Sponsored by:

Stick Or Tiptronic What Do You Preffer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
The title and replies so far are about PREFFERence.
FIFY.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 609 Likes on 337 Posts

The BMW is an auto, really wanted to get it in 6MT but jumped the gun and didn't look around more. Have never really had bad commutes to work since going in early and leaving earlier than 9-5ers, so manual has always been preference. Actually, BMW is the first automatic car I've ever owned.

The 996 is 6MT and wouldn't have it any other way, don't think could have purchased it if it was Tip. Maybe once I'm older, but thankfully even if I'm stuck in traffic for whatever reason, manual isn't a bother.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billup
The BMW is an auto, really wanted to get it in 6MT but jumped the gun and didn't look around more. Have never really had bad commutes to work since going in early and leaving earlier than 9-5ers, so manual has always been preference. Actually, BMW is the first automatic car I've ever owned.

The 996 is 6MT and wouldn't have it any other way, don't think could have purchased it if it was Tip. Maybe once I'm older, but thankfully even if I'm stuck in traffic for whatever reason, manual isn't a bother.
Thanks for sharing your preferences, one of the biggest reasons that I prefer the Tiptronic is because I've had 6 knee surgery, 3 each both sides, and right shoulder surgery with a rotator cuff repair.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:37 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have not driven a tip but i am going to assume it works close to what it did on my B5 Audi S4, not bad but certainly not great. I drove a GT3 with the PDK and that is amazing, even the DSG in my Audi S3 is but in a perfect world you could have both manual / PDK The PDK makes tracking the car so much easier than the manual for me. But I still love the manual.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Thanks for sharing your preferences Tek, I've never tracked my car but I would imagine that MY lap times would be better with a Tiptronic or pdk. Thanks
Old 06-16-2017, 02:01 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrodaxel1976
Thanks for sharing your preferences Tek, I've never tracked my car but I would imagine that MY lap times would be better with a Tiptronic or pdk. Thanks
if I was in your shoes with knee surgeries I would be using a tip as well, it makes far more sense. Being stuck in bad highway traffic with a manual can be annoying and hard on my knees so I can imagine yours
Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrodaxel1976
I'll start this off for me it's a Tiptronic. Not because it's what I prefer. It's because it was in my face at the time , also I'm getting lazy. Another reason is that I like my Wife to enjoy the Porsche from time to time behind the wheel.
Might as well ask Democrat or Republican, Yankees or Red Sox, religious or atheist, or any other "what's your favorite team?" question. People pick one religion and stick to it, and rarely change. Everybody on their team is right no matter what and everybody else is an idiot no matter what.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Originally Posted by dkraige
Might as well ask Democrat or Republican, Yankees or Red Sox, religious or atheist, or any other "what's your favorite team?" question. People pick one religion and stick to it, and rarely change. Everybody on their team is right no matter what and everybody else is an idiot no matter what.
Perfect, exactly my point. So I wanted to see what everyone preferred stick or Tiptronic. I prefer a Tiptronic because of Injuries

Last edited by Hotrodaxel1976; 06-16-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P-car is summer Daily and it is a manual. Comparing tiptronics I found the 996 gen.1 really slow, gen.2 somewhat better and a 997.1 a nice driver. Then I got in a manual and never looked back. So much more fun to drive. There is no comparison. The 3.4 is such a cool car to rev, you don't want to spoil that with a lazy tiptronic.
Now if I would need to battle my way through traffic jams everyday it would be a different story I guess but a shame that would be!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
In the best of all worlds I'd chose a manual, in LA I won't complain about my tiptronic. I think there are actually three 996 variations. The very early ones (98/99) you had to shift from D to M to get the buttons to work. In later versions (mine is an early 2000) you could go out of D and into manual just by hitting the buttons. It would go back to D mode in about 8 seconds if you didn't continue using the buttons. I believe these were both the Mercedes versions of the tip, and they had 5 maps. In the third version, (made by Chrysler) the maps expanded to 250. That plus the extra 25 hp made the tip much more responsive. The 3.8 S with Sport Chrono was the best (and last) of the tips in the 911. All of these are easier and less expensive to service vs the PDK...but more expensive than a simple manual. The tip shifts faster than a manual but often lacks the instantaneous crispness associated with the manual.
Which years were the 3rd Chrysler version?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:22 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

My 2004 is a 6 speed x50 turbo.
With two knee ops and one hip repair three days of light-medium traffic, and some nice rural roads, the clutch action pretty much forces me to take a break and drive my DD Scion XB until the pain subsides.
I wish I had found a tip first.
With the vague engagement point of the turbo power clutch setup, which is still quite firm, you are guaranteed to stall it a couple times or slip it excessively after a couple hours driving time.

Most of the folks that drive turbos feel the same, that is that turbo lacks the feel of a NA unit. That is except for one of our high mileage members who sees no difference between Boxster and turbo clutch engagement action.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Originally Posted by fpb111
My 2004 is a 6 speed x50 turbo.
With two knee ops and one hip repair three days of light-medium traffic, and some nice rural roads, the clutch action pretty much forces me to take a break and drive my DD Scion XB until the pain subsides.
I wish I had found a tip first.
With the vague engagement point of the turbo power clutch setup, which is still quite firm, you are guaranteed to stall it a couple times or slip it excessively after a couple hours driving time.

Most of the folks that drive turbos feel the same, that is that turbo lacks the feel of a NA unit. That is except for one of our high mileage members who sees no difference between Boxster and turbo clutch engagement action.
I feel your pain. We must be getting older now or something,
Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 6L6
My 2002 Cab is a 6-speed. For me there were two absolute necessities when I bought a Porsche:

* It had to have a stick tranny

* It had to be a convertible

I live in one of the most traffic congested areas in the country (Silicon Valley). I would never pick a stick tranny if I had to deal with stop & go every day getting to and from work.

However, I am retired and can pick and chose when I go places. As a result, the stick works great and I LOVE shifting the gears. I drive the car every day and it has been a winner in every way!
I'm up in Marin but generally work from home or take the ferry, so same here. 6-speed cab.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 PM
gibson8687
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Own 4 Porsches', 3 are stick (4/5 & 6) the 2000 is a six manual which I love but we bought an 04 turbo with tip as a compromise with my wife and I really do enjoy the car in D or S. I think the sticks are more visceral but the tip really is better.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:46 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Los Angeles and prefer driving the porsche over my lexus. I don't mind stick at all.

Quick Reply: Stick Or Tiptronic What Do You Preffer?