Sponsored by:

Window Switch Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window Switch Relocation?

Gotta love how one project leads to 10 others...

Installing the Numeric Racing short shifter. I'm considering adding a riser to it as well - however, that would ultimately lead to having to completely get rid of the center console - which, leads me to the relocation of the window switches,...

Anyone done this? Seems like I can uninstall them from the console and put them into the blanks on the dash. Not a big deal if I have to extend the wires...

Thoughts?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I relocated mine to the heated seat switch locations in the center 'bat wing' when I removed my console for the Numeric install. It was simple. Of course, my bolted RaceTech 4009s don't require heat.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spinout
I relocated mine to the heated seat switch locations in the center 'bat wing' when I removed my console for the Numeric install. It was simple. Of course, my bolted RaceTech 4009s don't require heat.
I assume that means that you left your console out as well?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
I assume that means that you left your console out as well?
Yes. I removed the console permanently. If I reinstalled it, I wouldn't have had to relocate the window switches.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

So to follow up on this - it was a pretty easy relocation. The hard part was physically getting the large window switch plugs routed up through the dash.

Either way - now the window switches are on the dash, the Numeric is installed, and the console is currently left out - leaving the car 9.8# lighter.

The journey of a track car.....

Old 07-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

So to follow up on this - it was a pretty easy relocation. The hard part was physically getting the large window switch plugs routed up through the dash.

Either way - now the window switches are on the dash, the Numeric is installed, and the console is currently left out - leaving the car 9.8# lighter.

The journey of a track car.....

when you relocated the window switches, did you have the shifter uninstalled? My wiring appears to disappear into the carpet and under the shifter. If so, any issues with just unbolding the shifter, relocating the wires, and bolting it back up?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

when you relocated the window switches, did you have the shifter uninstalled? My wiring appears to disappear into the carpet and under the shifter. If so, any issues with just unbolding the shifter, relocating the wires, and bolting it back up?
To run the wires under the carpet - yes - take the shifter out. It'll make it so much easier. There is no issue in doing that.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

To run the wires under the carpet - yes - take the shifter out. It'll make it so much easier. There is no issue in doing that.
I guess I’m asking if you found that your wires WERE run under the carpet? Mine looks like the loom goes under the carpet. Secondarily, if I unbolt the shifter, do I have to worry about any sort of re-calibrating it when I bolt it back in?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

I guess I’m asking if you found that your wires WERE run under the carpet? Mine looks like the loom goes under the carpet. Secondarily, if I unbolt the shifter, do I have to worry about any sort of re-calibrating it when I bolt it back in?
Ahhh!

Sorry about that... yes. The wires were already under the carpet. Rather than trying to force the whole switch back under the carpet (and since it's a track car) I just made a small slice in the carpet along the top. If you are replacing the console you'll never see it.

If you simply unbolt the shifter - no... you won't have any re-alignment issues. I have done it on my 997 and 996 multiple times without ever having an issue.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Ahhh!

Sorry about that... yes. The wires were already under the carpet. Rather than trying to force the whole switch back under the carpet (and since it's a track car) I just made a small slice in the carpet along the top. If you are replacing the console you'll never see it.

If you simply unbolt the shifter - no... you won't have any re-alignment issues. I have done it on my 997 and 996 multiple times without ever having an issue.
thank you for your help!
Old 08-12-2018, 02:55 PM
jimmy_is_here
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is extending the window wires necessary too?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by jimmy_is_here
Is extending the window wires necessary too?
no, but you might have to untangle the loom to get enough slack. I was able to run the wires up to the horseshoe with enough slack to easily connect them outside of it.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:19 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Love my numeric shifter, the one shame is that its hidden by the console, in your case its not... awesome!!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dan_189
Love my numeric shifter, the one shame is that its hidden by the console, in your case its not... awesome!!
Lol. Not a bit hidden.

Quick Reply: Window Switch Relocation?