DD - 993 or 996??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Majdomo
Hence the avatar, no?
Hah! No, that was a planned expense and also didn't account for 50% of the bill for that shop visit.

I just thought it was funny and a bit irritated to find a dual row (as I would have just left it be) when I expected a single.

Besides, her's is a one owner car. Hard to make it look worse than that initial check I wrote

I also have rough idea of what we've spent over the years (within $500) at any given time. While I could buy a decent 996.1 at today's prices for those costs, I don't regret a penny, mile, or day.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Majdomo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
While I could buy a decent 996.1 at today's prices for those costs, I don't regret a penny, mile, or day.
The whole point.

Ever consider the targa side of things? Good looking one near me is going for $24K. Supposedly everything's done (IMS and clutch) with about 64k miles on the clock.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Also, 996s and most 911s for that matter aren't really any better when it comes to shedding heat in stop and go traffic. Most any 911 isn't very well suited for that purpose. Fans will be on high and heat must be monitored.
Trust me on this. Add the center rad kit, 160F T-stat, good WP, and clean the rads and condensers.

No problemo

Signed: Man who drives a 996 in DFW traffic in August.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Ever consider the targa side of things? Good looking one near me is going for $24K. Supposedly everything's done (IMS and clutch) with about 64k miles on the clock.
We have a 996. It's not a .1 C4 to convert for track. I hate sun roofs (yes her's has the sunroof delete). It has ugly headlights. I enjoy driving my Cayenne much more than her 996 (it's fun, but I just like SUVs apparently).
Old 05-11-2017, 07:41 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have both so can give you a ton of information as I drive them back to back all of the time.

First, these are both wonderful cars to drive. They both have quirks, pros, cons, etc... They are at the same time familiar, yet totally different. It's crazy when you drive them back to back every day. I would not DD a 993, but love the car

Here are some of my observations:
  • The 996 is a much easier car to drive around town
  • The 993 hates to go slow - the first to second gear "gap" is laughable. Parking lots, traffic, stop lights **** the 993 off.
  • The 993 feels like a classic, special car - the 996 feels like a modern everyday car by comparison - it's just boring compared to the 993
  • You will get lots of looks, thumbs up, random people yelling cool car, etc... in the 993. The 996 - not so much.
  • Insuring the 993 is a pain - remember normal insurance doesn't work when the car isn't depreciating
  • To drive the 993 smoothly takes relative amounts of patience and skill, the 996 is simple to drive like a modern car
  • Steering feel is very similar
  • AC works properly in a 993 (or should work properly) even in very warm weather
  • The 996 is far easier to work on - some may disagree but routine maintenance takes more time and effort in the 993
  • The 996 is a major leap forward in performance (power, chassis stiffness, etc...) It is immediately noticeable when you drive them back to back - they aren't even in the same league.
  • The 996 requires bolt on parts to get "creative" with alignment - the 993 gives you more adjustment from the factory
  • The 993 alignment is more temperamental (see above) - you need someone who knows how to properly align the KT on a 993 if not you'll be chasing issues

I could go on and on...
Old 05-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Majdomo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gnat
I hate sun roofs
...this would be a "no" on the targa!

Sounds like a pretty solid stable though. May go make a trip to check it out this weekend. Feel like a dope for not moving on the C4S but buttons come and buttons go but do we cry? Goodness no! We keep on singing...
Old 05-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Majdomo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spruden
I have both so can give you a ton of information as I drive them back to back all of the time.

First, these are both wonderful cars to drive. They both have quirks, pros, cons, etc... They are at the same time familiar, yet totally different. It's crazy when you drive them back to back every day. I would not DD a 993, but love the car

Here are some of my observations:
  • The 996 is a much easier car to drive around town
  • The 993 hates to go slow - the first to second gear "gap" is laughable. Parking lots, traffic, stop lights **** the 993 off.
  • The 993 feels like a classic, special car - the 996 feels like a modern everyday car by comparison - it's just boring compared to the 993
  • You will get lots of looks, thumbs up, random people yelling cool car, etc... in the 993. The 996 - not so much.
  • Insuring the 993 is a pain - remember normal insurance doesn't work when the car isn't depreciating
  • To drive the 993 smoothly takes relative amounts of patience and skill, the 996 is simple to drive like a modern car
  • Steering feel is very similar
  • AC works properly in a 993 (or should work properly) even in very warm weather
  • The 996 is far easier to work on - some may disagree but routine maintenance takes more time and effort in the 993
  • The 996 is a major leap forward in performance (power, chassis stiffness, etc...) It is immediately noticeable when you drive them back to back - they aren't even in the same league.
  • The 996 requires bolt on parts to get "creative" with alignment - the 993 gives you more adjustment from the factory
  • The 993 alignment is more temperamental (see above) - you need someone who knows how to properly align the KT on a 993 if not you'll be chasing issues

I could go on and on...
DUDE.

This is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing! Everyone I've talked to (IRL) so far basically said the same thing but in much more general terms, this is far more specific and useful.

If I were local I'd be knocking on your door with a 6 pack and a pizza for your thoughts. So C2 over C4 or C4S, any reason other than taking them on the track? I don't think I'd track my car and I don't generally drive 10/10, so not sure if flex or weight is too much of a concern. Love the big greenhouse on a targa but hate sunburns and creaky / leaky roofs.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Trust me on this. Add the center rad kit, 160F T-stat, good WP, and clean the rads and condensers.

No problemo

Signed: Man who drives a 996 in DFW traffic in August.
Yeah, with mods, I'm sure its way better.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DUDE.
So C2 over C4 or C4S, any reason other than taking them on the track? I don't think I'd track my car and I don't generally drive 10/10, so not sure if flex or weight is too much of a concern. Love the big greenhouse on a targa but hate sunburns and creaky / leaky roofs.
Drive some and see what you like best. I prefer a C2 narrow body car - but only made that determination after driving some of each variety. There's no reason not to track a C4 or C4S - AWD has pros and cons.

Lastly, the Targa doesn't creak or leak if it's maintained properly, even as they hit 20 years old (I've spent time in a 97 993 targa). The issue is that most people don't do their homework when something goes wrong and mis align the roof or even worse fill the drains with RTV or something. Both the 993 and 996 targas are special and relatively rare cars. If properly maintained they are functional works of art. If complexity scares you - stick with a coupe - but they should not creak or leak. There's so much false information on the targa floating around.

One thing that is true, if the targa top has a major issue you're in for a world of pain as there are only a few in the US that I'd trust to repair one.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:32 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

C4 vs C2, you can easily remove the front drive parts from the C4 to have yourself a C2. You can't upgrade the C2's chassis and have the same stiffer chassis as the GT3 which the C4 comes with.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

So C2 over C4 or C4S, any reason other than taking them on the track? I don't think I'd track my car and I don't generally drive 10/10, so not sure if flex or weight is too much of a concern.
The C2 steering is definitely lighter and more responsive, to the point of being twitchy almost. C4 is much more stable and secure feeling (particularly in inclement weather conditions), and it tracks better than the C2. I'd consider it to be the better daily driver, in general. All C4s had PSM, which may also be something to consider.

Having both and driven them back to back, I think C4 is the objectively superior car, but the C2 is a more engaging drive and the steering feel is just untouchable. Hard to go wrong with either, just a question of what your priorities are.

Only real reason to go for a C4S is the widebody look (or if you simply *must* have an AWD 996.2 coupe). It doesn't substantially move the performance needle from the narrow body cars, I'd say, but it is the best looking variant of 996.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Majdomo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VivG
The C2 steering is definitely lighter and more responsive, to the point of being twitchy almost. C4 is much more stable and secure feeling (particularly in inclement weather conditions), and it tracks better than the C2. I'd consider it to be the better daily driver, in general. All C4s had PSM, which may also be something to consider.

Having both and driven them back to back, I think C4 is the objectively superior car, but the C2 is a more engaging drive and the steering feel is just untouchable. Hard to go wrong with either, just a question of what your priorities are.

Only real reason to go for a C4S is the widebody look (or if you simply *must* have an AWD 996.2 coupe). It doesn't substantially move the performance needle from the narrow body cars, I'd say, but it is the best looking variant of 996.
Hey Vivek! Bring that sexy C4 down to LA so I can check it out!!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:33 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I DD a 996 in back breaking Boston traffic for 10 yrs and put about 80K miles on it, but enjoyed EVERY single drive. Really. I have dreams about it at times.

I now DD a brand new Audi S8. It's a $130K of tech and power and comfort but boring.

I regret selling my 996. Spend a little extra and buy a well sorted 996.2 and enjoy.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Majdomo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadsession
I DD a 996 in back breaking Boston traffic for 10 yrs and put about 80K miles on it, but enjoyed EVERY single drive. Really. I have dreams about it at times.

I now DD a brand new Audi S8. It's a $130K of tech and power and comfort but boring.

I regret selling my 996. Spend a little extra and buy a well sorted 996.2 and enjoy.
Yup. The E92 is $30k (on a very good day) of Bavarian ***-hauling but not that engaging. It makes most other cars look totally incompetent. Blew through Elysian Park tonight with the sunroof open and music up loud, but it's kind of blah. It's even been described as a German Accord. Ouch.

For S8 money you could have gone a lot of different ways, it's a gorgeous car but did you need the extra room?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:40 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup. The E92 is $30k (on a very good day) of Bavarian ***-hauling but not that engaging. It makes most other cars look totally incompetent. Blew through Elysian Park tonight with the sunroof open and music up loud, but it's kind of blah. It's even been described as a German Accord. Ouch.

For S8 money you could have gone a lot of different ways, it's a gorgeous car but did you need the extra room?
Yeah, I needed the extra room to carry kids as I do morning drop offs at school on many school days. They have a lot of gear etc but I def did not want a SUV, and the Panamera only seats 4, I needed a 5 passenger vehicle.

I looked at the AMG S63, Alpina B7, and the S8. The S8 was faster, more of a sleeper, (3.5sec 0-60mph) and $40K cheaper than the Merc or Alpina...

Quick Reply: DD - 993 or 996??