Sponsored by:

They called me "smokey guy"

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 02:59 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default They called me "smokey guy"

Track day last Sunday. I was a bar maybe two over half on the dash oil gauge. I was trying to fill just to half on the dipstick, and read the same on the gauge (hot). I thought it would be fine..
Forward to track day. I got called out by track officials for 007 style smoke screens. This was after high G fast corners, usually between shifts. Luckily never black flagged. I assured them I am not leaking any oil, just ingesting it.
By the end of the day, my gauge was at the bottom, and even flashing. It was chugging that isht up through the last session even then. Got home and ended up putting about 1/2 quart back in. Seems that the car guzzled a lot on track day. After slight smoke on start up once (and new brake pads all around no issues since.

So, do we always smoke? Even with proper oil levels?

Car: '03 C2, ROW 030, Nitto NT01, Tarett X51 sump baffle, other stuff. Utah Motorsports Complex outer loop, formerly Miller Motorsports Park.

Maybe sump spacer, oil pickup spacer, and then run 8.25-8.5 quarts will help prevent ingestion is my thoughts. Anyone solving this problem running fast tracks with gumballs?
Old 06-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Rpompea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem before adding the oil pan wind-age tray along with motorsports AOS , this is a different than stock AOS that is meant to support track life. I run 3-6 track events a year and this combination stopped the smoke embarrassment.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:26 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

From what I've read, sounds like the Motorsport AOS is the only way to eliminate this..
thanks Rponpea
Old 06-08-2017, 04:42 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Did you do the motorsports AOS install Rpompea? Looking for some install diy's online and coming up empty. Is there a lot of fab work involved?
Old 06-08-2017, 04:50 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my car would do that before I rebuilt my engine but now it hasn't done it at the last 2 track days I've attended.

how old is the aos?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

No, we do not "always" smoke. I have a 2002 996 C4S, heavily tracked, with 63K miles. NEVER smokes on track. NEVER has consumed 1/2 quart in one DE weekend. With the oil filled to the top, one 30 minute run on track, then yes, it will smoke upon start up afterwards from the AOS. But never while running on track. You are either leaking oil, or consuming oil, both of which are abnormal. Not sure a simple AOS problem is the issue. IMO
Old 06-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

There was a recent thread that talked about smoking from the exhaust at a track event. The knowledgeable Rennlisters that chimed in stated the oil level was too high since the car was filled to the max level indication. They stated the cars being tracked should run half way between min an max.

Quick Reply: They called me "smokey guy"