Greetings everyone - bought a 1999 C4 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 PM
MKnight
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings everyone - bought a 1999 C4 Cab

Howdy everyone,

Lurked on here and a couple other similar sites for the last month or so. Decided to finally take the plunge and bought this in FL (even though I'm in Texas).

It only has (had now ) 9900 miles on it and was garage-kept in NH for most of its life apparently, only driven ~500 miles a year. I did something 80-90% of you would advise against and drove it all over the southeast, visiting friends etc.

I'm fully aware of the lovely IMS issue and the other 18 modes of failure for this era. Its a risk even buying it in the first place and I was unable to get a warranty from the dealer I bought it from. Still not sure if there IS one that I would go with, that would cover IMS, RMS etc (and isn't a dodgy online company).

I need advice on the best outdoor cover I can get, as I do not have a garage or covered parking by my home.

For those wanting a pic, it will have to wait until after I clean it well. There are about 10,000 kamikaze bug corpses and juice all over the front of my hood. By the way, the only issues I had during the trip were insignificant: my driver's seatbelt doesn't like to pull the slack out on its own, forcing me to push/feed it back in. The other is that one time while visiting a friend, the conv top didn't want to respond at all and wouldn't close for 15 minutes (then seemingly randomly, after trying various things like pushing on the frunk and the engine hood, it decided to work).
Old 04-04-2017, 04:40 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Check the FOR SALE section, someone is selling a nice NOAH car cover.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:57 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This...

(welcome btw)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and Welcome!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by MKnight
Howdy everyone,

Lurked on here and a couple other similar sites for the last month or so. Decided to finally take the plunge and bought this in FL (even though I'm in Texas).

It only has (had now ) 9900 miles on it and was garage-kept in NH for most of its life apparently, only driven ~500 miles a year. I did something 80-90% of you would advise against and drove it all over the southeast, visiting friends etc.

I'm fully aware of the lovely IMS issue and the other 18 modes of failure for this era. Its a risk even buying it in the first place and I was unable to get a warranty from the dealer I bought it from. Still not sure if there IS one that I would go with, that would cover IMS, RMS etc (and isn't a dodgy online company).

I need advice on the best outdoor cover I can get, as I do not have a garage or covered parking by my home.

For those wanting a pic, it will have to wait until after I clean it well. There are about 10,000 kamikaze bug corpses and juice all over the front of my hood. By the way, the only issues I had during the trip were insignificant: my driver's seatbelt doesn't like to pull the slack out on its own, forcing me to push/feed it back in. The other is that one time while visiting a friend, the conv top didn't want to respond at all and wouldn't close for 15 minutes (then seemingly randomly, after trying various things like pushing on the frunk and the engine hood, it decided to work).
RE: The conv top. I think all other compartments (i.e. microswitches) have to be closed for the top to work... I don't have a convertible, but my boss has one (a '99 996 w/6500 mi....among a bunch of other cars) and I can remember the guys who take care of the cars having problems with it - none of which had anything to do with broken mechanicals or electronics... It was always some improper process. If you don't have an owners manual there are PDF versions on the internet. Congrats and Good luck!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:29 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

To use the roof on my '00 (should be same on your '99), engine compartment must be firmly closed and the e-brake on. Check for instructions on the back of the drivers side sunvisor.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:12 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

THREAD
Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Wow, that's REALLY low mileage. Congrats! You can drive this car all over the place; it wants to be driven

Quick Reply: Greetings everyone - bought a 1999 C4 Cab