996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2 weeks, 800 miles and rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes. Having the engine back there definitely increases the paranoia about being rear ended. When I see someone of their phone, I always move over a lane. And ff they pull up alongside me, I give them an earful.

It might be the vent valve. Also some pumps just don't work on our cars - I've seen adaptors for sale. Try flipping the nozzle upside down next time. Edit, found the adaptor, link below.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Vent_Valve.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...stallation.htm
Old 04-19-2017, 12:52 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rogazilla
Also last 2 fill ups, after about 7.5 gallons it trips the gas gun and I have to pump about 0.6 gallon at a time until full.
This is common. Try putting the nozzle in upside down (i.e., handle facing up and away from you). It's how I have to fill my car or it does the same thing. Upside down nozzle though, and never a problem.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Yikes. Having the engine back there definitely increases the paranoia about being rear ended.
If I've gotta be hit in a 911, I want that area to take the hit. It's built like a tank back there and I've seen some nasty accidents where the car that hit the 911 had to be towed off while the 911 was still drivable.

Damn fine cars if you have to be in an accident!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The adapter?! what?! ordering it now and for 8 bucks hopefully that take care of it

Thanks for the information. this site and community is pretty awesome. remind me of my s2ki days
Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have the filler tube and carbon canister checked. Those are the two most likely causes.

The first implies that the fender was off at some point and the tube got bent.

The canister goes bad when you over fill (filling after the auto stop on the pump) and gas backs up and gets into the canister.

Both issues prevent air from escaping correctly which triggers the auto shut off on the pump.

Ours was a pain to fill for ages until my new Indy found that the pipe was all bent up (probably due to the front end collision or repair 10 years or so ago). He straightened it back out as best he could and now it fills just fine.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:50 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by gnat
If I've gotta be hit in a 911, I want that area to take the hit. It's built like a tank back there and I've seen some nasty accidents where the car that hit the 911 had to be towed off while the 911 was still drivable.

Damn fine cars if you have to be in an accident!
That's good to know, but I was thinking from a financial perspective haha. That's the thing with these cars, the value has depreciated but the repair costs haven't.

Have the filler tube and carbon canister checked. Those are the two most likely causes.
This is sound advice and should be done anyway. A clogged tube/canister can have a detrimental impact on your fuel tank. For me, I can fill up normally at some pumps and not at others...which leads me to believe it's some of the pumps. If it's consistent, you may want to do more than adaptor.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't count on that. Our's has 5 claims (4 rear ends) through insurance and 3 had police reports. Carfax still shows it clean as a whistle.
Carfax sucks on so many levels - this is only one of them.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

The adapter?! what?! ordering it now and for 8 bucks hopefully that take care of it

Thanks for the information. this site and community is pretty awesome. remind me of my s2ki days
Wow, this is the first time I've seen anyone mention an adapter for the fuel filler. Looks like a good item. I prolly won't order one, since I'm so used to the upside down nozzle thing. The $8 is better spent on a beer.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
rogazilla
Racer

I didnt think such adapter would exist but I was ordering a parking light bulb, a hardtop mount block off plate anyway so added it to the cart. Will see what happens and I wont rule out doing the other parts but starting from some obvious first.

Still waiting on insurance as they should have the estimate from their shop now... I will call and follow up.

New tires installed and OMG... its like I bought a different car.

I had been feeling all the vibration and movement on the steering wheel the last 800 miles and I thought well it is more connected to the road (although the 997 c2 and 997 turbo didn't do the same thing, but a 996.1 I test drove felt the same way). louder road noise and I constantly felt PSM was interfereing and I can feel a little tweech here and there. All that is gone. Still feel connected but no longer those micro adjustment, the road noise is gone and the car now turns easily and move on a dime.

Still to do: convertible top hydraulic fluid check (it struggles going up and down). parking light bulb, rear bumper fix (insurance), Oil change (parts from LNE arrived yesterday.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Still to do: convertible top hydraulic fluid check (it struggles going up and down). parking light bulb, rear bumper fix (insurance), Oil change (parts from LNE arrived yesterday.
When I first got my cab, I thought the same thing. It's slow, makes a lot of noise, there's a bit squeaking in there too. My indy told me it's normal.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Yup I think that'd be the problem. Filled to the mark between min and max. Operates faster but still squeaks and stutter from one spot. Now just need to check and make sure I don't have a puddle tomorrow morning
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Should I check again next week to fill again anyway? This self bleeding thing will I lose some fluid ?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:02 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Mine squeaks more in the beginning of the top-down season and gets quieter as the season progresses. I'm guessing that something needs to be lubricated but not sure what.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:41 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by wyovino
Mine squeaks more in the beginning of the top-down season and gets quieter as the season progresses. I'm guessing that something needs to be lubricated but not sure what.

Most dip their cars in a vat of WD-40 at the beginning of each season. No more sqeaks, rattles, or rust, and keeps the leather supple.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:05 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Got some White Lithium lube and sprayed the joints. It is getting better but still there. Got some Gumni Plefge (sp?) stuff and lubed any weather stripping I could get to.

Thanks for the Fuel filler adapter advise. It seems to do the trick. Went to gas station that was giving me trouble and fueled to top in 1 go without problem!

The other insurance company has taken 100% liability and the body shop work is approved! Tomorrow I drop the car off to get the rear fixed.

Next is improve headlight, short shift or 997 shifter kit and I think I am done wrenching until the next oil change

Quick Reply: 2 weeks, 800 miles and rear ended