Dallas/Ft Worth.....

The only advice I could give you.....

Head for AR and the Ozarks.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:33 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by chuck_gaboriau
I could really use some suggestions for the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Even other areas of Texas will do. Please Help!!!!!

2000 Arctic Silver C2
Try the AUSTIN TX and Surrounding areas! beautiful and windy roads all over the place....also take a trip out to Big Bend in central texas ...its like a minature grand canyon!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

There is an "orphaned" segment of a 4 lane hi-way. It got stopped due to some habitat for an endangered mosquito!! That left a 3 mile length of straight hi-way maintained by the federal goverment that goes from nowhere to nowhere between to entrance ramps. Did 175 mph here!!!

There is a curving hilly road between two towns near where I live. Bypass hiways have been built, but the road remains as a scenic route. Unpopulated and no crossings for 20 miles. Great place to heel-toe and listen to the exhaust resounding across the hills.

BUT, my all-time favorites: Mid-Ohio and BeaveRun racetracks!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:00 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

RE: driving in Texas, check out the motorcycle ride guides. Much more activity and information there. Around DFW there are a couple of routes that head north towards the red river and west/south towards hill country as well as east Texas. Do some searching around - there are a lot of motorcycle clubs that have stuff documented. Also checkout www.ridetexas.com - they have a best ride of 2003, 2002, etc and some other things documented. Also, Arkansas is not that far away - I did the Talimena trail in a (long) day trip from Dallas. That's all I have time for now but PM me if you want and I can try to find some more specifics that I have stashed somewhere.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by iii911ooo
I have to agree with russbert. The roads here in Western North Carolina are a hoot to drive. I've only been living here for about three months so I haven't gotten a chance to try many, but one that I especially enjoy is N.C. Highway 221 from Pineola to Blowing Rock. This road parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway but has probably 4 times as many curves with many switchbacks. Deals Gap and the roads around there are on my list for next spring.
I would have to say the same, the roads in Western Carolina are a hoot to drive.

This is off Hwy 221 between Grandfather Mtn and Blowing Rock. The road is a blast, just watch out for slow movers.

Blue Ridge Pkwy between Linville and Boone.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:07 AM
SYMA
Pro

New York State has awesome roads

Swerving around all the potholes and salt trucks is kinda like driving the PCH or Blue Ridge Parkway. Thankfully I beat my other car up when in crappy NYS. Porsche will NEVER see the North East again, currently enroute back to NC forever.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:39 AM
chuck_gaboriau
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to bob_dallas for his www.ridetexas.com suggestion!!!!

Wife and I hit 5 of the top 10 on Saturday. FM337 from Medina to Camp Wood, State Highway 16, FM1431 from Round Rock to Lake Buchanan, FM335 from Camp Wood to SH41, and FM336 from Leakey to SH41.

16 hours in total, 13 spent in the car!!!! Taking 10MPH turns in the mountains at 40MPH was AWESOME.

I've only had the car a month, so now I can say is has been christened!!

Only dissapointment was that I was the only Porsche, of any kind, that I saw all day. I hope the Texas Porsche owners didn't just buy their cars for the valet ego effect

2000 Artic Silver C2
Old 11-25-2003, 12:40 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear it Chuck - sounds like a great drive.

Quick Reply: Favorite roads! Where are they!