfoolery than the pains used automobile enthusiasts must endure when sourcing a correct vintage and condition 911.

OP - I salute you. Not just for having the character to withstand the droves of temerarious 911 sellers, but also for having the intestinal fortitude and compass to bring said issues to light. You are a hero. If only more souls among us would have the courage to bring such issues to light. One can hope, right?

Best Regards,
TTB
Old 08-06-2017, 10:50 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Or, what's so special about the OP anyway?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:54 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

His honor is not to be questioned. I'm not sure if you know, but the OP has Multiple BMWs. And the delicate sensibilities of a true gentleman. If only we had finishing school under our respective belts, maybe then we would understand. I don't feel entirely comfortable saying these things because I know the OP's character is of a caliber I can only hope to emulate. One day.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:59 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

I've owned multiple Fords, Audis and 3 p cars now. The OP can go cliff diving in a desert for all I care.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:36 AM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
Just one clarification. S and RS Audis are Torsen. The crappy fwd based haldex system was never used in these cars.
Completely incorrect.

The s3, RS3 and TTS and TTRS are all Haldex. Haldex is not "crappy" it just does the job differently.
In fact it is more capable of distributing torque than the torsen - up to 100% to either front or rear, whereas torsen is 70:30 max either way.

Technically they are completely different - the Haldex is more tuneable, being electronically controlled.

I've had both (A4s - torsen, S3s - Haldex, ur quattro - torsen, Amarok - torsen) - they are both brilliant and leave the BMW XDrive laughably for dead.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:43 AM
Audidude
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This:

He stimulated an entertaining discussion. Got up some sensitive noses.

He was clearly a little tongue in cheek and enjoys winding people up (aka trollish).

This is a car forum and should be able to deal with different viewpoints and, with a couple of exceptions, didn't degenerate into name calling.

On many other forums the language and offence given and taken would have been worlds apart - says a lot for Porsche guys

I enjoyed it.

Quick Reply: What is so Special About these Cars?