Sponsored by:

New Tire Help for New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:41 AM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tire Help for New Wheels

Just got my new wheels (new to me), 19” Kenises F110 in sized Front 8.5 w 50 offset, Rear 11 w 64 offset.

First, I have read many threads on pros and cons of running 19” wheels on 996. It seems that most of the concerns are related to added weight of larger wheel/tire and stiffer ride due to aspect ratio causing issues with suspension but with no disrespect to those opposed to 19” wheels, I have elected to move forward with them (keep in mind that these wheels are almost 10 lbs lighter than the factory Turbo-look).

As for the tires, I have done allot of research using various wheel and tire comparison programs and reading many many threads on this site and various other Porsche sites. Keep in mind that I do not track my car (may consider some lite tracking in the future for fun only)

Here is what I have found and the tires I am looking at:

Front size: 235/35/19 - this seems to be the size that all members are using and this size is available by many if not all tire manufacturers. (some say that this size fits well but a slight rub at full turn)

Rear size: This is where there is allot of controversy and also limits the various tire manufacturers.

1. 295/30/19 - Many are using this tire size because it is available by more tire manufacturers and is the minimum size recommended for a 11" rim. It offers a smoother ride due to its higher aspect ratio (30). The down side is that it is approx 1" taller than the front and the OEM size. My car being a C2 does not have an issue with the larger dia. (unlike the C4's) but clearance is close.

2. 305/30/19 - This tire is a bit wider (.4"), fits the 11" rim even better but is .2" taller than tire 1. This would only be considered if I went with the Michelin PS2 that are N rated but expensive. Have not found any info during research with this size tire.

3. 315/25/19 - Some also use this size. Is the same dia as front tire and OEM but is much wider. Although I have concerns related to width and fit it seems that others say they fit fine.

Now for manufacturers. I am considering the following:

Michelin PS2: Rated as one of the best tires, N rated, can get in both 295/30 and 305/30. Downside is cost, not sure I want to spend this kind of money. Again, do not track car)

Bridgestone Potenza S-04: Has an excellent rating for both dry and wet traction, rear in 295/30 only, NOT N rated but Y rated and tested. Seems to be the best tire for the price.

Toyo Proxes T1R: do not know much about these tires. Some reviews are great others say that the side walls are too soft and wonder a bit. They are the only tire that comes in the 315/25/19 size that I would consider. The price is also much less than the PS2.

Questions:

1. Has anyone any experience with any of the above tires? Especially the Toyo since I am getting mixed results?

2. Based on the info provided, does anyone have any comments?

3. Do I really need N rated tires? True Porsche purest say yes but most say that any quality Y rated tire is fine.

I am torn between the Bridgstone due to their overall ratings but concerned about being 1" taller and the Toyo due to their width and tire look (I like both) but concerned about the lower ratio (25) having a rougher ride and potential for rim damage if hitting large pot holes and the softer rubber causing slight roll. I have read that the Toyo also gives better edge protection from curb rash due to the tire projecting out from the rim a bit (this is also a positive).

Any comments and advise welcome.
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2022, 02:42 PM
DCG987
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting , best to stick with N2 , be safe

Originally Posted by texcwa
Just got my new wheels (new to me), 19” Kenises F110 in sized Front 8.5 w 50 offset, Rear 11 w 64 offset.

First, I have read many threads on pros and cons of running 19” wheels on 996. It seems that most of the concerns are related to added weight of larger wheel/tire and stiffer ride due to aspect ratio causing issues with suspension but with no disrespect to those opposed to 19” wheels, I have elected to move forward with them (keep in mind that these wheels are almost 10 lbs lighter than the factory Turbo-look).

As for the tires, I have done allot of research using various wheel and tire comparison programs and reading many many threads on this site and various other Porsche sites. Keep in mind that I do not track my car (may consider some lite tracking in the future for fun only)

Here is what I have found and the tires I am looking at:

Front size: 235/35/19 - this seems to be the size that all members are using and this size is available by many if not all tire manufacturers. (some say that this size fits well but a slight rub at full turn)

Rear size: This is where there is allot of controversy and also limits the various tire manufacturers.

1. 295/30/19 - Many are using this tire size because it is available by more tire manufacturers and is the minimum size recommended for a 11" rim. It offers a smoother ride due to its higher aspect ratio (30). The down side is that it is approx 1" taller than the front and the OEM size. My car being a C2 does not have an issue with the larger dia. (unlike the C4's) but clearance is close.

2. 305/30/19 - This tire is a bit wider (.4"), fits the 11" rim even better but is .2" taller than tire 1. This would only be considered if I went with the Michelin PS2 that are N rated but expensive. Have not found any info during research with this size tire.

3. 315/25/19 - Some also use this size. Is the same dia as front tire and OEM but is much wider. Although I have concerns related to width and fit it seems that others say they fit fine.

Now for manufacturers. I am considering the following:

Michelin PS2: Rated as one of the best tires, N rated, can get in both 295/30 and 305/30. Downside is cost, not sure I want to spend this kind of money. Again, do not track car)

Bridgestone Potenza S-04: Has an excellent rating for both dry and wet traction, rear in 295/30 only, NOT N rated but Y rated and tested. Seems to be the best tire for the price.

Toyo Proxes T1R: do not know much about these tires. Some reviews are great others say that the side walls are too soft and wonder a bit. They are the only tire that comes in the 315/25/19 size that I would consider. The price is also much less than the PS2.

Questions:

1. Has anyone any experience with any of the above tires? Especially the Toyo since I am getting mixed results?

2. Based on the info provided, does anyone have any comments?

3. Do I really need N rated tires? True Porsche purest say yes but most say that any quality Y rated tire is fine.

I am torn between the Bridgstone due to their overall ratings but concerned about being 1" taller and the Toyo due to their width and tire look (I like both) but concerned about the lower ratio (25) having a rougher ride and potential for rim damage if hitting large pot holes and the softer rubber causing slight roll. I have read that the Toyo also gives better edge protection from curb rash due to the tire projecting out from the rim a bit (this is also a positive).

Any comments and advise welcome.

Cayman 19” N2
Old 11-23-2023, 01:00 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I recently had a chance to run 3 different tires on the same track on the same weekend. My first sessions were on my Nankang AR-1's near their end of life. By the end of the second session, the cords were showing on 3 out of 4 tires. Best laps were 1:57-1:58.
This set was 265/35/R19 + 305/30/R19.on Apex rims.

Brand new Yokohama Advan Neova AO9, in 255/35R20 + 305/30R20 on the OEM 20" rims. Lap times on these were equivalent to the end-of-life Nankang AR-1's. I bought these new AO9's as my "trackable" street tires. They did not disappoint in that aspect.

Finally, to end the weekend, a session on a set of Pirelli DH slicks (scrubs in front, new in rear). Dropped 6 seconds to 1:52 low. This is why we spend too much for short lived slick tires.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:19 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,050 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Yeah, they make a huge different. What track?
Old 11-23-2023, 01:29 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

INDE Motorsports Ranch, Arizona, times for full circuit clockwise minus the eyebrow between 7 and 9
Old 11-23-2023, 03:01 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 981 Posts

I’ve run my 996 with 19s over a year in nyc traffic had no issues would do it again
my recommendation is GMax great street tire at a good price and can sustain a few auto-x but only if your not all out tracking your car

Quick Reply: New Tire Help for New Wheels