Sponsored by:

Fixed the front end screeching and squealing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:22 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fixed the front end screeching and squealing

For the last two weeks or so I've been ripping my hair out in embarassement at the horrible sounds my car has been making over small bumps or while turning in parking lots.

I found myself trying to avoid areas where people might here my car in its sad state. But alas, the horrible noise carried quite a distance and I found people looking at me and my car not in the typical "oh, check out that sweet looking 911 with that young Brad Pitt look a like behind the wheel!" Instead it was more of a look of "what on God's green earth is making that blood curdling noise? Is it that black piece of junk Porsche? What a junker!"

Seriously, it sounded like a coked up cat being stabbed repeatedley by a laughing hyena in the middle of a junkyard. So I did some rennlisting and other googling to figure out what could be making my car sound like it had just been diagnosed with a terminal disease.

One of the things I'd read was that it could be a strut bearing. So I took some WD40 white lithium grease and sprayed the heck out of the area. No joy. The next thing on the list was the control arm ball joint. I had to hunt down a syringe. Which oddly enough wasn't as easy as I would have thought to find. Three stores later, and in the farm animal equipment section, I found my syringe.

Getting grease into the syringe was not an easy task either, but after ten or fifteen minutes of messing with it, I had an accceptable amount loaded. I jacked up the car, removed the front passenger wheel, punctured the ball joint rubber cover with the syringe and proceeded to struggle to push the grease out of the darn thing until grease oozed out of the ball joint boot.

After about twenty minutes or so of driving around to let the grease work its way in the hideous noise had disappeared. I have to thank all you wonderful rennlisters who post your different problems and solutions, otherwise I may have just started throwing money at it and buying suspect parts (and that never seems to help).
Old 06-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

good find and well done young fellow.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:45 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Or, you could have bought one of these: https://www.zoro.com/lubrimatic-grea...w&gclsrc=aw.ds But that would have ruined the rather entertaining story...
Old 06-10-2017, 11:42 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

ATF works also and it is easier to inject.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
ATF works also and it is easier to inject.
I'll have to remember that for the inevitable next time, thanks!

Quick Reply: Fixed the front end screeching and squealing