Sponsored by:

Review of SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:48 AM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Or just get them professionally done. The guy I used clear coated them after sanding and polishing
Wow that looks really good! Going to give CT a call soon.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

When I bought my '02 5 years ago, my lights were pretty cloudy. I've polished headlights in previous cars, so I knew the routine, and was not intimidated. They came out great, but as others have noted, you'll end up doing them again periodically, although if you stay on top of it you only need to touch them up.

But I got tired of this, so a couple of weeks ago I did them again, and then applied Expel to them. Bought the stuff for $50 from a local installer, laser cut to fit. In fact, there is so much excess left after I removed the part for my car that I can do the lights on wife's SUV.

I'm only a couple weeks in, but loving how good my lights look, and hopefully will continue to do so.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:34 PM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the 3M kit on mine and worked pretty darn well (didn't take pictures). As one other viewer said, you have to be very careful when using the drill for this effort. The plastic will heat up quick and almost make this melted "smear" on your lenses. I put my drill on the slowest speed and worked great.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:28 PM
gungriffin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The restoration on your car looks great! Well done.

I will toss out that once the factory applied UV coating comes off, there isn't really an aftermarket replacement. So you will always have an issue with yellowing. I am a bit fan of a product called Plastx by Meguiars. While you need to use it every 6 months or so, it takes about 2 minutes per side to apply. Ha ha and it only takes 2 minutes if you are being ultra careful when applying it... It will not damage the paint, and then just follow up with some wax you would use on your paint.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on taking them out of the car. I also applied Lamin-X clears on mine a few days ago. Be patient with the cleaning/polishing of the lights, you make your money with the wet sanding before you polish. Be patient with the Lamin-X also. It will seem like you will never get them sorted out but a heat gun, a glass of single malt, and about 30 minutes will produce amazing results.

D.

Quick Reply: Review of SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration Kit