Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New DME/ECU in 2003 4S - Can I just swap everything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:23 PM
orangeman
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New DME/ECU in 2003 4S - Can I just swap everything?

Hi all,

Well, on my 9th official day of 911 ownership, I already has a medium-sized disaster.

I sent my ECU to we well-known tuner via USPS. Long story short, USPS says they delivered to the correct address, tuner has no idea where the ECU is, never took delivery. I am of course still working with the vender and the USPS on this, but it's now been 5 days, and no one knows where my ECU is, so I am planning for the worst. I do not want to go into any further detail on that now, as I am still trying to resolve.

Yes, it was insured, but I am having issues with that end, as USPS says they did their part and delivered the package correctly. I will take care of that as it unfolds. Apparently there was no signature, I assumed there would just be one on an insured priority package.

Anyways, Porsche quoted me $4,975 for a new Bosch DME and the requisite programming to get me back running. I have a high-end shop in my rea also putting together a quote.

As I mentioned, I have no idea (and no control over) what the results of the insurance claim will be. We've all heard the stories. My question is, if buy everything, the ECU, Immobilizer, ignition column, door lock, matching keys, like this example here, and switched everything over, wouldn't that work? HOw would the car know the difference?

I am not trying to reprogram the immobilizer or keys, so why would I need the IPAS codes or previous car's VIN #?

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks a ton. The good news is, you guys might be getting a brand new, unopened IDP Plenum, GT3 throttle body, BMC filter and PC950 lightweight battery for dirt cheap...

Quick Reply: New DME/ECU in 2003 4S - Can I just swap everything?