Sponsored by:

Trunk release failure and missing emergency cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:33 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Trunk release failure and missing emergency cable

So, my '04 996 C2 decided it wasn't going to allow me in the trunk last night after a trip. I can hear the actuator when I pull the switch so I suspect either the actuator itself or the cable and connecting bits may be bad.

I pulled the RF wheel and fender liner to get to the emergency release cable an it's not there. The front end may have been worked on in the past and the cable wasn't put back properly - I don't know. I checked behind the tow hook plug thinking it may have been relocate but no joy.

So, can I access the bowden cable from the driver's side? Is the 5mm socket fastener to remove the headlight accessible from under the fender?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this pic will help you with what the release looks like and where it is located.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ditto
Maybe this pic will help you with what the release looks like and where it is located.
Just came here to say, awesome poster.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:34 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Did you try having someone pull the release while you gently bounced the lid? If you have luggage in there it might have shifted enough to load the latch so it doesn't fully release.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:37 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I don't know why we go through this every couple of weeks. Here it is - if you own a 996 locate your frunk emergency release cable NOW and reroute it to behind the tow hook plug. Or don't...it is so entertaining to read the epic threads of "My battery has died and I can't get in the frunk to change it...what do I do?"

To the OP - you have the right wheel and fender liner off and cannot locate the emergency release cable....better keep looking. You cannot remove the headlights from underneath, you need frunk access. You cannot access the frunk release solenoid unless you have frunk access. You may have to start removing underbody panels in the front and see if you can locate the emergency release cable. It's got to be somewhere up behind the front right fender and bumper area. Pull the right side marker light and look up in there, although since you have the wheel liner off you have access to that area already. Suffice to say, until you find it you are pretty much screwed.
The following users liked this post:
ljh2 (02-22-2022)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:59 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Thanks ditto, but that's not the standard location (and it's not there anyway). Is that a Farrah Fawcett poster on your wall??

fpb111 - yes, no. It sounds different so I suspect something has failed.

DBJoe996, probably because it's not a great design. I haven't had this car very long so haven't relocated it yet but I've relocated it on my GT3. I long ago read the threads. And yes, I'm screwed....

So does anyone know if the bowden cable from the actuator is accessible?

Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:32 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

It just occurred to me I have a Video Stik I bought in the 6 foot length. I can probe around in there and perhaps find where it ended up.

I'll post results.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:56 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

DB: My frunk opens fine, but I have read your warnings many times. The other day I had a few minutes and pulled the latch cover and found what I believe to be the emergency cable running to the passenger side of the car. I tried to pull it back to route to your suggested place. No luck...wouldn't budge! Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I have read that the cable in the passenger compartment is a manual release for the fuel filler door.

On my 99, I found the frunk emergency release cable laying under the passenger headlight. Knowing that, I probably could have fished it out using a wire with a small loop on the end. I now have the tow hook plug looped through the loop on the emergency cable. All I have to do now if I lock myself out of the car (the 99 has the manual release lever on the sill under the drivers door) is pop out the tow hook plug and I will be able to pull the emergency release cable through the hole in the bumper.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:17 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I have read that the cable in the passenger compartment is a manual release for the fuel filler door.
You're not reading from the correct document - check the owner's manual around page 176 - even has a picture where the fuel filler door release is located - open the passenger side door and you should see it.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You're not reading from the correct document - check the owner's manual around page 176 - even has a picture where the fuel filler door release is located - open the passenger side door and you should see it.
Will do. I know the fuel filler door cable is a bit off topic, but my 99 doesn't have the solenoid latch on the fuel filler door. I haven't seen a cable either. Was it removed, or was it an option on the 99s?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

So, I approached my car with the Video Stik2 and imposing 6' probe, saying "You know what this is, don't you?"

I hit the button to the left of the seat and the hood opened, just as normal as could be. I suspect that it was a combination of heat and poor lubrication, but I'll do further testing. While I had the video unit out I did find the cable misplaced way up front where some moron had put it. I would have been able to get it out with the video and a flex hook, I suspect. I pulled the headlight and will relocate it to a more sane location.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 AM
kbollaert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found my emergency release cable disconnected at the latch once. Glad I spotted that before I needed it!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:15 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

So glad you got it sorted out! Well done.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:34 AM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Ditto ^^

Yes, the poster is Farrah.

Quick Reply: Trunk release failure and missing emergency cable