996 Gen 2 Sports Exhaust (PSE) Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Chalky
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Gen 2 Sports Exhaust (PSE) Stuck

Hi All,

I recently removed the rear bumper/fender and heat shields to replace a rusted exhaust bracket on my car. The job went very well but I noticed that one of the braided air lines connecting to the L/H/S silencer PSE servo was hanging off. When I went to move the servo arm to test it, it didn't move at all. I wanted to be careful not to damage anything but it didn't move at all.

I am yet to un-clip the servo arm from the internal silencer mechanism to see which part is actually seized but it felt like the internal flap was seized as it didn't move one bit. Has anyone has come across this before and found a remedy/issue?

I am guessing the air line disconnected itself because of the pressure build up from the seized component.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Joel
Old 04-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I am not sure about the flap valve itself but mine was not working when I got the car. I found both the vacuum hoses had popped off just like yours. Called a local indy Porsche shop who told me that is a common problem. I reconnected them myself and now it's working fine.

Did you hook up a vacuum pump and test to verify it's seized? Beyond that I would remove the muffler and see if you can use penetrating oil to get it to free up. If that won't work then I guess you need a new valve. I'm not sure if those are welded to the muffler/not sold separately or not.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:41 AM
Chalky
Track Day

Hi, Thanks Nick. Its just the left side that is stuck while the right side moves freely by hand. I soaked it with WD40 so maybe it will move when I replace the other exhaust bracket on the weekend.

PS. I seem to be backwards and forwards to the Dresden OPC at the moment. Just bought the gearbox oil from them at £100 for another job on the weekend. Cant wait.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Chalky
Track Day

Nick, mine is also a midnight blue Carrera btw. 2004 sunroof delete.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chalky
Nick, mine is also a midnight blue Carrera btw. 2004 sunroof delete.
Very cool. Sunroof delete is rare, at least here in the USA it is. All my car's options are from the factory including M030 suspension and the PSE.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Chalky
Track Day

Unreal. Mine too. M030 is the way to go in my opinion. That said, there are a lot of cobbled streets here which makes things rather bumpy.

Here it is at the German test station. I got the TUV approved for it on Monday with no advisories which was great. This means I can register and insure it in Germany now.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Chalky
Track Day

I should mention that I had to buy a set of LHD headlights in order to obtain the TUV which cost me shed loads. I managed to get a set of Turbo/C4s units which look very cool with the chrome finish instead of the corrugated plastic finish. I must have found the only set in the UK and had to ship them (very nervously) to Germany.

Anyone wondering if the Turbo/C4s Litronics fit the standard C2 car, they do. No problems.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Very cool. I have the same wheels w/ painted centers. I do have the flared rockers and Carrera rear spoiler on mine. Otherwise basically identical to yours.

I love the rear wiper. Those are also very rare on USA cars.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:14 PM
merlin's glasses
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chalky
Hi, Thanks Nick. Its just the left side that is stuck while the right side moves freely by hand. I soaked it with WD40 so maybe it will move when I replace the other exhaust bracket on the weekend.

PS. I seem to be backwards and forwards to the Dresden OPC at the moment. Just bought the gearbox oil from them at £100 for another job on the weekend. Cant wait.
Hey chalky, did you manage to get the valve unstuck. Since i have a similar problem.

Quick Reply: 996 Gen 2 Sports Exhaust (PSE) Stuck