Sponsored by:

So here is a few pics of my 112,700 mile IMS bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Question from a newb, hope you guys don't mind. Isn't this a bearing on the way out? The failure mode for the bearing is, as I understand it:
--Sealed bearing containing permanent lubrication (grease or whatever, but not oil)
--Bearing seals fail, letting in oil (like the bearing in the OP's pic?)
--Oil eventually washes away the permanent lubrication, but the oil doesn't stay in the bearing either (or, engine oil doesn't do the lube job well enough).
--Bearing goes kablooey, owner regrets being born, etc. etc.

Is that right? Not that it matters (I've got the LNE bearing), I'm just curious.
Personally I could never understand the grease vs oil in the bearing debate. For example BRP / Rotax on their 2 cycle snowmobile engines went to a greased bearing in their crank shafts on the two outers PTO and MAG, the center bearings remained oil fed. Guess which bearings fail 10 / 10 times? The greased ones. They have since moved away from this setup and back to a fully oil fed crank the same as the other 3 sled manufactures. IMO the more oil in that bearing the better off it is.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:22 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Personally I could never understand the grease vs oil in the bearing debate. For example BRP / Rotax on their 2 cycle snowmobile engines went to a greased bearing in their crank shafts on the two outers PTO and MAG, the center bearings remained oil fed. Guess which bearings fail 10 / 10 times? The greased ones. They have since moved away from this setup and back to a fully oil fed crank the same as the other 3 sled manufactures. IMO the more oil in that bearing the better off it is.
That's fine, but in this case it appears that the "good" way to lubricate these bearings is happening by accident, rather than design. Some bearings are obviously not getting enough lubrication this way, obviously, or these cars would be worth more. It certainly makes The Solution more interesting, though.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:55 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Some bearings are obviously not getting enough lubrication this way, obviously, or these cars would be worth more.
Well, it's certainly one factor and definitely the cause for some of us to be skeptical of low mile cars, but there are unfortunately other factors (like the machining of the case, other parts shedding debris that gets in there, etc..) where no amount of oil or grease is going to save it.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The low mile cars which then probably has been sitting for longer periods of time, combined with extended oil change interval (leading to acidic oil sitting in the IMS tube) and lack of spirited driving all contribute IMHO to failing IMS bearings. My thinking then is that the same can then happen to a high mile car that has been sitting for the past years etc etc. So regular driven cars is key and how can you check that with many ownerships?

I think topic starter did the only sensible thing and that is to swap the bearing with the clutch change (which was due). What you then hope for is that it wasn't necessary. That is good. With that mileage all bearings will have lost the grease and are relying on engine oil for lubrication.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:46 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
It seems strange Porsche would use a Plane bearing on the other side of the IMS and this little ball bearing one on the other. Scott from Mcilvain showed me a dual row from the early cars and it was twice as wide. Why go from that to the single row? A lot of questions for the designers...In a very selfish way I am happy the cars have had issues, no way I could have purchased one if they didn't.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Volkert
My thinking then is that the same can then happen to a high mile car that has been sitting for the past years etc etc.
Certainly a car that racked up 80k in the first 3 years and then 10k over the next 10 is almost as suspect as the one that only ever saw 10 or 20k. The main difference there is that with the higher milage one you at least have a good idea that it probably has a properly machined case while the lower version may just not have run enough to expose the problem.

As critical as I am of CarFax and the like, this is one of the places it can actually be useful. If you see from the registration info that there were years with very few miles, then it would be worth questioning. If you instead see that the milage was well balanced over it's life, then it's a much safer gamble.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Sure am glad the current car has the "Solution" is all I have to say.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
The Solution is the only "permanent" fix for the IMSB.
I see this all the time, and it is incorrect.

EPS make a cylindrical roller bearing that in direct oil fed through the IM shaft from the oil pump.

They consider it a life time fix. Is it? Who knows, but they do advertise and claim it never needs replacing.

I had it installed in Feb. of this year.

That said, I consider myself the most handsome, smartest, richest, lady killer, romeo extrodinaire that has ever walked the planet earth. Am I? Who knows.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
It seems strange Porsche would use a Plane bearing on the other side of the IMS and this little ball bearing one on the other. Scott from Mcilvain showed me a dual row from the early cars and it was twice as wide. Why go from that to the single row? A lot of questions for the designers...In a very selfish way I am happy the cars have had issues, no way I could have purchased one if they didn't.
Agree if not for this "flaw" I would have never owned a 911. Still think its way overblown and I sure didn't worry at all about mine. I still would be more leery buying one that has been refit.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
I see this all the time, and it is incorrect.

EPS make a cylindrical roller bearing that in direct oil fed through the IM shaft from the oil pump.

They consider it a life time fix. Is it? Who knows, but they do advertise and claim it never needs replacing.

I had it installed in Feb. of this year.

That said, I consider myself the most handsome, smartest, richest, lady killer, romeo extrodinaire that has ever walked the planet earth. Am I? Who knows.
Un-filtered oil injected directly into a roller bearing (i.e. lots of moving parts to fail). Also a fairly deep groove cut in the oil drive hex key - which has been known to fail without a groove cut in it. I hope it works out well for you, but my $ is on the Solution.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 PM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by dporto
Un-filtered oil injected directly into a roller bearing (i.e. lots of moving parts to fail). Also a fairly deep groove cut in the oil drive hex key - which has been known to fail without a groove cut in it. I hope it works out well for you, but my $ is on the Solution.
Not debating which is better, cheaper, pricier, tastes better, smells better, improves erectile dysfunction better, etc., etc.

Just pushing back on the only permanent fix claim...

The only real permanent fix is to get a 996 without the IMSB, i.e a turbo...

Boom...drop mic....fist pump...walk off stage....
Old 06-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Not debating which is better, cheaper, pricier, tastes better, smells better, improves erectile dysfunction better, etc., etc.

Just pushing back on the only permanent fix claim...

The only real permanent fix is to get a 996 without the IMSB, i.e a turbo...

Boom...drop mic....fist pump...walk off stage....
Couldn't disagree more.....your fix has a roller bearing and uses un-filtered oil. The real fix has a plain bearing and uses filtered oil. Apples and oranges. Don't trip over the mic.......
Old 06-21-2017, 06:56 PM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Couldn't disagree more.....your fix has a roller bearing and uses un-filtered oil. The real fix has a plain bearing and uses filtered oil. Apples and oranges. Don't trip over the mic.......
OK, pay attention class...

You are arguing the merits and particulars of the design, durability and reliability of the two options...Great, knock yourself out...

However....Final clarification....

I am simply pointing out that there is a manufacturer, in addition to The Solution, of an IMSB retrofit that the manufacture considers to be permanent.

Class dismissed...
Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

You are arguing the merits and particulars of the design, durability and reliability of the two options...Great, knock yourself out...

I am simply pointing out that there is a manufacturer, in addition to The Solution, of an IMSB retrofit that the manufacture considers to be permanent.

Class dismissed...
To my knowledge, of the two that make such a claim, only one's developer has shared information about how that claim was derived.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Class dismissed...
Like the blind leading the blind...

Quick Reply: So here is a few pics of my 112,700 mile IMS bearing